Battery Tender?

i_needit

Your real options are how many batteries you need to tend. You can get one for a single battery or multiple batteries on diffirent vehicles. All modern road vehicles are 12volt so you cant get the wrong one.

The Battery Tender Plus.

Higher rate charge up to 80% capacity, then lower rate for the remaining 20%. Safety circuits to prevent reverse connections and 'sparking' if you short the leads together. Comes with ring terminals and plug for permanent installation and alligator clips for occasional use.

If you care we can go into all the gory details, but it really is a good charger.

• Member Contributer
The Battery Tender Plus.

Higher rate charge up to 80% capacity, then lower rate for the remaining 20%. Safety circuits to prevent reverse connections and 'sparking' if you short the leads together. Comes with ring terminals and plug for permanent installation and alligator clips for occasional use.

If you care we can go into all the gory details, but it really is a good charger.

I'd like to know. I just got a Jr but wondering the real world differences and if it really matters. I also have a Yuasa brand. I finally gave in and got the BT Jr cause my cheapo Shumacher (from wally world) decided to quit working. The Yuasa charger is full time on the VFR and the BT Jr shares time between the PC800 and the Ninja. Both seem to have strong charging systems. I was all set to buy the BT Plus, but cheaped out at the last moment :wub:

I bought a cheap version at Wal-Mart last fall. It's worked fine so far, but I'd like to know if there are any issues with using this one vs. the more expensive models referenced above. +1.gif

Save your money on the Shumacher......................they are junk. Mine lasted 9 mo.

Try Amazon.com for the Deltran Battery Tender Plus. Just bought one from them for $42.49 Delivered. It has a excellent reputation and a 10 year warrenty.

The Battery Tender Plus.

I'd like to know. I just got a Jr but wondering the real world differences and if it really matters. I also have a Yuasa brand. I finally gave in and got the BT Jr cause my cheapo Shumacher (from wally world) decided to quit working. The Yuasa charger is full time on the VFR and the BT Jr shares time between the PC800 and the Ninja. Both seem to have strong charging systems. I was all set to buy the BT Plus, but cheaped out at the last moment :unsure:

Nothing wrong with the Junior, just less current. I use my plus for more than the VFR so the plus was a better choice for me. Here's some verbage from Deltran's website.

The Battery Tender Plus battery charger delivers 1.25 amperes during bulk charge mode, holds the battery charge voltage constant at 14.4 VDC during absorption charge mode until the battery charge current drops to 0.1 amperes at which time it then automatically switches to a float charge mode. During float charge mode, the output voltage of the Battery Tender Plus battery charger is 13.2 VDC, which is well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. This keeps the battery topped off, while minimizing any detrimental effects to do gassing. The Battery Tender Plus battery charger is able to perform these complex switching functions because its electronic circuitry is controlled by an on board microprocessor.

Although they often appear to be a better economic choice for the typical consumer, trickle chargers do not have the advantage of sophisticated electronic control. Therefore, as they allow the value of charge current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels, the output voltage of the charger rises well above 15 VDC, sometimes even going higher that 16 VDC depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. Either voltage is well above the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. If the battery remains connected to this high level of voltage for an extended period of time, even less than 1 day, extreme damage can be done to the battery. What appears to be a cost savings for the charger may actually cost several times the charger price in replacement batteries.

Although its power output is less than the Battery Tender Plus, the Battery Tender Jr. employs a similar charge control method to keep the battery at full charge while minimizing the long-term risk of overcharge and premature capacity loss.

Here's the link to the FAQ's on Deltran's site http://batterytender.com/faqs.php

I've had my BT+ for about six years now. Good investment.

The Battery Tender Plus.

:unsure:

I have the Plus model, but also bought a couple of the Schumacher chargers to keep from having to switch it between bikes constantly during the winter. I really could use one of those shop chargers that you can hook 4-5 batteries up to, but they want too much money for them, IMO.

• Member Contributer
Save your money on the Shumacher......................they are junk. Mine lasted 9 mo.

Try Amazon.com for the Deltran Battery Tender Plus. Just bought one from them for $42.49 Delivered. It has a excellent reputation and a 10 year warrenty.

My Shumacher is going on 2 years now and I have not had a single hiccup.

+1.gif

• Member Contributer
If you go by an RV dealer, they have solar battery tenders. That way if you store your bike where there is no electricity, you can still charge the battery. :fing02:

Any more info on this? This is perfect for me, as I've yet to try and dangle an extension cord out the window of my 30th floor apartment +1.gif ... Which means I have to take the battery out to charge. :cool:

Archived