Memorable Ride Along The Dykes

This ride report was not on a VFR, but I feel it was worth mentioning. The ride would have been perfect on a VFR, and I think what I did on this day was what a VFR was made for.

I had a trip to visit my wife's family in the Netherlands planned, and one of her uncles told me to bring a helmet and a jacket. I was dropped off at his farm in the early morning for coffee and preperation. The weather had been cold and snowy for the entire week, but this day was supposed to be clear. I set off on a borrowed ZX7, and followed Om Rene to his friends house to pick up a second bike. The second bike was a Honda duel sport 650, but Rene gracipusly let me stay on the Kawasaki.

We rode through the county and as I got used to the bike, I relaxed and really started smiling. I was meandering through the farmland, smelling the cow poop and watching windmills in the distance. My smile was growing as I realized that I was actually riding through Europe and not reading about some other lucky guy doing it. When we got to the Ijssel river, we stopped for a smoke. I was asked if I was having fun and I relayed that I was in heaven.

l_fda42f5eb13c5e7e58bd56c8b1955416.jpg

We then rode along the dyke to the east of the river. The dyke was about 20 feet above the riverbank with a thin road on top. It was really twisty and perfect for the PACE method. I ignored my aching wrists on the zx and was blown over by the fun. Another stop and I told Rene that I was hungry. So we got on a highway, into some large farmland then into a small fishing town called Urk. I could not believe this postcard town and the way you could ride right up to the harbour on the brick pavers. We stopped at the only place open and that was a fancy tea room. Rene convinced the ladies there that were not the high tea types and that we would like some "biker food" They made us an ausmiter (sorry fro the spelling, Dutchy) which is two pieces of bead with eggs, oinions, ham and cheese on top. Very good.

l_5923c367d8459a0dc65521b133262de3.jpg

Next, it was off again on the longest, straightest road I have ever seen outside of the American mid west. We got into another small fishing town called Elborg. Here I was treatred to a dish called "kibbling". No one could tell me what type of fish this was made of, and more that one told me that they couldnt describe it in Dutch, let alone English. It seemed to be a cod like fish, fried in a greasy beer batter and let me tell you, it was fantastic. Outside the fish shop (Vis Huis), a group of bikes had gathered so I figured this was also "biker food". Every bike there had a GPS mount and hard luggage, but alas, no VFRs.

l_6cf233f6324fa892f2b47b81ca5c9482.jpg

l_1f8ca5d2f0f71495a4081efe64fa6ecb.jpg

l_60f7bcf9df84f08020a5b88e35a6db50.jpg

Belly full, we sarted back through the forrests neer Appledoorn and Heerde. Very very nice rice back, with a little bit of everything to see, and ride through. We arrived back at home base at my wife's parents house for more coffee.

l_c768729161851f19ed1d05b460889174.jpg

Then another amazing thing happened. As I was thanking Rene and seeing him off, I guy with a van and a trailer drove by. I started shouting and jumping and my father in law told me that this guy lived just 2 doors down. So we went over to watch this guy unload a Bimota SB4 and HB2. I was floored. My son sat on one (I am still jealous)

l_db2a41e684ad4686dba650281d8c5c28.jpg

Then this guy opens the van and unloads a MV Agusta 750s America!!!!!!!

l_0669a396c66a9f0fa585ff0c42dc76fd.jpg

Inside his carpeted garage he then showed me his 1981 CBX with 3 miles on the clock and his Benneli six racer. WTF!!!!!!.

l_a089858fb33ef8ce943d1372935a8e9c.jpg

One of the best bike days of my life and I highly recommend it. My only regret was that I was unable to hook up with Dutchy, and for that I feel bad. I WILL BE BACK!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Good report and pics.............. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Yeah,

We should've done this, if not for the :unsure: ing snow all week.....

Most important though, you got to see your extended family you got to ride a dyke!!!! :fing02:

:rolleyes: Urk used to be an island. Then they build a very long dyke on both sides towards the mainland and started pumping and pumping and pumping to reclaim the land.

goed gedaan jochie!!!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the report! I really enjoyed it, especially seeing the rare Bimota, Augusta and CBX. I would really like to see the windmills sometime.

I got just a wee bit excited to read this, as I will be in the Netherlands in August! :thumbsup:

Won't be seeing mijnheer Dutchy though, as he'll be on vacation. sad.gif

Probably won't get to ride any bikes either, although one of my wife's uncles used to have a Honda Dominator (can't help writing that without thinking of Arnie saying it in an Austrian accent, LOL).

• Member Contributer

Ok, I hate you now!!! +1.gif And I don't even know you!! +1.gif

Seriously though, I'm glad you took pictures to remember that this dream trip really happened to you. Good for you!!

I do have a question though: did the guy told you why he was not riding that bike that had only 3km on it?!? I didn't realize you could find those!! :wheel: Seriously, aren't people supposed to ride them??

Cheers,

P.P-M

QUOTE_"I do have a question though: did the guy told you why he was not riding that bike that had only 3km on it?!? I didn't realize you could find those!! +1.gif Seriously, aren't people supposed to ride them??"

l_5a9c0d7861f7e39558c1f5693b0a4451.jpg

He spoke no English and his Dutch was in a dialect, so the only word we both got together on was "Grimeca" when he showed me the brakes on his Benelli Six.

He also showed me pictures of himself in the 50's on a Norton cafe bike with his current wife on the back. Nice guy.

• Member Contributer

Wow! Thanks for sharing that sounds like a lot of fun +1.gif

• Member Contributer
QUOTE_"I do have a question though: did the guy told you why he was not riding that bike that had only 3km on it?!? I didn't realize you could find those!! +1.gif Seriously, aren't people supposed to ride them??"

l_5a9c0d7861f7e39558c1f5693b0a4451.jpg

He spoke no English and his Dutch was in a dialect, so the only word we both got together on was "Grimeca" when he showed me the brakes on his Benelli Six.

He also showed me pictures of himself in the 50's on a Norton cafe bike with his current wife on the back. Nice guy.

his trip meter shows 333 miles whereas his odometer 3 miles..... looks like he tweaked it to show all threes...... better than 666 I guess.... tongue.gif

Nice to hear yo had a good ride in our little country by the sea :beer:

Looking at the pics I take it this was not the Easter weekend as the wheather was pretty bad then?

Next, it was off again on the longest, straightest road I have ever seen outside of the American mid west. We got into another small fishing town called Elborg. Here I was treatred to a dish called "kibbling". No one could tell me what type of fish this was made of,

Must have been the Oostvaardersdijk next to the IJsselmeer or one of the roads perpendicular to that one, through the "polder" along the windturbines. It looks like your wifes uncle plotted a nice route.

Oh, and Kibbeling is indeed made of Atlantic cod.

• Member Contributer

Dykes or dikes, we call them dijk (single) or dijken (plural)

HPIM0229.jpg

road.jpg

Dykes or dikes, we call them dijk (single) or dijken (plural)

HPIM0229.jpg

road.jpg

looking at those pics, makes me want to go back. maybe in October................................

• Member Contributer
Oh, I forgot to mention, I am the bald one in the photos.

Excellent cause I was wondering who the guy was with Tim on his jacket :blink:

Great write up man, glad you got to ride and see some classics, I guess family should be in there too :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Thanks for the report! I really enjoyed it, especially seeing the rare Bimota, Augusta and CBX. I would really like to see the windmills sometime.

You want windmill? We give you windmill tongue.gif

After completing the Fiamm mod today, I took my 4th gen for a spin and I knew just the windmill to go for.

HPIM6080.jpg

The area where I live is very flat indeed...

HPIM6078.jpg

where at certain points, the water level in a river is higher than the land...

HPIM6083.jpg

You should come over one day to see for yourself.....

Archived