Possible Vtec Track Bike Project!

Baileyrock

Good idea BR! I have seen several mentions about the Ebay VFR fairing packages which look awesome and on the track, you'll look like you have full sponsorship. I have had this picture as a screen saver from time to time so this may give you some ideas. Good luck, JD

gallery_15237_4519_83557.jpg

6a00e3981df7fc883300e54f345a3b8834-800wi.jpg

Wow, That's a beauty! Would love to build something like that, but my budget is closer to this:

gallery_491_1375_922433.jpg

:lurk:

• Member Contributer

I'd say build a naked bike first, then skin it if you have to (or can afford it). I was also wondering about the side rads with no ducting... Would they still be very efficient?

• Member Contributer

How about some RC-51 plastic?

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz...000rc510004.htm

you may have to fab some brackets to re-orient yuor rads but they at least they would be inside body work designed for side moutned rads.

and pay no attention to the top pic on that link, has absolutely nothing to do with any track days I have participated in.

Screw airtech and their $900 bodywork! :cool: Unless that stuff repairs and re-paints itself, it isn't worth a hoot at those prices! tongue.gif

See post #16. :lurk:

• Member Contributer

that ebay link didnt work for me the first time...looks good. i would go that direction if you can.

I say part that thing out and buy an old 929 or 954 in decent nick... but then again, I did rebuild my '03, for 1500 smackeroonies, all stock except for a K&N air filter...and will be going to the following track on it on May 3rd...

CLICK ME

Edited by Auspañol

Seb,

Are there details on that bike? specifically the sub frame & seat

As far as I know, the guy used the VTEC subframe and seat. He just chopped them up a little to make'em look different.

• Member Contributer
Do this:

gallery_491_1375_922433.jpg

Always kinda liked that one. :blush:

I know the guy who built that one.

Dirk

• Member Contributer

BR, I'll take a look at the bodywork maybe Thursday. I wanted to try the 636 front end on my 5th Gen. Still might one of these days. I do have some parts to try it, but they're bent a little;) Mainly wondering if the RC steering stem will fit into the 636 bottom clamps.

• Member Contributer

They don't fit the Fifth Gen. In the US we had two versions of 636. I think I tried both and forget exactly which did what in the Fifth Gen neck. I want to say both were too thick as far as diameter and Second Gen was too short. I couldn't find a RC steering stem that was affordable to see if the RC stem would press fit into the 636 clamps. Of course with the new Big Piston Forks on the new ZX-6R, perhaps finding some of those would be fun! smile.gif

Still no thoughts from anyone whether it should be of conventional full fairing tuck type configuration or an semi naked upright? :blush:

Go with something different and ride it naked.

+1 :cool:

the bike or BR? :biggrin:

If anyone has the 636 triples - see if they'll bolt straight into the VFR steeringhead...

I'm still working on it, but it looks like the 07 GSXR trees might bolt right up to the Vtec steering head! :biggrin:

Stem is actually longer than the VFR, but the bearing spacing seems almost identical and the lower bearing seems to be the same size too! I think finding a top bearing with the right ID/OD is the only drawback I see so far(other than offset 38 vs 30mm on GSXR)

• Member Contributer

Are the 5th and 6th Gens close enough to get anything useful from me fitting my RC51 bodywork to it? I'm guessing the rads are the main concern and are close enough to make it worth trying. Maybe you could get the intake snorkel from a F3 and route up some ducting for the airbox from the RC51 front intake? Not really ram air, but some cooler air under the tank for the airbox to pick up.

Since you got the parts, go ahead and start bolting stuff up! See what the Gixxer front end looks like in there! :biggrin:

Are the 5th and 6th Gens close enough to get anything useful from me fitting my RC51 bodywork to it? I'm guessing the rads are the main concern and are close enough to make it worth trying. Maybe you could get the intake snorkel from a F3 and route up some ducting for the airbox from the RC51 front intake? Not really ram air, but some cooler air under the tank for the airbox to pick up.

Since you got the parts, go ahead and start bolting stuff up! See what the Gixxer front end looks like in there! :biggrin:

Yes, the 5th & 6th are very close for this purpose, do it! +1.gif

I may mod a fuel tank enough to get a ram air tube or two to the airbox, this could be a fun project all by itself. :cool:

• Member Contributer

On my fifth gen the rads are lower, they are more steeply angled downward, and shorter top to bottom. The RC rads are more square, nearly horizontal, and taller.

Cockpit area is pretty ok with the RC glass but doesn't quite match the lines of the VFR fairing stay. The side venting doesn't line up well with the rads becuase of the above issues. The lower is more than an inch away from meeting the sides and covers much of the rads.

I'd say you'd be better off finding broken crap online and fixing what you need. Either that or nekkid with maybe a little flyscreen type wind deflector.

On my fifth gen the rads are lower, they are more steeply angled downward, and shorter top to bottom. The RC rads are more square, nearly horizontal, and taller.

Cockpit area is pretty ok with the RC glass but doesn't quite match the lines of the VFR fairing stay. The side venting doesn't line up well with the rads becuase of the above issues. The lower is more than an inch away from meeting the sides and covers much of the rads.

I'd say you'd be better off finding broken crap online and fixing what you need. Either that or nekkid with maybe a little flyscreen type wind deflector.

Thanks Kev, I have no problem making up new mount locations to make it work and the upper may need to ride lower anyway for clip-on room.

Hell F4i track bodywork might work, just have to line on up and see if the side ducting is anywhere close to the rads! :biggrin: