Disappointed In Honda...

SpiralGray

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experiences. But I have a suggestion: Go to your dealer - deal with the sales manager or GM if necessary - and negotiate the use of a good set of soft bags for the summer.

You should also get a nice discount on the OEM bags if you're still buying them from that dealer.

You're right. I did work a deal with them. I found the cheapest internet price, including shipping, and they matched it (I think it was ronayers.com). Maybe that's why they're not so interested in working too hard on it. :dry:

2) Tell them that rather than get 'lawyers and state consumer protection agencies' involved, you would agree to forgo all that if they supplied you with another color, even used, and turn them in when the red ones come in. What a 'reasonable and fair' guy you are! tongue.gif

3)You turned the tables on them and they are immediately seen as unreasonable and uncompromising and feel guilty about it..... :blush:

4)What the Hell else do you think we were taught at Catholic school? Only what a Coke and bag of chips were worth???

You also make a very good point. At this stage I'm so annoyed with what I believe was a deliberate attempt to mislead me until I drove the bike off the lot that I'd rather not give the dealership any more money at all, but there's no sense in cutting off the nose to spite the face, as my mother used to say. I'll probably swing by there this weekend and see if we can work out anything at all.

I think the above is a very good start; you don't ask, you don't get. If you happen to secure a red set somewhere, before you buy them, check to see if you can get the full value that was quoted on the deal returned.

I worked in Honda Bike and car parts for years and YES, they can easily cancel back orders.....

Truly, the onus is on them now as to whether things go 'civilized' or 'postal' from here on in.

Good luck!

honda buys these hardbags from GIVI, they're made specifically for the VFR. i had a similar problem last year trying to find a topcase that matched my 2005 winning red bike. turns out they are made in limited numbers then honda discontinues the colours after they run out.

i ended up buying mine from one of our members in florida, and i'm in canada - how's that for hunting around for them wink.gif

keep searching, you'll find them somewhere.

You can check David Silver Spares. The 2007 VFR red we got here in the USA was available in Europe in 2006. Maybe they have some in stock.

I contacted them to ask about the bags. They asked for the color code, and when I sent it the response I got was that they never got that color over there. I'll give it another shot.

Give them this part number: 08L52-MCW-890. It's the Europeon part number for the bags.

The USA Honda part number for the bags is: 08L52-MCW-1G0

Good luck!

Give them this part number: 08L52-MCW-890. It's the Europeon part number for the bags.

The USA Honda part number for the bags is: 08L52-MCW-1G0

I just sent them another email with that part number and asking about shipping costs to my address.

I have kind of a stupid question. I've never ordered anything from overseas. Do I just give them my credit card number and the CC company does the conversion to US$?

Thank you, you've been extremely helpful.

• Member Contributer

That's correct; the CC company will do the conversion automatically.

Some overseas sites will have a conversion calculator to use on their site....I think David Silver does. Then you can see what you'll be paying in American $$.

you could do what i did, find someone selling a similar (color) VFR with bags (more likely than bags alone) and ask if you can buy just the bags. They may bite, because it's a quick bit of cash, and he won't loose as much on the sale of the bike; so it's win-win for both parties.

• Member Contributer

That sounds like a bunch of BS. I found my bags on eBay for $450. They weren't right color but painting them to match the bike was still cheaper than buying them brand new. I'd also fight with the dealership more and make them give me something for all of the trouble.

you could do what i did, find someone selling a similar (color) VFR with bags (more likely than bags alone) and ask if you can buy just the bags. They may bite, because it's a quick bit of cash, and he won't loose as much on the sale of the bike; so it's win-win for both parties.

Yeah, I've been trying that. Last week I went through every craigslist and eBay ad for the 6th gen VFR. Found a couple that had bags but neither were willing to sell them separately.

I found my bags on eBay for $450. They weren't right color but painting them to match the bike was still cheaper than buying them brand new.

You got a smoking deal! The last set I saw went for $650 (they had Make Offer, I offered $700 shipped and they wouldn't take it). There's one set on eBay right now with bidding up to about $530 and they want about $80 for shipping.

I've got an inquiry in to David Silver to see how much to ship a set of their bags over here. The price for the bags is right (about $450), but I think I read somewhere that someone said it can run a couple hundred bucks in shipping.

• Member Contributer

When I was looking for bags for my bike, I was quoted $1214 CAN after tax.

David Silver got them too me for 175GBP + 106GBP shipping. Worked out to about $580 after customs. (If I chose to) Add $250 for a nice paint job, and you still save $400.

When I was looking for bags for my bike, I was quoted $1214 CAN after tax.

David Silver got them too me for 175GBP + 106GBP shipping. Worked out to about $580 after customs. (If I chose to) Add $250 for a nice paint job, and you still save $400.

Boy, do you guys get hosed up there on prices. With the CDN and US dollars virtually at par there's no excuse for you getting gouged like that. I can buy a set of bags (saddlebags and mounting brackets, not including the top trunk) down here for about $835 delivered to my door. If I'm going to spend $200 - $250 to get them painted, I really need to get them for about $580 just to be in a break even proposition. David Silver's price for the bags alone (in silver or red (wrong red), he doesn't have any black listed on his site) is currently 225GBP (~450US$).

I checked with the place that Darth Bling mentioned in Hillsboro. The guy I talked to was very helpful. Of course the paint color I need isn't available from his supplier so the paint alone would be $250 from ColorRite. He thought they might have something that would be close and they could do some custom tinting, so I'm going to ride over there one day next week and see how close they could get.

At this point I've got a line on a couple of black sets for ~$650 (black goes with everything :blush:). If I decide to get them painted it wouldn't be a lot more than buying the color-matched bags from Honda.

Archived