The "people" Ride Report

• Member Contributer

Yesterday (Sat.) morning, I decide to ride to an area I've been to many times but never really got to know the roads like I want to. Hydrate up before leaving since I know it's going to get hot. Hit the button on the sixth gen. and start up the first mountain....my driveway. Take a left then go the long, twistie cut towards Huntland. Really fun roads.

Keep going and get hungry for lunch. I see a Sheriff's car half way hiding in the shade next to a huge oak tree with a "Warning Bad Dog" sign on it. Looks like a perfect place for lunch!! Park the bike and walk over to the the depudy and ask if I would be bothering him if I eat lunch there. He's nice (hit "safe as" Skuuter, I did type that), and says, no problem at all. So I lean up against the tree and start in on the PB&J samich.

I just knew the depudy would get out and come over to talk. He did. Being a rather pesky type, I ask him if he wants the other half of my samich. He says no. I said "had too many donuts today?". He takes it well and says no but they sure are good. He says he rides a bike too. I ask, where? He says on this mountain and around here. I ask...so, you like the twisties too? Oh, yeah, I love running up and down this mountain. I ask, so, do you run the speed limit all the time? He says "no, but I have the ticket book". I say, well, I have one too. Deer in the headlights look....you an officer too? I just raise an eyebrow....not about to say "yes", and just say "I'm the bad dog this sign is warning you about". Another strange look.

He asks, so, do you speed on these mountains? I say, hell yeah, why else would I be on a bike like this? He says, I can't catch you anyway....I say, no, you can't if I don't want you to. He says, but I got a radio...."I do too". Deer in the headlights look. Well, Officer, I need to go, nice talkin' to ya. Leave those sport bikes alone now. Aw, they aren't worth chasin', can't ever catch 'em.

Off I go and proceed to get very lost while knowing generally where I am...don't ya just love to be lost in the beautiful tight twisties in the middle of nowhere?? So, I rail them a while going in the right general direction. End up in the town I didn't want to and then decide to consult the map...the map lied to me. Can't find the intersection I need.

Ah Ha!! Another LEO semi-hiding to ask directions from. I park the rocket bike :pissed: , and ask him for directions. He's turns out to be a real nice young guy (hit "save as" again Skuuter), and calls his office to get directions since he didn't know.

While he's talking, I notice a notebook in his car with officer's names and a list of violations with tick marks in the matrix. He very nicely gives me directions, then he wants to know all about my bike. He wants one for better gas mileage....I recommend the Kawi 250 which he says he's about to buy. I then ask him about the notebook and ask him how he likes the quota system. He's cool and says, it's not really a quota system but helps them know how to concentrate their efforts. I say, yeah, right....he convinces me he's truthful....maybe.... :fing02: Wish they were all that nice and then, I go on with good directions, ending up where I wanted to go.

Gas time so I go in a station in the middle of nowheres and go inside for some Powerade...the pretty blue color. Start BSing with an ancient guy that's a logger in the area. He asks all about the bike and so forth. He says, "if I was young like you, I'd be out doing the same thing" (click "save as" again, Skuuter and keep your mouth shut this time....bet you can't do it). All the folks in the store start BSing and I thought I was going to have to ask one of them to put me up for the night it was getting so late with so far to go. We part ways and off towards Rocket City.

I go thru a very small speed trap town and the local Barney starts playing cat and mouse with me. Having enough of it, I just pull in a parking lot and fold up my arms as he goes by. I pull out behind him and stay there till I leave town. He's a jerk wad. Texas got rid of those little inane speed trap towns years ago. Tennessee needs to do the same.

On towards the house and into town to top off the tank. I park the VFR and begin to gas up a couple of blocks from my pad. Some guy comes up before I take off and says...thayut suuurre is a purty byyyykke in Alabama accent. I say thanks. He asks if it's fast. I say, the black and red ones are. He says, whhyyyy is it thayuut way? I say, because they put better engines in the black and red ones. He says "oh". I say, they make red, white, and blue ones, but they're slow because they put a smaller engine in them. He says, oh, I suuuree wuuudn't whaaant one 'o theeyyum. I said, they're OK if you just ride to lunch on them.... :beer: Off to the house and down the treacherous driveway.

Anywhoo, that's just a sampling of the folks I met and had fun with. It seemed as though it was "talk with people day" which was a real hoot. I meet more people on my bikes than by any other means. Oh, met a real nice Hog guy and thought I never would get away from the gas station. He was cool with any kind of bike.

300 and something miles later and a lot of the time lost and exploring made for a late arrival, and a really cool (but hot) day. Yep, I like to play with people.... :goofy: Hope you enjoyed the book!! :beer:

• Member Contributer

And that's why I like living around here! :pissed:

Thanks for the snapshot of life outside the city limits of "Greater Huntspatch"!

Hopefully you didn't go out today and get caught in the T-storms.

• Member Contributer
And that's why I like living around here! :pissed:

Thanks for the snapshot of life outside the city limits of "Greater Huntspatch"!

Hopefully you didn't go out today and get caught in the T-storms.

I did do a very quick 100 mile run this morning on the K bike. Haven't been on it in a while and, WOW, does it have the giddy up and go!! It's everything people think it's not, except for the snob factor..... :fing02: :beer: Gotta love it!!

Sounds like a great ride, Jim. Thanks for the write-up.

Sometimes it's good to take a little time and chat up the locals, other times I just want to find the next great road. wink.gif

• Member Contributer
We just need to see pics of all these characters you are talking to.

I wasn't in the camera mode yesterday. Besides, I was pushing it more than I wrote about with the LEO's. If you haven't figured it out yet, I like to play around with people. Pics make a lot of people uncomfortable. :pissed:

• Member Contributer
Bent playing semi nice with not one, but two cops in one day? Someone call hell it may be snowing there.

This might explain the two thunderstorms from opposite directions and the hail we had today... :pissed:

• Member Contributer
Ok now.. Dont be playing with the Local Leo's.. It may bite you sometime.. If they ever figure it out..

Sounds like you had a blast....

Not a problem. One of the keys to reading people is to let them talk after a greeting, listen well, and they'll tell you "who they really are"....especially LEO's. Yes, it was a nice day!

• Member Contributer

Talking to LEOs while out on the bike..........proud of Ya' Buddy.........good stuff, next time pictures............ :pissed:

• Member Contributer
Talking to LEOs while out on the bike..........proud of Ya' Buddy.........good stuff, next time pictures............ :fing02:

Very nice restraint there buddy!! :laugh:

Tell ya what, I'll take more pics if you take less!! :fing02:

Gap Trash, I did say I was in a pesky mood (translation: smart azz!)!! :laugh:

• Member Contributer
Texas got rid of those little inane speed trap towns years ago. Tennessee needs to do the same.

Don't know where you got your intel but Texas still has PLENTY of them. One of the worst ones in the state is just 10 miles up the road from me.

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/commen...ll&st=33003

Sounds like you had a great day. :laugh:

• Member Contributer
Texas got rid of those little inane speed trap towns years ago. Tennessee needs to do the same.

Don't know where you got your intel but Texas still has PLENTY of them. One of the worst ones in the state is just 10 miles up the road from me.

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/commen...ll&st=33003

Sounds like you had a great day. :fing02:

I got my intel from living in Texas for too long. However it is today, it used to be much worse.

Yes, it was a neat day....thanks!! :laugh:

Sounds like a fun day of messing with people Bent! :fing02:

I talk to LEO's all the time if I'm around them, never know that friendly conversation might help if you happen to meet them again in a professional manner. :ph34r:

:laugh:

A week ago Sat. I was on the return leg of my favorite loop here poking along at casual 65 in a 40 through a nice set of twisties and just as I straighten out here comes a County LEO. Blam, my V-1 screams a full on blast of Instant-On Radar from 200 ft away. :blink: I'm toast and know it so I just throw up my left hand and give a big

" Hi, yah got me wave" as we pass each other. I looked in my mirrors and saw no brake lights or Blue's so I just continued along at the same Pace hitting a stop and two turns just in case he planned on a delayed turn around. Nothing!!! Awesome, that's 25 MPH over and nothing, I would think that would be something he'd want to write. Guess it was my lucky day. :laugh:

I will Not run from a LEO if behind me, but I won't slow down if I don't see Blue lights from one going the opposite direction either. :fing02:

Sorry to say my LOOP is becoming more popular now and I see more bikes of all kinds and the LEO's that follow. Passed a group of 25 cruisers and several LEO's within 50 miles of my start point, looks like a new loop will be in the cards soon. sad.gif

• Member Contributer

I talk to LEO's all the time if I'm around them, never know that friendly conversation might help if you happen to meet them again in a professional manner. :ph34r:

A week ago Sat. I was on the return leg of my favorite loop here poking along at casual 65 in a 40 through a nice set of twisties and just as I straighten out here comes a County LEO. Blam, my V-1 screams a full on blast of Instant-On Radar from 200 ft away. :blink: I'm toast and know it so I just throw up my left hand and give a big

" Hi, yah got me wave" as we pass each other. I looked in my mirrors and saw no brake lights or Blue's so I just continued along at the same Pace hitting a stop and two turns just in case he planned on a delayed turn around. Nothing!!! Awesome, that's 25 MPH over and nothing, I would think that would be something he'd want to write. Guess it was my lucky day. :laugh:

I will Not run from a LEO if behind me, but I won't slow down if I don't see Blue lights from one going the opposite direction either. :fing02:

Sorry to say my LOOP is becoming more popular now and I see more bikes of all kinds and the LEO's that follow. Passed a group of 25 cruisers and several LEO's within 50 miles of my start point, looks like a new loop will be in the cards soon. sad.gif

65 in a 40.....what's goin' on....you're riding my pace............... :blink:

• Member Contributer

I talk to LEO's all the time if I'm around them, never know that friendly conversation might help if you happen to meet them again in a professional manner. :blink:

" Hi, yah got me wave" as we pass each other. I looked in my mirrors and saw no brake lights or Blue's so I just continued along at the same Pace hitting a stop and two turns just in case he planned on a delayed turn around. Nothing!!! Awesome, that's 25 MPH over and nothing, I would think that would be something he'd want to write. Guess it was my lucky day. :ph34r:

Sorry to hear that Kev. That's why I'm always on the lookout for "out of the way places". I blame it on Jason Britton....that bike thug that influences kids exactly the wrong way. When I see an LEO, I think, at least I know where he is.... :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I talk to LEO's all the time if I'm around them, never know that friendly conversation might help if you happen to meet them again in a professional manner. :blink:

Correction, your pace is 35 in a 40..... :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Correction, your pace is 35 in a 40..... :ph34r:

Read my thoughts.....had enough....try this......................... :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Sounds like a fun day of messing with people Bent! :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

" Hi, yah got me wave" as we pass each other. I looked in my mirrors and saw no brake lights or Blue's so I just continued along at the same Pace hitting a stop and two turns just in case he planned on a delayed turn around. Nothing!!! Awesome, that's 25 MPH over and nothing, I would think that would be something he'd want to write. Guess it was my lucky day. :fing02:

I will Not run from a LEO if behind me, but I won't slow down if I don't see Blue lights from one going the opposite direction either. :rolleyes:

Correction, your pace is 35 in a 40..... :laugh:

Read my thoughts.....had enough....try this......................... :goofy:

I read your book....it put me to sleep.... :schla15:

• Member Contributer
Sounds like a fun day of messing with people Bent! :biggrin:

I talk to LEO's all the time if I'm around them, never know that friendly conversation might help if you happen to meet them again in a professional manner. :laugh:

:rolleyes:

A week ago Sat. I was on the return leg of my favorite loop here poking along at casual 65 in a 40 through a nice set of twisties and just as I straighten out here comes a County LEO. Blam, my V-1 screams a full on blast of Instant-On Radar from 200 ft away. :ph34r: I'm toast and know it so I just throw up my left hand and give a big

" Hi, yah got me wave" as we pass each other. I looked in my mirrors and saw no brake lights or Blue's so I just continued along at the same Pace hitting a stop and two turns just in case he planned on a delayed turn around. Nothing!!! Awesome, that's 25 MPH over and nothing, I would think that would be something he'd want to write. Guess it was my lucky day. :schla15:

I will Not run from a LEO if behind me, but I won't slow down if I don't see Blue lights from one going the opposite direction either. :rolleyes:

Slowing down or hitting the brake lights is an admission of guilt in a cops eyes. There's actually a legal term for it, a cop I know told me recently. Yes, Skuuter, I have a friend that's a cop....very good friend in fact....hit "save as" again.... :fing02:

Slowing down or hitting the brake lights is an admission of guilt in a cops eyes. There's actually a legal term for it, a cop I know told me recently. Yes, Skuuter, I have a friend that's a cop....very good friend in fact....hit "save as" again.... :rolleyes:

I rarely ride in a full tuck, reserving that riding position for slabbing it, and even then sometimes I sit up a bit.

Why? The VFR looks fast enough without me appearing to be a racer-boy wannabe to passing LEOs. I don't want or need that kind of attention.

Also, some cagers and other riders will think you're hot-dogging it trying to go really fast - and will tail you or want to pass you 'cause they're so macho. My reasoning on that may sound silly, but I've seen it happen many times.

• Member Contributer

Bent, I admire your courage with the LEOs. I also see the advantage to your approach. I may have to try it sometime.

• Member Contributer

Bent, your "save as button finger" has gotta' be sore after this thread................. :biggrin:

Oh yeah, by the way you're really turning into a "Post-Ho" lately.....now if we could get you to use that camera more.... :rolleyes:

Archived