Tank protector

whenindoubt01

• Member Contributer

I'm looking for something to protect my tank. I like the looks of the bra but I don't know which brand I would like and the pros and cons about them. I don't think I want a sticker on my tank and maybe there is some other products I'm not aware of. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I use "the tank slapper", it a clear vinyl that goes on with water and be removed and reapplied anytime.

Its almost impossible to see and it protects very well. I don't like the tank bras because dirt and grit get under them and scratch up the paint.

• Member Contributer
I use "the tank slapper", it a clear vinyl that goes on with water and be removed and reapplied anytime.

Its almost impossible to see and it protects very well. I don't like the tank bras because dirt and grit get under them and scratch up the paint.

DITTO!

Love the tank slapper. Buy the whole kit. Well worth the $!!

• Member Contributer

Tank bras and the like always remind me of my mother's slipcovers: why cover up something to protect it if you can't see it. Granted it will protect the paint, but if you can't see it who cares. The clear protector sounds okay though. I mean I bought my bike to ride, a few scuffs just show character, IMO.

• Member Contributer
Tank bras and the like always remind me of my mother's slipcovers: why cover up something to protect it if you can't see it. Granted it will protect the paint, but if you can't see it who cares. The clear protector sounds okay though. I mean I bought my bike to ride, a few scuffs just show character, IMO.

Granted. But I love my custom, to match the seat. Fleece backing, so's not to scratch like felt, and I get more grip from it, than a tank slapper.

Sounds like you need a tank slapper.

• Member Contributer

I have a tank bra for my F4i and my RR. I use them when I road trip over night or longer. No problems scratching the paint, just keep it waxed, take it off to wash the bike and leave it off until drt. Both of my bikes are easy to install remove the tank bra in a couple of minutes.

I've had the tank slapper stuff for both bikes as well. The stuff yellows over time and one of the kits yellowed rather fast and became somewhat hard. I ordered the entire kit for both bike and after fidgeting with the knee pad part, and one rear cowl section, I decided it wasn't worth it. It does look good, but it you wax your bike, your gonna get wax on the edge of the stuff and when you clean it off (the wax on the edge) your gonna pull the edge up and the only way to have it lay back down is to reapply the stuff. After the initial install, it gets a memory which helps with future installs, but to me it was still too much trouble.

If you are just looking for buckle protection, or that area of the tank, I think the Honda carbon fiber stick on pads are nice. The glue is easy to clean off with wax and grease remover should you ever decide too, but I doubt you will.

In the end, I simply don't use anything on my daily rides, but I keep my bikes clean and waxed, I don't wear a belt or a jcaket with a zipper that's gonna rub, and on long trips I install the bra. (I too think the bra detracts from the beuatiful paint job on these machines, but so does my luggage I use on trips and just consider it all as a necessary evil).

• Member Contributer

Thanks all. I just slightly marked my tank with a zipper on my knee. I have tried to be cautious, but it happened. I might be able to buff it out, it's just a black mark (paint off of zipper) I hope.

• Member Contributer

Howdy,

I am having good luck with Tech Spec Grip Skins. I mainly bought them for tank protection, but they do aid when braking.

I think that they are worth checking out.

Mac

I use Mag-Knight tank protector. With my bike being black, its nearly invisible, but they come in different colors to match. It goes on magnetically. the first time you put it on, you use a heat gun to conform it to the tank exactly. And it pulls right off if you need it to, and after the first application, it just magnetically sticks right back on. I like it a lot.

check out their website. http://www.mag-knight.com/ Just notice, They've even got a VFR to show off the product on the main page. Awesome!

• Member Contributer

My first try at tank protecting was the magnetic bra from mag-knight.com. It was flexible COLOR match wrap around bra show on a VFR on the opening page of their web site. A very cool product. It requires that you mold the magnetic plastic "skin" to your gas tank using heat to make things flexible. I picked a very hot day, I left the bike and the cover in the sun for a long while to heat up AND I had a hair dryer and heat gun ready to finish the job. My 20 year old son and I worked for hours to try and get the perfect fit and the wrinkles always came back. It was a great product, but I just couldn't get the fit right and I repeated the installation over and over with the same results.

My second try was to order STOMP GRIP from stompdesign.com. It's the same company that makes the grip for snowboards. The plastic was a little TOO aggressive for me - I didn't want to shred the knees on my leather pants. But you sure could grip the tank with that stuff!

I almost went without anything until I noticed a little rub where the fold in my leather pants rubs one particular place on the tank. No amount of care/wax/cleaning could stop the rubbing. Not good.

I finally applied Snider's Paintguard from Aerostich.com (item #9058 at $14.00 for three 11X14 sheets). Optically clear 7.5 mil vinyl plastic, removable, cheap and it goes on with surface tension suction. I designed two large ovals from a template I made with a simple draw computer program and cut out the plastic. It installed smooth and easy with a little water and a squeegee. After almost 18 months it is holding up very well. A little wax build up is starting to creep into the upper edge of the plastics, but it's almost invisible and it can be pealed off and thrown away when I'm done. I'd post a photo, but there's nothing to look at. I also added a couple small ovals to where the front of the seat rubs the tank and in the back where the solo cowl rubs the plastic on the seat cowl.

And the oval shape - no corners to peal. The smooth rounded edges stay put!

Snider's Paint Guard Works For Me !

• Member Contributer
Lockhart Phillips tank bra.

I bought it used for 20.

I personally think the bike looks better with it.

DSCN1058.jpg

That's exactly what I have. Came with the bike. Not real pretty, but it does the job of keeping my gut from rubbing the paint off the tank.

I think the next thing I'll try is losing weight and getting my abs in shape. Maybe starting Monday, or the following Saturday, or, no, how about two weeks from now, or...

Remember, procrastination kills. At least I think it does. I'll have to think on that a bit and get back to it later.

I bought this (http://www.proobikes.com/default.asp?ids=489&idm=428〈=eng) as I have a custom yellow paint on the bike that is not unfortunately covered with top vernish. It works well, only that the vinyl sticker gets dirty from my pants which is visible on a yellow background, but can be cleared. But what would I not to do for adding few kangaroos in the power :lurk:

When I bought my used 02 it came with the Bagster system http://www.bagster.com/en/showroom.php?id=...mp;id_moto=3558

Bagster

It also came with the tank bag that clips to the tank protector and love it. When you need to get gas you just unclip the rear clips and flip the bag up. Very nice setup. It's kind of deflated in the picture but it's expandable and holds a lot of stuff.

gallery_12013_4138_67789.jpg

P7200400.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Tank bras are so 90's! Had one on my 95 years ago and really got tired of the look. "Ages" the look of the bike IMO.

Magknight magnetic tank pads have worked for many very well for many years and doesn't have that cheapy vinyl look. You should also check on it.

Beck

95 VFR

Archived