More Power?

Guest kneeinpain

Question

Guest kneeinpain

Since Honda didn't come out with the long-rumored 1000cc V5, I'd like to try to coax a little more power out of my 800cc '04. Having the Vtec pretty much limits any serious modifications for power boost, so what have you all done to pick up a few more horses without affecting reliability?

Thanks.

23 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

LOL. Here it comes. LOL.

Sprockets, P.C., Cat gut, are prolly going to be the major ones. The rest is splitt'n hairs.

Torocharger (Is it still coming??)....or something similar.

The complex top ends of the VFRs, gear driven cams or VTEC does not lend to some simple simple "hot rodding" practices (cam profiling or shaving the deck for more squish) except for doing an overbore with bigger pistons so you have more displacement. Pressurizing the charge air into the engine, via a turbo or supercharger would be still the most feasible/affordable way to go that will give the most bang for the buck.

Easier way yet is just to get yourself a CBR 600/1000 and forget all the potential troubles of doing a custom job on your bike.

Beck

95 VFR

Torocharger (Is it still coming??)....or something similar.

The complex top ends of the VFRs, gear driven cams or VTEC does not lend to some simple simple "hot rodding" practices (cam profiling or shaving the deck for more squish) except for doing an overbore with bigger pistons so you have more displacement. Pressurizing the charge air into the engine, via a turbo or supercharger would be still the most feasible/affordable way to go that will give the most bang for the buck.

Easier way yet is just to get yourself a CBR 600/1000 and forget all the potential troubles of doing a custom job on your bike.

Beck

95 VFR

Has anyone ever done a successful overbore on one of these bikes? (The CBR is out of the question as I need the room and comfort of the

vfr (6'5" 210). My knees and wrists can no longer take being folded up on dedicated sport bike for more than 20 minutes...)

Thanks

• Member Contributer

big bore kits are available but are expensive and aren't really gonna add that much more power. you've also gotta find someone that knows how to do it right.

excluding Dan's supercharged VFR, the most credible dyno readout i've seen was about 110 rwhp (up from 99 stock rwhp.) the guy had catless headers, a PCIII, and an aftermarket air cleaner and cans.

your best is to buy a more powerful bike and modify it for more comfy ergos. Heli-bars, lowered footpegs, and a taller windscreen usually aren't difficult or expensive mods.

whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

The cheapest and easiest way to feel/think like you have more power is to go 1-tooth down on the front sprocket($30 & 30 min.) everything else is high cost for little gain. :unsure:

big bore kits are available but are expensive and aren't really gonna add that much more power. you've also gotta find someone that knows how to do it right.

excluding Dan's supercharged VFR, the most credible dyno readout i've seen was about 110 rwhp (up from 99 stock rwhp.) the guy had catless headers, a PCIII, and an aftermarket air cleaner and cans.

your best is to buy a more powerful bike and modify it for more comfy ergos. Heli-bars, lowered footpegs, and a taller windscreen usually aren't difficult or expensive mods.

+1

'

I'm with Keystone if you're average size or smaller, this is what I've been batting around doing with a 600 supersport (how 'bout that new CBR600R ABS?) as I'm more interested in handling than outright power and the current crop are fantastic handling right from the factory. Corbin or Sargent seat, MRA VarioTouring Screen, Convertibars/Heli's, heavy bar ends. Footpegs are fine for my inseam (5'10 with a 32 inseam) but you could lower them too, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you actually like a bigger bike there are lots of options but I like the Sprint ST. I just don't want a bike that big, I'd like a nice new 4th gen VFR that's a bit better done (USD suspension with full compression and rebound adjustability, radial brakes) and a bit lighter rather than a bigger 1000cc V5 that's already covered by the ZX-14, the Sprint and maybe even the FJR1300.

ALTHOUGH, to steal Skuuter's idea (I think), all it really takes to make your VFR feel more powerful is some seat time on a DR650 :unsure:

• Member Contributer
The cheapest and easiest way to feel/think like you have more power is to go 1-tooth down on the front sprocket($30 & 30 min.) everything else is high cost for little gain. :rolleyes:

How does this effect mpg? I think I read in an earlier post that you averaged 40 mpg. Thanks, JD

I've had several bikes and the VFR is still the best all-arounder. A 10 horsepower gain would be fine. The power commander, K&N and cans I'm familiar with. But What is a catless header?

Thanks, Tom.

I've had several bikes and the VFR is still the best all-arounder. A 10 horsepower gain would be fine. The power commander, K&N and cans I'm familiar with. But What is a catless header?

Thanks, Tom.

I have only seen 1 vtec that showed a 10 hp gain(110) with all these mods and that's tinyminds, No other Vtec with all the same mods has shown thoughs gains, showing 100-104 hp or little gain for a major amount of time and money.

The PCIII is $350, K&N $80, Slip-ons $800, catless headers $300-800 depending on used(very hard to find) or Preditor unit and if you didn't have acess to the custom map available here that would be another $300+.

That's at least $1500-2000 to potentially gain maybe 5 hp if your lucky, add another $1500-2000 and you could have a 01 GSXR 750 or 929 sitting next to your Viffer. :fing02:

Thanks, Tom.

I have only seen 1 vtec that showed a 10 hp gain(110) with all these mods and that's tinyminds, No other Vtec with all the same mods has shown thoughs gains, showing 100-104 hp or little gain for a major amount of time and money.

The PCIII is $350, K&N $80, Slip-ons $800, catless headers $300-800 depending on used(very hard to find) or Preditor unit and if you didn't have acess to the custom map available here that would be another $300+.

That's at least $1500-2000 to potentially gain maybe 5 hp if your lucky, add another $1500-2000 and you could have a 01 GSXR 750 or 929 sitting next to your Viffer. :blink:

Point well taken. As it is, I presently have an '06 Triumph Scrambler sitting next to my VFR. A great bike for around town (and jumping curbs, when necessary) :blush:

Fact is, when I get off the Scrambler (50+HP) and onto the VFR, the viffer feels like a ZX14... :blink:

• Member Contributer

"cat" is short for catalytic converter. the headers off the '98-'99 VFR did not come equipped with a catalytic converter. what's more, the diameter of the headers (i.e. tubing) is also wider. both of these, in conjunction, make these headers desirable because they are less restrictive (and therefore give a modest gain in power along with aftermarket exhaust canisters, i.e. cans.)

these '98-'99 headers will fit any 6th gen. VFR. they're difficult to find even on eBay. when you can find them, they can fetch up to $300. you can buy some aftermarket headers that are more or less identical to '98-'99 headers, but like Kevin said, expect to pay up to $800 for 'em.

if you want more power, you're much better off buying another motorcycle. a bike you may want to look at is the current generation ('06+) FZ1 with full lowers (see pic below.) as much as i like my VFR, these FZ1's will blow the VFR away anytime day or night. they're also very comfortable.

FZ1.jpg

......"The US spec engine had a 749.2cc capacity and was rated at 101 horsepower; the European version was rated at 118 horsepower. A simple rewire modification to the PGM-FI box increased power in the US engine up to the 118hp....."

the bike that made 190 had nothing in common with a street bike. any motor can be made to make gobs of power for a short time with total rebuilds every 2 hours of use.

More power is always nice but in how many of our situations is any VRFs power the limiting factor in how quick we are?

That's at least $1500-2000 to potentially gain maybe 5 hp if your lucky, add another $1500-2000 and you could have a 01 GSXR 750 or 929 sitting next to your Viffer. :angry:

Headers and PC3 from board member - $400

UNI foam filter mod - $13

Staintunes from board member - $395

Tinyminds map - Free download

Being a member on VFRD - PRICELESS!!

I'm adding the headers this winter, already have everything else on the bike. I might drop $100 on a dyno run to get it tweaked for my elevation... or I might not.

What I'd really like to do, is lighten up my crankshaft a bit. :unsure:

• Member Contributer
the bike that made 190 had nothing in common with a street bike. any motor can be made to make gobs of power for a short time with total rebuilds every 2 hours of use.

Rebuilt every 500km, so approx. every 7 hours, in actual fact. Honda's factory World Superbike team actually ran out of RVF heads at one point, and had to get special permission from the FIM to use OEM VFR800 parts.

I think it's entirely possible to get a lot more power out of the VFR, you just won't be able to get it to pass any emissions test, nor will it get very good gas mileage.

And you won't find anyone outside of HRC that can or will do it.

The cheapest and easiest way to feel/think like you have more power is to go 1-tooth down on the front sprocket($30 & 30 min.) everything else is high cost for little gain. :fing02:

The cheapest and easiest way to feel like you have LESS power is to have BR follow you :D At least that worked for me... Made me feel like the sweep for the old ladies group sad.gif

What I'd really like to do, is lighten up my crankshaft a bit. :fing02:

You going superbike racing or something?? :goofy:

I can dream, can't I? :blush:

How about your fat arse! :goofy:

The crank would be cheaper than a treadmill... :laugh:

......"The US spec engine had a 749.2cc capacity and was rated at 101 horsepower; the European version was rated at 118 horsepower. A simple rewire modification to the PGM-FI box increased power in the US engine up to the 118hp....."

More power is always nice but in how many of our situations is any VRFs power the limiting factor in how quick we are?

Timmy:

Got any info on the simple rewire mod to the PGM-FI box? Where did you hear about this from?

Pete

Timmy:

Got any info on the simple rewire mod to the PGM-FI box? Where did you hear about this from?

Pete

Pretty sure he's talking about a RVF750 or RC45, not a current VFR800. :goofy:

Yes, that quote was in response to a question about the HP made by an RC45.

But sinvce were on the topic, I really think money spent on suspension is a better deal.

Yes, that quote was in response to a question about the HP made by an RC45.

But sinvce were on the topic, I really think money spent on suspension is a better deal.

Couldn't agree with you more. BR and I are doing a lot of idea swapping and reading up on suspensions now.

However, HP is like money and pu$$y, you can't ever have too much of any of the three.

Archived