Thermal Wrap On Exhaust Header?

iresqu1

I am a proud new owner of a 1993 VFR. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Thermal Wraps available for exhuast headers to cut down on the heat that gets sent up through the middle of the bike and the battery area. I noticed that the rear headers give off alot of heat right back into that area and up into the R/R area. I have read that these wraps increase the thermal effecieny of the exhaust and cut down on raditated heat from the headers. If the temperature can be reduced in the R/R area everyone knows that can only help that issue even more. If anyone has used this or if you have any thoughts on this I would like to hear them. Thanks.

Here is a link to what I am talking about.Thermotec Exhaust Wrap

• Member Contributer

If you could put a heat shield, it would be better. The problem with the wrap is when it's wet. It will keep dampness around your exhaust which will in turn rust and/or rot.

I am a proud new owner of a 1993 VFR. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Thermal Wraps available for exhuast headers to cut down on the heat that gets sent up through the middle of the bike and the battery area. I noticed that the rear headers give off alot of heat right back into that area and up into the R/R area. I have read that these wraps increase the thermal effecieny of the exhaust and cut down on raditated heat from the headers. If the temperature can be reduced in the R/R area everyone knows that can only help that issue even more. If anyone has used this or if you have any thoughts on this I would like to hear them. Thanks.

You would be better off getting the headers coated with Jet-Hot or something else like that. When using exhaust wrapping, it's not good for the pipes. The pipe material starts to break down over time. If you ride in the rain, it happens quicker. Don't asked me how I know. :angry: Here pic's of my RC51 pipes before and after Jet-Hot.

BeforeJetHot2.jpg

AffterJetHot1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I did it on mine mostly to keep from frying the new Penske shock. It wasnt bad. You need to use the high temp paint they have to seal it up. I prepainted my header with the stuff before hand for corosion protection too. Then when you fire it up - It will smoke like the dickens, it takes quite a few cycles to get out of the smoking mode.

I have heard that this will reduce the life of the header, due to higher temps on pipe makes it weaker. For me for far so good, I'll deal with that when it comes. Probly long term - Motad headers will be in my future

I am generally happy with the job - it does what I want, keep temps down around the shock, and while it may be hooey, the bike seems to run a lot better.

MD

You would be better off getting the headers coated with Jet-Hot or something else like that. When using exhaust wrapping, it's not good for the pipes. The pipe material starts to break down over time. If you ride in the rain, it happens quicker. Don't asked me how I know. :angry: Here pic's of my RC51 pipes before and after Jet-Hot.

BeforeJetHot2.jpg

AffterJetHot1.jpg

How does the black coating last. I want to do black but I am afraid it will stain. Does it stain like OEM black exhaust pipes?

"You would be better off getting the headers coated with Jet-Hot or something else like that. When using exhaust wrapping, it's not good for the pipes. The pipe material starts to break down over time. If you ride in the rain, it happens quicker. Don't asked me how I know. :angry:"

Hey, thanks for all your quick responses. With respect to the Jet-Hot coating, does it do and effective job of keeping the heat in the pipes and away from the surrounding areas? I had some concerns about the wet issues also but I figured the heat from the exhaust would be enough to keep the fabric from staying damp and make it dry out quickly. I take it this is not the case?

• Member Contributer

I tried the expensive ceramic coating to insulate the heat of the rear

pipes reaching my thighs and seat but the Thermal Wrap proved to be

the most effective heat barrier to date... however wrapping will

promote corrosion of the stainless steel pipes but that is not a

problem because you can always Scotch Pad the surface to bring back

the luster...

1463475287_a277f0ea8b_o.jpg

I also employ a Kevlar heat blanket over the rear cylinders...

365642751_60be95b36e_o.jpg

"You would be better off getting the headers coated with Jet-Hot or something else like that. When using exhaust wrapping, it's not good for the pipes. The pipe material starts to break down over time. If you ride in the rain, it happens quicker. Don't asked me how I know. :fing02:"

Hey, thanks for all your quick responses. With respect to the Jet-Hot coating, does it do and effective job of keeping the heat in the pipes and away from the surrounding areas? I had some concerns about the wet issues also but I figured the heat from the exhaust would be enough to keep the fabric from staying damp and make it dry out quickly. I take it this is not the case?

Jet-Hot charge me about $150 for the header pictured. I got the high end coating. Had it on there since '04. Still looks the same. The problem with wrapping is that if you don't wrap it tight, it will loosen up, and fall for one thing. And it will promote corrosion of stainless steel pipes. At work, we don't use the wrapping on stainless pipe. We use ceramic insulation. Made by Dow, or Corning.

I like the kevlar heat blanket over the rear cylinders! The finish is gone on my exhaust too, so that isn't a problem. I think I will try this out and see how it works. Thanks everyone!

• Member Contributer
I like the kevlar heat blanket over the rear cylinders! The finish is gone on my exhaust too, so that isn't a problem. I think I will try this out and see how it works. Thanks everyone!

You're welcome... wrap it tight and safety wire the ends...

• Member Contributer

Exhaust wrappers might want to have a look at this stuff

0818_1.JPG

I've just exhaust wraped my Hossackviffer exhaust it's a plain stock system and was looking pretty shabby. sprayed the system with this silicon based HT paint rated up to 1500 Degrees! coated the wrap with it afterward - it suposed to seal from water.

• Member Contributer

Jet- Hot you say?

Don't do it!! This is after a second try, thinking maybe they made a mistake the first time. First time it gets wet you're done.

gallery_2395_2833_417005.jpg

jet-hot round 2 008.jpg

gallery_2395_2833_395311.jpg

jet-hot round 2 014.jpg

gallery_2395_2833_403016.jpg

jet-hot round 2 003.jpg

I've used the exhaust wrap long term on one of my 280Z's and never had any problems with damage to the header pipes, I think it was on there for at least 80k before I sold the car. I have it on my track bike and its been doing its job.

I've used the exhaust wrap long term on one of my 280Z's and never had any problems with damage to the header pipes, I think it was on there for at least 80k before I sold the car. I have it on my track bike and its been doing its job.

I have had wrapped SS Long tube headers on one truck. The headers lasted about 2 1/2 years. At $1800 a set, you see why I don't like wrapping. I ended up getting a new set coated too. And these have been though some mud with no problems.

The Jet-Hot on my RC51 was done in '04. I had no problems with it ever.

fastrc46, what time of year did you get your done? I have heard that if you get them done in the spring, you will take a chance on poor workmanship because they are swamped with orders. Everbody needs it done NOW before riding-racing season starts. I had my done in the fall.

I tried the expensive ceramic coating to insulate the heat of the rear

pipes reaching my thighs and seat but the Thermal Wrap proved to be

the most effective heat barrier to date... however wrapping will

promote corrosion of the stainless steel pipes but that is not a

problem because you can always Scotch Pad the surface to bring back

the luster...

1463475287_a277f0ea8b_o.jpg

Hey BLS, does that blanket make much of a difference? How do you sevcure it in place to make sure it doesn't flap around and interfere with anything?? Anything I should keep in mind when using or buying this stuff?? Reckon it would be viable for the 6th gen VFR?? I'd do anything to stop from having hard-boiled eggs...

• Member Contributer

Hey BLS, does that blanket make much of a difference? How do you sevcure it in place to make sure it doesn't flap around and interfere with anything?? Anything I should keep in mind when using or buying this stuff?? Reckon it would be viable for the 6th gen VFR?? I'd do anything to stop from having hard-boiled eggs...

The blanket and exhaust wrap makes the difference between toasting

your thighs and butt to just making them medium warm...

The blanket is held in place by zip ties and just tucking in between

the engine and frame... it does not flap about...

Certainly it's doable on any V4... don't worry... one Thermo Tec

Aluminized heat blanket is large enough for a couple of tries if first

you don't secede...

http://www.jegs.com/p/Thermo+Tec/744855/10002/-1/10261

89314001.gif

Thanks mate. Good to know... so I can just lay it directly over the rear heads? Thinking maybe partly under the fuel tank and back under the seat a ways... vamos, just like in your photo. Should I buy some sort of hole punch or is this stuff made of a decent weave which won't unravel if I just run a screwdriver through to make holes for the zipties?

• Member Contributer
Exhaust wrappers might want to have a look at this stuff

0818_1.JPG

I've just exhaust wraped my Hossackviffer exhaust it's a plain stock system and was looking pretty shabby. sprayed the system with this silicon based HT paint rated up to 1500 Degrees! coated the wrap with it afterward - it suposed to seal from water.

The thermotec Hi Temp spray is a better product and goes to 2000 F - I used it on mine - so far so good.

MD

I used the ThermoTec product - carefully wrapped, well secured with the stainless "zip" ties and well saturated with their hi-temp sealing paint as directed- on an '89 GSXR750 I owned and was very pleased with both the reduction in temperature and how well it lasted without any apparent breakdown in the wrap or the pipe under it. I think, as with most things, following the instructions fully and doing a good job makes a difference. Do make sure that you prep the pipes to bright metal if there is any rust, and precoat with the hi-temp before you start wrapping; I also found that an extra can of the thin hi-temp paint on the wrap kept it a lot cleaner from oil and dirt than it did on a buddy's where he skimped a bit on the paint ($$). My 2cents FWIW.

BTW, my brother-in-law had great results using this stuff on a hi-po Mopar ... Cool Ride Products and it might be worth trying to find a way to cover just the upper head pipes with it.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

I used the ThermoTec product - carefully wrapped, well secured with the stainless "zip" ties and well saturated with their hi-temp sealing paint as directed- on an '89 GSXR750 I owned and was very pleased with both the reduction in temperature and how well it lasted without any apparent breakdown in the wrap or the pipe under it. I think, as with most things, following the instructions fully and doing a good job makes a difference. Do make sure that you prep the pipes to bright metal if there is any rust, and precoat with the hi-temp before you start wrapping; I also found that an extra can of the thin hi-temp paint on the wrap kept it a lot cleaner from oil and dirt than it did on a buddy's where he skimped a bit on the paint ($$). My 2cents FWIW.

BTW, my brother-in-law had great results using this stuff on a hi-po Mopar ... Cool Ride Products and it might be worth trying to find a way to cover just the upper head pipes with it.

Cheers

I'm liking what I'm hearing, maybe I can avoid buying the Motad header after all. I used about a can and a half in total between a good header clean up and refinish with the stuff (thermotec) , and then multi coats of it on the wrap.

I didnt like the stainless zip tie thingys - they were a pia to use. I ended up using stainless hose clamps. That worked much better.

MD

• Member Contributer

I followed Larry's advice & did the thermal blanket route on my RC45. Man I had to, to keep from have two over easy eggs! :biggrin: I did not wrap the pipe yet because I want to ride....when ever I have to take it down for something, I may do the coating & wrap then.

Now I only occasionally have 2nd degree burns on my thighs in the summer...... Actually the RC45 is now cooler than my 3rd gen VFR was on the left side. :rolleyes:

I've done it on my snowmobile and my 89 GSXR 1100. Both units only had the wrap, not the spray. Both units worked great.

I used SS saftey wire (.025), worked great.

Archived