Sell Me On A Tire Pressure Gauge

Tightwad

I think it is high time I upgrade from my $1.49 tire pressure gauge to something more reliable. What do you guys use, and how much do they cost? Are digital gauges worth getting? I have straight metal stems, with no plan to go 90 degree stems due to feedback on them, so it has to reach past the discs without too much fuss.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but this one seems to be accurate and has worked for 2 years for me so far. It has half-pound resolution. The "talking" part sounds like a gimmick but it's actually helpful when you're working in poor light or for those of us who are getting a bit near sighted. I'd prefer a sultry female voice though. The right angle head is good for getting in to reach the valve stem.

I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but this one seems to be accurate and has worked for 2 years for me so far. It has half-pound resolution. The "talking" part sounds like a gimmick but it's actually helpful when you're working in poor light or for those of us who are getting a bit near sighted. I'd prefer a sultry female voice though. The right angle head is good for getting in to reach the valve stem.

:fing02: I've been using this one as well for about 10 years checked it against a calibrated one from work(FedEx),right on the money....Mine doesn't give me lip though,I guess the newer ones talk...Monk

I onced crashed a track bike because a cheap tire pressure gauge was giving me bad information... So when I got home I called Marietta Motorsports and told them to send me the most expensive tire gauge they had... it was $100.. it's been accurate ever since... and I've had it about 9 years! It's a Quickcar brand gauge. You can get them a lot cheaper now, I hope they're the same quality.

:fing02: on all points

My first battery lasted almost exactly 1 year and I use the thing a LOT. Pressures on 2 bikes a couple times a week, and 2 cars about once a month. When the battery died, it was about 45 degrees in the garage and didn't have a spare battery, so I took it inside to warm up a little, then went back and finished the job and replaced the battery a day or 2 later.

• Member Contributer

I bought about a half-dozen pressure gauges that look just like this one: Gauge and they work great. All show the same readings and agree with the dial type I have. I also bought this one from Competition Accessories: Different gauge and it works well too. I've gotten so used to the digital gauges that I don't use the dial type anymore.

I have had this one now for several years and like it very much. The curved angle of the head makes it easier to use too.;

I've had several digi guages and I still like the old style roundies better. Batteries die and some are impossible to replace.

I like the S model fromAccuGage w/ the swivel head 0-60psi.

The EZ air is a cool concept but doesnt work all that great.

$15-$25 is not outrageous by any means....$100 might be a bit more than I would want to spend...heck I would be afraid of dropping it!

Anything I get has to be portable. The ROADGEAR one that talks(not sure I need that) looks like the easiest to use with the brake discs in the way, although overall it is a bit big. Here are pictures of each:

445tg102andy.jpg

price = $19.90

17799_1.jpg

price = $14.99

723TG100-8x6.jpg

price = $24.99

sxsxa.gif

price = $11.50

• Member Contributer

I have #1 style and #2 gauge and I can tell you they are a bit of a pain to use on the front wheel on my 5th gen. That is the main reason I put on the 90 degree valve stems. They work well, but aren't the easiest to use. The bottom one does look like the easiest to use on the front wheel.

• 3 months later...

Guys,

Being an old fart the guages I have are old,but that isn't a mark against them....they were hard to find and I have seen few since ..one is a VDO guage 0-120 i have an old Suzi pouch from a fork guageit stays in wrapped in a wash cloth to protect....

my fav is my Michelin guage...nice large easy to read guage with a rubber cushion and hose about 2 ft longwoth handle and the nozzle is adjustable to fit on bikes with large rotors or ones just plain hard to get to....it comes in a sturdy carry case and doesnot leave my sight.....

Rod

• Member Contributer

This one lets you bleed off pressure to the desired psi. No need to keep filling and letting air out. Works great. About $24.00.

http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/2/app....fp/VPID/5153076

Gauge features push button pressure release valve for easy bleeding of excess air. Steel braided hose, swivel angled chuck and rubber armored case complete the package.0-60 PSI.

• Member Contributer

I bought a gauge from Snap-on a few years ago, woven fabric covered hose, nice brass fitting with bleed valve and a good size round gauge that is easy to read. It is always consistent, but needs to be firmly placed on the valve, if there is any hissing at all I get a funny reading.

This was their Bluepoint (something like that) line so it didn't cost a king's ransom, but it wasn't cheap either.

John

• Member Contributer

After my $2 gauge had my riding with 5 psi lower than I wanted, I decided i'd really get something nice. So I went to an Advance auto and spent $12 on an Accugauge, it's brass and has a bleeder, a cloth hose, and seems to be accurate.

• Member Contributer
$15-$25 is not outrageous by any means....$100 might be a bit more than I would want to spend...heck I would be afraid of dropping it!

Anything I get has to be portable. The ROADGEAR one that talks(not sure I need that) looks like the easiest to use with the brake discs in the way, although overall it is a bit big. Here are pictures of each:

445tg102andy.jpg

price = $19.90

17799_1.jpg

price = $14.99

723TG100-8x6.jpg

price = $24.99

sxsxa.gif

price = $11.50

A couple years ago HRCA was giving away an electronic one that I think is the same one as the top. It seems like it matches the cheapie stick models I have and the cheapie filler chuck on my compressor. I checked the electronic one against Kens fancy one and it's dead on.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

If you're really serious and want to put that issue to bed, get a Longacre Racing gauge. They're expensive. Nascar and every kind of racing team you can imagine depends on them for accuracy. You can send them back to the factory for re-calibration too. That's what I use after enough of the cheap chit costing me.... :blink:

445tg102andy.jpg

price = $19.90

17799_1.jpg

price = $14.99

723TG100-8x6.jpg

price = $24.99

sxsxa.gif

price = $11.50

I've got a couple of the Roadgear, the top model shown here. Got them free via HRCA membership (since lapsed. They have proven to be accurate, durable and therefore very useful. Free makes them even better.

Archived