Remote Door Opener

Twox48

• Member Contributer

I know I'm being lazy, but when I leave the house or return from a ride, I have to dismount, walk to the keypad, pull my gloves off, punch in my code, return to the bike, and drive it into the garage or out the driveway. I tried carrying a remote in my pocket but still had to pull my gloves & fumble for it. I was always worried I'd lose it as well.

Well today while waiting for another pending 12" of snow to start falling I decided to make a mod that I've been wanting to do since I got my bike. A remote door opener button.

Step 1:

Locate new switch location & remove right side fairings.

Step 2:

I picked up a RadioShack pushbutton switch #275-644 for $2.69 right off the shelf.

gallery_9056_4462_821851.jpg

switch.JPG

Step 3:

I carefully drilled a 1/2" hole & mounted the new switch to the inner fairing piece.

gallery_9056_4462_405606.jpg

Opener Switch.jpg

Step 4:

I had a spare remote control so I pryed it open to see if I could easily determine the circuit that gets connected when I push the button. Tho pretty small, it was pretty clear to my untrained eye which 2 posts I needed to tie into. I soldered some bellwire to the posts, notched the case for the new wires and snapped the cover back together. It looked like new except for the new wires protruding.

A little velcro (& a zip-tie for extra measure) to secure it in place and then soldered the switch to the other ends.

gallery_9056_4462_42143.jpg

Wired Switch.jpg

I got the fairings mounted and within 30 minutes I had one of the least expensive yet handiest farkles I've done to my VFR! :goofy:

Now for this darn snow to melt & roads to clear... :wheel:

• Member Contributer
I know I'm being lazy, but when I leave the house or return from a ride, I have to dismount, walk to the keypad, pull my gloves off, punch in my code, return to the bike, and drive it into the garage or out the driveway. I tried carrying a remote in my pocket but still had to pull my gloves & fumble for it. I was always worried I'd lose it as well.

Well today while waiting for another pending 12" of snow to start falling I decided to make a mod that I've been wanting to do since I got my bike. A remote door opener button.

Step 1:

Locate new switch location & remove right side fairings.

Step 2:

I picked up a RadioShack pushbutton switch #275-644 for $2.69 right off the shelf.

gallery_9056_4462_821851.jpg

switch.JPG

Step 3:

I carefully drilled a 1/2" hole & mounted the new switch to the inner fairing piece.

Opener Switch.jpg

Step 4:

I had a spare remote control so I pryed it open to see if I could easily determine the circuit that gets connected when I push the button. Tho pretty small, it was pretty clear to my untrained eye which 2 posts I needed to tie into. I soldered some bellwire to the posts, notched the case for the new wires and snapped the cover back together. It looked like new except for the new wires protruding.

A little velcro (& a zip-tie for extra measure) to secure it in place and then soldered the switch to the other ends.

gallery_9056_4462_42143.jpg

Wired Switch.jpg

I got the fairings mounted and within 30 minutes I had one of the least expensive yet handiest farkles I've done to my VFR! :goofy:

Now for this darn snow to melt & roads to clear... :wheel:

Good job! It looks good and should work like a charm. I have always placed my remote in my left side pants pocket and as I approach my house, press the button and ride right in. I like your effort because I often worry about losing the remote. :wheel:

Nice work. I suppose you could get a smaller transmitter as well,

but if that's the one you have, it works. :goofy:

My wife trained herself to most of the time hit the button inside the house when she hears me returning to base. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Nice, looks good, mine is wired up almost exactly the same and the remote mounted in same location. I ran the wires to a relay though that ties in to the high beam circuit so I can just click the high beams.

• Member Contributer

My wife trained herself to most of the time hit the button inside the house when she hears me returning to base. :wheel:

I wish I could train mine to fix dinner when I pulled up in the drive way!!! Now that would be a great "how to" thread.

Same here......and then my little angel runs out and greets me!

That looks good though. It compliments the heated grip switch nicely.

• Member Contributer

That is extremely cool. I have a patch of velcro on my remote, and I stick it to the top of my brake master cylinder. But I have destroyed a few remotes when I've forgotten to take them off there when it's raining. Those suckers are expensive! I've also seen kits to do this, but they're even more expensive than the remotes. This mod combines the best of both worlds.

• Member Contributer

:goofy: SHAMELESS PLUG HERE :wheel: OR SEE THE VFRD CLASSIFIEDS AND GET A GREAT DEAL ON A FLASH2PASS part # 102102

a complete kit going cheap ,

thanks Doug

*********ITS UNDER VFRD CLASSIFIEDS < UNDER PARTS & ACCESSORIES *********************

$70 SHIPPED *********thanks Doug

• Member Contributer

VFR4Lee,

I had the spare remote & there was more than enough room so I said to myself "why spend another $35."

And I tried to train my wife to do that but somewhere I musta gone wrong... I think she hears me coming & locks the doors!

Thanks for the compliments everyone... I thought it was a great idea and am very happy with the results.

• Member Contributer

I swear it looks like you took pictures of my bike! I have a red '04 with the same setup. Same switch. Even the same heated grip switch in the same location! I put my remote in a plastic bag for added protection from water.

Opener Switch.jpg

Guest slowf2337

I have a door opener that is the size of a key fob velcroed to my top tripple. Less work then this but yours looks much nicer.

• Member Contributer

I spent $28 for a new remote that is the smallest IntelliRemote Genie makes. Fits on a key chain quite nicely and even comes with a LED flash light. I snug it in my tank bag or a side pants pocket.

Still, that is a nice install job. I am just to paranoid to attack a garage door opener to my bike. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I wish I could train mine to fix dinner when I pulled up in the drive way!!! Now that would be a great "how to" thread.

There's a button you can push for that as well, she knows where it is.

• Member Contributer
I spent $28 for a new remote that is the smallest IntelliRemote Genie makes. Fits on a key chain quite nicely and even comes with a LED flash light. I snug it in my tank bag or a side pants pocket.

Still, that is a nice install job. I am just to paranoid to attack a garage door opener to my bike. wink.gif

Hey, that's why you own your bike & I own mine... if it works for you, great. I just know that I'll never have to worry about not having my remote with me, losing it or even have to come to a stop before I pull into the garage. :fing02:

And there's plenty of room so once it's covered who cares how big it is! I actually used that big remote because it was so big. Now I can go buy a smaller 2 button remote to keep in my Camaro. :goofy:

There's a button you can push for that as well, she knows where it is.

Kel,

Yes she does! And she guards it like the Crown Jewels! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I'll be doing the same mod when I install the opener on my second bay. The truck is too big to fit (by less than a foot!), so the VFR and lawn tractor get the second bay.

I just have to get my buddy's S2k out of the way to install the opener (at least its a honda...)

I did a similar install, but the button went under the windshield pillar....most people don't even see it. I don't worry about having my garage door opener on there because if they are in the garage with my bike, they can already get the door open. If they steal my bike, they have to bring it home to open the door.

Meh!

I say, "Meh!"

My remote is invisible - mounted under the fairing, out of the weather, away from prying eyes. Can't even get damp from exuberant washing off the bike.

It's not a problem being inaccessible, as the battery lasts so long that I don't need to get at the remote very often.

And the switch? I toyed with the idea of using the high-beam flasher, and will use that method once my switch wears out or stops working (again - it's the second one; the first didn't last long).

For now, the switch is where the headlight switch would be if the bike had one - I removed the blanking plate from the right switch block, drilled a hole through it, and remounted it.

gallery_3710_217_141615.jpg

Magic Door Opener button

Edited by enzed_viffer

• Member Contributer
I did a similar install, but the button went under the windshield pillar....most people don't even see it. I don't worry about having my garage door opener on there because if they are in the garage with my bike, they can already get the door open. If they steal my bike, they have to bring it home to open the door.

I was thinking about hiding it there too but figured it was easier to install & reach where I put it.

And I said the same thing. If they can use the switch to get out it's already too late! They've got the bike! But I never thought about the fact they have to bring it back to use it! :fing02:

• 9 months later...
Guest nogoodpig

I'll soon be installing one on my VFR just as I did on both my Ducatis, I just jumpered the push button to be on all the time, then I wired the power to the GDO from the hight beam power. On the Ducs they have a flash to pass button that makes it extra nifty. On the VFR I'll just use the high beam switch.

Leo Smith