2005 Vfr800 Bent Rear Axle

TimTomCat

• Member Contributer
How the F is that possible??? No crashes and it's that far out? That's ridiculous!

2.3mm? That's HUGE for an axle. :beer:

I have had mine out to clean and repack the rear hub bearings/replace cush rubbers and that axle is stubby and beefy.

I can't imagine the force it would take to bend it.

I'd love to see a youtube video of this axle chucked up in a lathe spinning at low speed with the dial indicator on it.

Check out the following Quicktime movie if anyone is still interested!

http://users.bigpond.net.au/transitqld/vfr_axle.mov

Wow - you can see visible runout in the video ---- Can you say, new axle? -New bearings while your at it too....

MD

• Member Contributer

I can see what has the owner alarmed but I would still pull the axle and spin it in V Blocks or a Lathe to

elinimate any possibility of bearings...

:beer:

You can see the other end wobbling too, may just be faulty bearings.

Upon closer inspection of the axle he noted just how thin the wall of the axle is near the axle nut.

Was the axle nut torqued up to 1000Nm or something?

• Member Contributer
Check out the following Quicktime movie if anyone is still interested

Something not right, that's for sure. Can't tell if it's just the cush drive end that is out or the whole thing gone wonky in the eccentric's bearings. What's it look like from the other side ?

• Member Contributer

Something not right, that's for sure. Can't tell if it's just the cush drive end that is out or the whole thing gone wonky in the eccentric's bearings. What's it look like from the other side ?

The other side is fine (except for about 1.0mm on the tyre & rim which could just be balancing runout), it has already been pulled down and the bearings are perfect, would appear that it is only bent on the cush side.

• Member Contributer

The other side is fine (except for about 1.0mm on the tyre & rim which could just be balancing runout), it has already been pulled down and the bearings are perfect, would appear that it is only bent on the cush side.

By the way, it has only been pulled down and put back together because their wasn't any axles available in Australia and is on back order from Japan!

The other side is fine

From the video it doesn't look like it. If you play the video full screen and hold e.g. a pencil near the edge of the other end of the axle you can clearly see it wobbling too.

I don't think the wobble on the other end is from swingarm movement caused by the imbalance from the spinning cush drive.

vfraxle1spinmb3.gif vfraxle1spindetailhl9.gif

• Member Contributer
If you play the video full screen and hold e.g. a pencil near the edge of the other end of the axle you can clearly see it wobbling too.

That's what I was thinking - guess the proof will be in replacing the axle. My guess is the problem will still be there because you have a bearing problem.

i have an 03 and i too have had to replace the rear axle because it was bent. it was done at a honda dealership. i went to pick up the bike and the mechanic asked if i wanted the old axle. i got the axle and wiped it clean to inspect it... it is cracked all the way through. you can see the crack from the inside and the outside. and the crack wraps about 2/3 the way around. i need to post some pics. no accidents on the bike that i know of. i bought the bike with 3000 miles. noticed a slight wobble one day.

• Member Contributer
The other side is fine

From the video it doesn't look like it. If you play the video full screen and hold e.g. a pencil near the edge of the other end of the axle you can clearly see it wobbling too.

I don't think the wobble on the other end is from swingarm movement caused by the imbalance from the spinning cush drive.

vfraxle1spinmb3.gif vfraxle1spindetailhl9.gif

Thanks for the extra detail on that V4 Rosso!

I didn't spot the wobble by eye on the other side.

If you play the video full screen and hold e.g. a pencil near the edge of the other end of the axle you can clearly see it wobbling too.

That's what I was thinking - guess the proof will be in replacing the axle. My guess is the problem will still be there because you have a bearing problem.

Hi SAFE_T,

Bearings have already been checked when it was pulled down, no problems with any of the bearings.

As stated in a previous reply it had to be put back together while a new axle is on backorder from Japan.

My thought is same as V4 ROSSO, over torque. Just not possible for an outside force to bend that without any other damage. That of course ruling out a defective part from the start.

Hi original007,

If it has been over torqued then it has happened at the Honda dealership as it was assembled, delivered, and serviced by them for 3 years.

i have an 03 and i too have had to replace the rear axle because it was bent. it was done at a honda dealership. i went to pick up the bike and the mechanic asked if i wanted the old axle. i got the axle and wiped it clean to inspect it... it is cracked all the way through. you can see the crack from the inside and the outside. and the crack wraps about 2/3 the way around. i need to post some pics. no accidents on the bike that i know of. i bought the bike with 3000 miles. noticed a slight wobble one day.

Hi PJ_C,

Finally someone else who has had a bent rear axle!

Did the dealership elaborate on how this might have happened?

No obvious cracks in mine that I know of, just hope there isn't any hairline cracks that haven't been picked up, umm, might not ride it until the new axle is in!

dealership didnt even notice until i they gave me the part and i wiped the grease off. i showed him and he didnt look surprised or concerned. i was very concerned. never contacted honda about it. i probaly should have. i have never hit anything or never laid the bike down... no accidents at all that i know of. not sure how it happened, just glad it was noticed and fixed. it cost me about $230 labor and all. i didnt think that was too bad.

It will probably still shake if you take your hands off the bars at 30-45 mph. As larry was saying. it's normal.

Good luck on the axle thing.

• Member Contributer
i need to post some pics.

Yes please.

13 years of producing the same SSSA hub

2 cases of bent axles

Honda may be sleeping in the VFR department, but I seriously doubt this is a factory fault.

Ok, maybe a stone.

Maybe something else...

Did anyone check countershaft run out?

Anyone out there had or know of anyone having a bent rear axle on a VFR800?

Just got off the phone to my mechanic! Bent rear axle.

I'd been chasing this problem for a while through tyre dealers and Honda dealer twice.

Take your hands off the bars momentarily at about 80Klms/hr and the bars would shake, not greatly noticeable while hands were on the bars though.

I've had the bike since new and done 36000 klms, Honda dealer says they have never replaced a rear axle.

When I asked the mechanic how could this happen he says I must have hit something big or something gone through the chain and sprockets, no such thing has ever happened.

So if anyone has had the same problem please reply!

I'm surprised the axle isn't solid ! !

Thankfully it is not. having a solid axle would only add weight, not strength.

Ok....Thx.....Learn something every day........

Archived