Nice Tire Change

AvalonRacing

• Member Contributer

So, as you can tell from my signature below I don't have too much confidence in dealers, shops or just about anyone who is paid to work on motorcycles. So far I'm two for two (or three for three if you want to count it that way).

Some of you may remember that my front cowl was cracked by a smaller performance shop late last year (they bought me a new one). Well, I wanted to get some Pilot Power CT2s put on this so I took it to a local dealer. $399 installed. The scratches in my wheels... No extra charge. They aren't huge but they are pointless and unnecessary. I didn't even make a big deal about it. In fact, I didn't even tell them. What's the point. I'm just convinced that any time you take a bike into a shop it will be damaged.

If anyone knows a shop in the Maryland/DC area that gives a shit. Let me know.

So, as you can tell from my signature below I don't have too much confidence in dealers, shops or just about anyone who is paid to work on motorcycles. So far I'm two for two (or three for three if you want to count it that way).

Some of you may remember that my front cowl was cracked by a smaller performance shop late last year (they bought me a new one). Well, I wanted to get some Pilot Power CT2s put on this so I took it to a local dealer. $399 installed. The scratches in my wheels... No extra charge. They aren't huge but they are pointless and unnecessary. I didn't even make a big deal about it. In fact, I didn't even tell them. What's the point. I'm just convinced that any time you take a bike into a shop it will be damaged.

I put tape around the center hole of my wheel, that helps alot, However i forgot to do it some times and do have scratches, but yeh every time you have a tire changes expect a scratch on the wheel, but do the tape method it will help in that area.

Even IF you chose to do nothing else about it, I wonder what these guys' response would have been if you had simply run your fingers over the damage upon recieving and inspecting the work, and simply ask: "Would YOU find this acceptable if this was YOUR bike?" <_<

If they say no, ask: "What can we do about it, then?"

If the say yes, just say: "No problem. I guess I'll just have to find another place whose Anal Expectations are as LARGE as mine. Oh, you wouldn't be able to recommend someone like that, would you?" :goofy:

Kinda falls under the category of: 'IMPLIED, BUT NOT STATED'..... :warranty: :pissed:

They scratched my wheels last time I had a tire change, I politely said something about it and they gave me a free tire change. Wasn't really much else they could be expected to do. In reality though my wheels are usually filthy and the filth covers up the scratches quite well, what can I say? I'd rather be riding than cleaning my bike.

• Member Contributer

I bought a nomar tire changer, and change my own tires now. No scratches. Free tire changes. It comes with a bunch of free friends too, no extra charge.. :warranty:

• Member Contributer

I feel your pain......the rims on my VFR get a new scratch or two every time I get new tires. They just don't seems to care.

• Member Contributer

You definitely have the right to mention it to them. It's too bad you didn't at the time, as it's harder to convince them they did it once you've left the shop. A responsible shop is going to own up to its mistakes. You're not giving them the opportunity to make amends if you don't tell them what happened. Doing nothing keeps you angry and prevents them from improving. My two cents.

Take yer bike to Crossroads Cycle at Carlin Springs and route 7. They will not break your stuff.

Ask for dennis and tell him timmy sent you. You will be well impressed.

703 820 3712

• Member Contributer

I took it to a shop in the Baltimore area. But thanks for the recommendation, TTC.

Yeah, I may call the shop on Tuesday to let them know. That I'm annoyed. I was just trying to let it all go but at the same time I wish that they would just spent a couple more seconds and be more careful. As mentioned... they probably wouldn't scratch their own wheels.

• Member Contributer

Do what I do - Change the tires yourself. This way, you won't feel so bad about the scratches :warranty:

I forgot to add the X-Roads just got a tire machine that has nylon bushes that do not scratch the wheels. I saw them put some tires on a set of $4000.00 Oz wheels with this machine and it was no sweat.

With over 75,000 miles on mine and lots of tire changes (all over the country and none by me) my wheels are scratched all to hell.

I'm much more concerned with front wheel brake rotors than with cosmetics when I have a shop change tires.

Even IF you chose to do nothing else about it, I wonder what these guys' response would have been if you had simply run your fingers over the damage upon recieving and inspecting the work, and simply ask: "Would YOU find this acceptable if this was YOUR bike?"

If they say no, ask: "What can we do about it, then?"

They scratched my wheels last time I had a tire change, I politely said something about it and they gave me a free tire change. Wasn't really much else they could be expected to do. In reality though my wheels are usually filthy and the filth covers up the scratches quite well, what can I say? I'd rather be riding than cleaning my bike.

What he said..... :thumbsup:

Falls into the above quote category. You're not gonna get new wheels, but it's gotta be worth something. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Can anyone recommend a Honda Dealer in the Philadelphia area that I can trust? I have tires to replace, the recall to deal with AND I sure would like an honest service department to work on my bike all the time. I will drive to Maryland if I have to...

• Member Contributer
If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

*Disclaimer: My wheels are scratched to hell.

:warranty:

• Member Contributer

I have been out of the DC area for over 10 years, but, when I lived up there, I was always happy with Myers (or Meyers?) Cycle in Kensington, MD. 301-897-00050.

YMMV.

Ron

• Member Contributer
I have been out of the DC area for over 10 years, but, when I lived up there, I was always happy with Myers (or Meyers?) Cycle in Kensington, MD. 301-897-00050.

YMMV.

Ron

I should check into that to see if they are still there. I used them on back in 1991 and they were good guys. Thanks.

Archived