Winter Means.... Keep Riding!

dsc00060wt2.jpg

With £12 sitting in my pocket, an empty VFR tank and a free Saturday afternoon I went for a ride in the cold 2c air of January round some dirty back-roads around the Lincolnshire Wolds.

1st stop, my local dealer for a quick look at the helmets (need a new one), boots (need some new ones), and textile waterproof trouser (yep you guessed it).

Found this nice looking 5th gen, just been sold in the showroom...

dsc00058ov2.jpg

Then I headed for the city to grab myself a bacon and cheese roll before setting off (- £2), some of the roads around here are glorious, tight twisty and narrow in places, tricky in the middle of winter but still a great challenge... with scenery this flat you don't have much else to distract you.

dsc00061dp0.jpg

dsc00064xr3.jpg

I filled up the silver bullet (-£10) and headed out, equipped with my split lead I can now have both my heated gloves and jacket on at the same time (watch out for that if you want gerbing gear, the new version needs a split lead to work both).

dsc00063rr7.jpg

dsc00066ag5.jpg

Even though it were damn cold, I felt toasty warm the whole ride, not once did I feel I needed more power, torque-ing my way out of corners or screaming into VTEC on long sweepers.. great fun and right now I wouldn't want to be on any other bike..

I mean just look at her :laugh:

dsc00059yz3.jpg

Cheers!

Steve

''that last pic looks like the lion is checking your bike out. glad to see you got out''

that's funny.. it was facing the other way when I pulled up :fing02: :fing02:

Thanks guys, as I've said before, Winter riding can be very satisfying so long as you are warm, comfortable and have some nice breaks of sunshine. Even riding in the rain can be rewarding but I always use a neck 'buff' nowadays since I've realise it stops the visor going all misty when stuck at traffic lights... only just found that one out this Winter :biggrin:

I do need a new helmet and boots though, any ideas would be appreciated

Ride safe,

Steve

• Member Contributer
I'd give mt right arm for a bacon bap right about now.

A what?

No way I'd even think of riding on the roads around here. It was 43 degrees on Friday but the roads were covered in salt and whatever else they put on the roads.

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the write up, no heated gear yet so haven't gotten the VFR out in a while. Spring is right around the corner though!

I was out Thursday and Friday. 23 in the morning but 51 and 55 both afternoons. Of course now there's a half an inch of snow on the ground now... If you need heated grips check out sporttour.com on Reading Road in Sharonville, They're pretty nice people in there.

• Member Contributer

The weather and roads have been lousy for about two weeks or so. I was going stir crazy, so I went out for a ride today. It was 26F, but it didn't feel too bad. My face got cold - need a balaclava or the like. Only stayed out a bit over an hour, but if I had slowed down a bit rather than blasting down the highway at 75-80 mph, I could have stayed out longer.

I'm going to finally try out my heated clothing this coming weekend. That is, if the roads are clear and it's not snowing. I was going to use it today, but when I plugged in, I immediately blew a fuse. The socket I used was on a 5 amp fuse circuit, and it should have been a 15 amp. I'll pick some of these up this week.

It felt good to get out.

• Member Contributer

:lurk: hi steve,im a lincs woulds rider,but dont recognise the entrance with the lions!im off the road at the moment be doing the vfr harness upgrade and fitting a battery volt meter.nearly done.my last ride out was in december to do a christmas parcel run with the british legion riders : to the military hospital in birmingham.my next job is put all the bits back then get my bike m.o.t.and taxed then im legal and ready for the off. :lurk: my big trip this year will be the a ride to the ww1 battle fields in belgium in may.regards rob.

Wouldn't mind swapping some of your Northern hemispere cold weather at the moment.

We are having a heat wave with about 10 days over 40deg C, Wednesday was 46deg C (thats about 115 in your language).

Wouldn't mind swapping some of your Northern hemispere cold weather at the moment.

We are having a heat wave with about 10 days over 40deg C, Wednesday was 46deg C (thats about 115 in your language).

Sure go ahead rub it in. :lurk:

• Member Contributer

Hmmm first photo, they cage the trees and let the lions run free.

Got to get me some of that heated gear.

btw:The silver ones are the swiftest. :biggrin:

but I always use a neck 'buff' nowadays since I've realise it stops the visor going all misty when stuck at traffic lights... only just found that one out this Winter

I wear a half fleece neck buff, but mine doesn't help stopping the visor from fogging up. What does is just a single tiny drop of washing up liquid and a microfibre cloth to smear it over the inside of the visor. I see my breath swirling inside my helmet but no fogging visor :biggrin: I do want a new chin piece for my helmet as lately it seems more cold air is entering my helmet from the chin area.

• Member Contributer

Sure go ahead rub it in. :cool:

LOL. No doubt.

The loin, (on the right, in the last pic), looks jealous. LOL.

Must be nice to be able to get out. BEAUTIFUL, scenery. Thanks. Helps to ease this crappy weather.

Hmmm first photo, they cage the trees and let the lions run free.

:biggrin: :huh: now there irony for you.

Well I've managed to make it to work today in SNOW!! .. and it's just started up again and I don't leave till after dark :blink:

.. oh and, my heated gear has packed up again :excl: :excl:

I'm going to finally try out my heated clothing this coming weekend. That is, if the roads are clear and it's not snowing. I was going to use it today, but when I plugged in, I immediately blew a fuse. The socket I used was on a 5 amp fuse circuit, and it should have been a 15 amp. I'll pick some of these up this week.

Same thing has just happened to me with the new leads I've just got :fing02:

It's suppose to be a 15 amp surely!

Archived