Speedo Healer: Guess I Should Have Guessed This..

Guest klinquist

Guest klinquist

I guess I should have figured this out...

The factory speedo on my 6th gen was ~10% high. The odometer was very accurate, however (comparing both to my Zumo).

I bought a speedo healer since I'm a numbers guy and having a speedo that far off bugs the @#$@ out of me. I set it to -9.1% which seems to be the magic number. I track my gas mileage with AccuFueler, an iPhone application. I noticed that I only got 26mpg up in the hills today - I also installed a PC3 which would explain the lower than usual mileage. I then put 2-and-2 together and figured out my odometer is basically -9.1% now too! (so my mileage didn't drop quite that much ... it's usually ~31-32 up in the hills).

Just something you should all keep in mind - and something I'll have to remember when it comes to service intervals...

• Member Contributer

The factory speedo on my 6th gen was ~10% high. The odometer was very accurate, however (comparing both to my Zumo).

I bought a speedo healer since I'm a numbers guy and having a speedo that far off bugs the @#$@ out of me. I set it to -9.1% which seems to be the magic number. I track my gas mileage with AccuFueler, an iPhone application. I noticed that I only got 26mpg up in the hills today - I also installed a PC3 which would explain the lower than usual mileage. I then put 2-and-2 together and figured out my odometer is basically -9.1% now too! (so my mileage didn't drop quite that much ... it's usually ~31-32 up in the hills).

Just something you should all keep in mind - and something I'll have to remember when it comes to service intervals...

Thats something I found out when I was doing the research on this. That you could have either an acurate speedo or an accurate odometer, but not both! (dammit) So I decided to live with the speedo off and keep the accurate odo. (bleah)

MD

Sounds like you got the brake electronic debacle sorted out?? What was it?

Sounds like you got the brake electronic debacle sorted out?? What was it?

Yep - Check out my thread in the 6th gen forum.

My 5th gen is 5mph high all the way through. Pretty simple for me. 75 speedo is 70mph actual.

I still dont know why people need speedo healers.

Mine was about 10% high all the way through. Sounds much more likely yours is a % rather than an actual.

Some of us are just OCD like that smile.gif. I also like my clocks all sync'd up...

People that change the gearing get them usually don't they? I need one because after my new sprockets I now have no idea how fast I am going.

I went with the 1 tooth less front sprocket long ago.

I just do the math in my head to guess at how fast I'm going.

It's a good 10% high on the mph readout, maybe 15%.

I keep having this delusion that I'll get pulled over, but let go because I'm really not sure how fast I'm going, officer.

Pretty sure they wouldn't buy it. :wheel: :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I am -1/+2 on my gearing front and back respectively.

After calibrating with my GPS I found I was about 15mph off at 70mph actual, so 85mph indicated. I am about 8-10mph off at 35mph actual, 43mph indicated. Anywhere between 45mph and 85mph indicated I usually just subtract about 15mph to stay safe in case the GPS batteries die on me

• Member Contributer
I am -1/+2 on my gearing front and back respectively.

After calibrating with my GPS I found I was about 15mph off at 70mph actual, so 85mph indicated. I am about 8-10mph off at 35mph actual, 43mph indicated. Anywhere between 45mph and 85mph indicated I usually just subtract about 15mph to stay safe in case the GPS batteries die on me

I just calibrated mine today also with my GPS, -1/+2 gearing, and got about the same values. 85mph indicated is about 70mph actual (GPS reading), ~15% off.

But my odometer (trip meter actually) is also off. GPS recorded 138 miles, trip meter recorded 150 miles, ~8% off.

I'm going to get a speedohealer also but it seems the best you can do is reset it back to factory to get the odo very close but live with the optomistic speedo? Seems like the original ECU programming isn't very good.

• Member Contributer

With today's technology I know getting an accurate speedo and odometer are quite possible. Methinks that the motorcycle industry leaves the speedo off because so many riders are used to it that they would start getting speeding tickets (more than usual wink.gif) if they were actually calibrated correctly.

"But officer...I swear I was only doing 70 mph even though my speedometer says I was doing 95..." :laugh:

Archived