Disappointed In Honda...

SpiralGray

I bought my first ever Honda back on May 31st. I'd owned Suzuki, Yamaha, and BMW prior to this. The red 2007 VFR800A seemed the perfect bike for what I wanted. Then the disappointments started.

I ordered the factory hard bags from the dealership (Honda of St. Johns in Portland, Oregon) on the day I bought the bike. They told me they'd be in by the end of the following week. I picked the bike up on Wednesday and the salesman said he'd checked with parts, the bags weren't in yet, but they expected them by Friday. End of day Friday I called and was told the bags were on back order with no delivery date indicated.

So I started calling the on-line places. All of them were able to tell me on the phone that the bags were back ordered. Hmm, if four other places can tell me the status on the phone, methinks the dealer tried to keep that information from me so it wouldn't put the kibosh on his bike sale. Not Honda's fault, per se, but their corporate web site still shows the bags as available to order (might be nice if they updated it to say "Unavailable until August 2008 at the earliest), and they control who can sell their stuff so they might want to encourage more open and honest communication with customers.

Next step, call Honda customer service.

Honda: "Sorry, bags are on back order until August and there's nothing we can do."

Me: "But that's pretty much the end of the touring season."

Honda: You should have made availability of the bags a condition of the deal you made with the dealer. Bye."

Hmm, real helpful. I know the CSR can't make the bags appear out of thin air, but I'm getting a little tired of the platitudes that CSRs (at all companies) dish out these days. "Gee, I'm real sorry" when they don't really give a crap, because if they gave a crap they'd say, "Let's get creative and see what we can do to help you out." But I understand their performance is based on how many calls they take, not whether they actually help the person or not.

Okay, do some digging and find the name of American Honda's Senior VP (probably the toughest time I've ever had finding the name and address of a company executive). Write a letter to his office asking what they might be able to do to help me out. Today I get a call back from the same guy I talked to when I called the customer service line.

Honda: "Just wanted to let you know we got your letter. They gave it to me. There's nothing we can do. Bye."

Great, I take the time to bring my concerns to the executive level of the organization and their response is to hand the letter to the guy who couldn't help me in the first place.

This experience has made me wish I'd bought another FJR or the Sprint ST (both of which I was considering). Honda may build good quality stuff, but their customer service needs a lot of work in my opinion.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest and share the experience so anyone who might be considering a Honda knows what to expect.

Anyone want to buy a 2007 Red Interceptor with < 300 miles? :rolleyes:

P.S. I know the Givi V35s are a pretty close match to the factory bags, but they don't tuck in as close to the bike as the factory bags and they aren't color-matched. If I'd wanted to go the Givi route the list of bikes I was looking at would have been much longer. I narrowed my list to those bikes that had color-matched factory bags available.

• Member Contributer

Have you tried David Silvers outta the UK, might be worth a shot

Sorry to hear of the BS your going through, its hard to believe there's not a set somewhere in this country just looking for an owner. Sounds to me like you're dealing with some really lazy ass people who could be making calls to find em. Good luck, don't be too dicouraged, you've got an awesome bike even if the company that built it is less than helpful.

You can check David Silver Spares. The 2007 VFR red we got here in the USA was available in Europe in 2006. Maybe they have some in stock.

Another option would be to buy some ultra cheap bags from David Silver Spares and then take them over to Road Trip Essentials in Hillsboro. They do a lot of trim pieces for the Honda Goldwing so the guy has access to lots of Honda OEM paints. He may not have an exact match for the 2007 VFR red , but he'll probably have something close. His painting quality is very, very good.

Sorry for your troubles, but Honda doesn't seem like the problem here. As Usual the Dealer level is where your problem started, and their lack of being honest with you and saying "We can't get them, on B/O" might loose the sale for them. There is the root of your problem. Honda doesn't make the bags either, there contracted out to a new supplier now (I think).

The Honda Rep can't change the supply chain for you or anyone else and if the Dealer would have been honest with you, you would have know about this situation and maybe not even bought the bike unless like the Rep suggested you made the sale contingent on getting bags. Of course how would you even know about the bag issue because of the slimly Dealer holding back the exact info you needed. Most likely it was actually your salesman who didn't bother to tell you they were back order like the Parts guy probably told him. :rolleyes:

I would suggest that you do one of two things if you keep the bike.

If you need bags, just order a set from DLH(see our bargain finder section) in whatever color you could tolerate with your new beauty(maybe black) and use them to tour to your hearts desire.

Either sell them when your done and the ones you want become available or get the Dealer to take the bike back or promise to trade you straight across for the right ones whenever they become available. :goofy:

Have you tried calling other Honda dealers for stock on hand? Perhaps have your dealer pay the frieght to get them to you.

I would not have thought for that accessory to be an issue, but I'll be should not to take a bike off a dealers lot before I have an item like that already mounted. They (your dealer) would have jumped through hoops to get you set up if it was a deal breaker.

• Member Contributer

all that whining and complaining for hard bags that are on back order ?

ahahah

some people are amazing

:wacko:

• Member Contributer

The problem is with dealers and corporate B.S.ers.

Never make a move without calling on VFRD first. You will NEVER deal with that crap again.

• Member Contributer

Bummer dude, I'm not sure that justifies the necessity to sell your brand new bike. But hey, whatever you gotta do I suppose to be happy with it.

The problem is with dealers and corporate B.S.ers.

Never make a move without calling on VFRD first. You will NEVER deal with that crap again.

:rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Just thought I would share a similar story. When I was a kid I saved (for years) to buy my first bike. It was a '91 XR250L. I soon found it had a stalling problem and I discovered that the wiring harness was routed around the steering stem in a really messed up way, causing the wires to stretch and break. I rewired the bike and sent mother Honda a letter informing them of the problem and telling them how it should be rewired. I also told them what it cost me in parts to fix. They responded with a letter that only discussed what new models were coming out the next year. Thanks guys. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope you get your bags.

You can check David Silver Spares. The 2007 VFR red we got here in the USA was available in Europe in 2006. Maybe they have some in stock.

I contacted them to ask about the bags. They asked for the color code, and when I sent it the response I got was that they never got that color over there. I'll give it another shot.

Another option would be to buy some ultra cheap bags from David Silver Spares and then take them over to Road Trip Essentials in Hillsboro.

Thanks for the tip. I went to a few autobody shops to ask about painting a set of bags. The best price was Tualatin Auto Body, who quoted me $250. The guys over at Leif's said $1200 to paint the lid covers. I couldn't believe it. I'll call Road Trip Essentials. If they do Honda painting they should have all of Honda's color codes I would think.

Have you tried calling other Honda dealers for stock on hand? Perhaps have your dealer pay the frieght to get them to you.

I would not have thought for that accessory to be an issue, but I'll be should not to take a bike off a dealers lot before I have an item like that already mounted. They (your dealer) would have jumped through hoops to get you set up if it was a deal breaker.

I've contacted several Honda dealers in the PNW and come up empty.

I should have made the deal contingent, but I deal with people straight-up and assume others deal with me the same way. You'd think I'd have learned by now. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

YES!! I will buy your bike.....$4500 fob N. Alabama. Deal?... wink.gif

:rolleyes: on what Baileyrock said as well as what Honda customer service said. Having been around too many motorcycle dealers, I deal my way or not at all. He who has the money, ultimately has the power. If you believe it will all work out, it will..... FWIW.

• Member Contributer

Jeez guys, lighten up with the flames. The dude is just venting about a crappy situation is all, which we all do from time to time here.

How do you think your VFR feels? "Oh no, I've been sold to a complainer sad.gif "

ahahah

some people are amazing

Jeez guys, lighten up with the flames. The dude is just venting about a crappy situation is all, which we all do from time to time here.

Meh, I just ignored them. One of these days they'll post something bitchin' and moanin' (either here or somewhere else) and someone else will respond in a similar way. You can't legislate intelligence or maturity.

• Member Contributer

ahahah

some people are amazing

He is not complaining about hard bags being on back order. He is complaining about the fact that the dealer KNOWINGLY LIED about it to make the deal. This is not a good way to do business.

• Member Contributer
Nobody needs to hear bitchin and moanin, and it will get you no sympathy.

He will get my sympathy. I've been lied about stock inventory before (something more important than a riding season depended on it), so I know what it feels like. And I would not expect the Honda rep to miraculously pull the backordered bags out of his a$$, but he could at least apologize for the dishonest dealer and maybe offer a little something to sweeten up the bad experience.

I'm with this guy.

I get incensed when people deal in bad faith. One of the major problems with this country is the dissapearance of customer service and honesty.

Banks used to interview you for a loan. You used to go to the same dealership for a car because you knew the salesamn and he was good to you.

What happened?

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experiences. But I have a suggestion: Go to your dealer - deal with the sales manager or GM if necessary - and negotiate the use of a good set of soft bags for the summer.

They can loan them to you then sell them as used or "demo'd" later, give them to you for free or sell them to you at a deep discount (cost or under). There are at least a few sets of bags that work well with the 6th gen. VFR, so they should be able to get you something that will substitute nicely for the backordered matching OEM bags for a couple months.

I know it's not the same as the hard bags, but many of us have used soft luggage and been fine with it. And it's only for a couple months, right?

You should also get a nice discount on the OEM bags if you're still buying them from that dealer.

Nobody needs to hear bitchin and moanin, and it will get you no sympathy.

He well get my sympathy. I've been lied about stock inventory before (something more important than a riding season depended on it), so I know what it feels like. And I would not expect the Honda rep to miraculously pull the backordered bags out of his a$$, but he could at least apologize for the dishonest dealer and maybe offer a little something to sweeten up the bad experience.

Hey you guys..... only us CATHOLICS are supposed to surpress our anger! :goofy:

1) Don't you have a 'cooling off' period regarding purchases down there? I'd want to go back there and say I'd like to return it see what happens.

2) Tell them that rather than get 'lawyers and state consumer protection agencies' involved, you would agree to forgo all that if they supplied you with another color, even used, and turn them in when the red ones come in. What a 'reasonable and fair' guy you are! tongue.gif

3)You turned the tables on them and they are immediately seen as unreasonable and uncompromising and feel guilty about it..... :unsure:

4)What the Hell else do you think we were taught at Catholic school? Only what a Coke and bag of chips were worth??? :fing02:

:unsure:

Brother Greg

He is not complaining about hard bags being on back order. He is complaining about the fact that the dealer KNOWINGLY LIED about it to make the deal. This is not a good way to do business.
And I would not expect the Honda rep to miraculously pull the backordered bags out of his a$$, but he could at least apologize for the dishonest dealer and maybe offer a little something to sweeten up the bad experience.

You guys have pretty much summed it up. Obviously they're not going to manufacture one set of bags just for me. What I'd like at this point is for people to stop feeding me BS (honestly, I think the CSR said "August" just to get me off the phone) and give me a factual response at this point as to when the bags will be available. Even better would be for Honda to step up to the plate and offer some sort of arrangement. I figure if I can buy the bags from ronayers.com for ~$835 shipped, Honda could sell me a set (in a different color) directly for maybe $600-ish and I could get them painted. You've got a p.o.'ed customer, get creative. As long as we as consumers just roll over and go "oh, okay" companies will continue to treat us like this. How'd that line from the movie go, "I'm mad as he** and I'm not going to take it anymore."

And of course I didn't expect the VP to respond personally, just like I didn't expect the Verizon VP I wrote to to respond personally, but in the latter case someone from his office contacted me and we worked out a deal that was acceptable to both of us.

I get incensed when people deal in bad faith. One of the major problems with this country is the dissapearance of customer service and honesty.

What happened?

Somewhere along the line companies figured that a customer was only as important as the current sale. When I lived in Calgary I used to go to this little mom & pop store for all my home entertainment needs. I bought three TVs, a couple of clock radios, and probably three receivers from them over the course of several years. Whenever I walked in there I was greeted by name. He didn't have the best prices in town, but the service, knowledge, and honesty kept me coming back.

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experiences. But I have a suggestion: Go to your dealer - deal with the sales manager or GM if necessary - and negotiate the use of a good set of soft bags for the summer.

You should also get a nice discount on the OEM bags if you're still buying them from that dealer.

You're right. I did work a deal with them. I found the cheapest internet price, including shipping, and they matched it (I think it was ronayers.com). Maybe that's why they're not so interested in working too hard on it. :unsure:

2) Tell them that rather than get 'lawyers and state consumer protection agencies' involved, you would agree to forgo all that if they supplied you with another color, even used, and turn them in when the red ones come in. What a 'reasonable and fair' guy you are! tongue.gif

3)You turned the tables on them and they are immediately seen as unreasonable and uncompromising and feel guilty about it..... :goofy:

4)What the Hell else do you think we were taught at Catholic school? Only what a Coke and bag of chips were worth???

You also make a very good point. At this stage I'm so annoyed with what I believe was a deliberate attempt to mislead me until I drove the bike off the lot that I'd rather not give the dealership any more money at all, but there's no sense in cutting off the nose to spite the face, as my mother used to say. I'll probably swing by there this weekend and see if we can work out anything at all.

Come on Kids, berating other members is not cool especially over differences of opinions!

Express yourself in a semi respectable way at least or don't post! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Come on Kids, berating other members is not cool especially over differences of opinions!

Express yourself in a semi respectable way at least or don't post! :goofy:

When did the above start?

Regards,

Mike

• Member Contributer

I can understand your frustration with this situation....items that are backordered during the prime riding season can annoy the heck out of you. I get just as frustrated. But like others said...try David Silver spares in the UK. They're almost half the price through them, and could probably have them to your door in a week, assuming of course that they're available over there.

What you just have to keep in mind is that it's most likely not honda's fault. It could be the supplier/manufacturer of the bags jerking Honda around, or they're simply just sold out which makes most people in any part of the chain kind of helpless as to getting you some. If they're not around, they're not around. Im sure honda isnt wasting any time at looking at the situation, as its potential sales that they're losing.

Customer service with any corporation is always hit or miss. Yes, they're supposed to be representatives of the company, but what you really have to remember is they're still individuals....some may actualy care about helping and some just wont, and are only there waiting for 5:00 to roll around. I think customer service is always the weakest part of the experience of buying from any manufacturer. Ive rarely experienced or heard of anyone whos experienced a real, caring experience with any customer service rep.

With the bags, all i could suggest is go to it and look around. If you're willing to buy used, then check the obvious places like Ebay, Craigslist, forums like these, etc. And check into anyplace overseas that you can find; you'll probably get a much better price anyways.

• Member Contributer

SpiralGray is being very realistic here, and there have been some really good suggestions. We've all gotten screwed like this before. I think an approach like TimC's is more than reasonable.

Returning the bike, if were an option, to "teach a customer service lesson" to the dealership would make you feel good, but you already seem to know that they won't really learn. (I try to teach other drivers how to stay in their lane, but they never seem to learn, and more idiots are out there each time!)

With Honda's lack of passion on all fronts except reducing liability lately, it's definitely a company run by the cold-hearted finance folks. If there were any good sales-oriented people left there, they would live by the adage that it's harder to win new customers than to keep the ones you have.

(Unfortunately, this isn't just a Honda problem.)

Archived