Battery Time

y2kvfr

• Member Contributer

So, I've had my OEM battery in my '00 since, well, since I bought the bike in April of 2000.

The direct replacement is a YTX12-BS or westco 12V12-B ($75.95)

BikeBatts has a generic for $37 + shipping.

Has anyone used BikeBatts?

I _*KNOW*_ I'm on borrowed time with an eight year old battery, and at the end of my riding season in the fall I noticed the lights dimming more than usual at idle.

I regularly use the BT Jr., and I attribute the long life of the battery to that.

I suppose I can call NAPA, Autozone, PartsAmerica and such, but I don't think I'd be able to beat $37!

Well it depends on what you want for value. 37 bucks is going to be unbeatable, but would you put a 9.00 pair of brake pads on? I would pay a litte more and get a brand name. Even if you pay 76 buck if you continue to use the BT jr. (which is why it lasted so long) And it lasts another 8 years that is 9.50 per year. Can you afford that?

So, I've had my OEM battery in my '00 since, well, since I bought the bike in April of 2000.

The direct replacement is a YTX12-BS or westco 12V12-B ($75.95)

BikeBatts has a generic for $37 + shipping.

Has anyone used BikeBatts?

I _*KNOW*_ I'm on borrowed time with an eight year old battery, and at the end of my riding season in the fall I noticed the lights dimming more than usual at idle.

I regularly use the BT Jr., and I attribute the long life of the battery to that.

I suppose I can call NAPA, Autozone, PartsAmerica and such, but I don't think I'd be able to beat $37!

• Member Contributer

Don't always need to spend the money for the name brands. I put a brand new Yuasa into my '99 a couple years ago and it didn't last a year because I let the bike sit without riding for months on end and no trickle charger. Replaced it with the WallyWorld house brand battery, and got a trickle charger while I was at it. No issues since then, and I still don't ride all that much. I suspect any battery hooked up to a Battery Tender type charger will last a good long time.

Go with a gel type battery. I'm betting the $37 one isn't a correct replacement. The ST1300 battery is the same size as the VFR battery, but offers a little more juice for starting.

I bought a battery from the local Advance Auto Parts for my 2001 after the original being in there for 5 years. The new one lasted 1 year and 8 days (1 year warranty). At $60, I decided to spend a little more and get a name brand OEM replacement the next time. I ride regularly and use a Battery Tender as well if I'm not riding for any length of time.

• Member Contributer

My OEM (Yuasa sp?) lasted some 8 years.

Went for a cheaper one, it lasted less than a year. brought it back to the shop, got a Yuasa again (gladly paid the difference)..

FWIW......

I think you can keep a battery good "indefinitely" (I had an original Yuasa battery in my Honda Accord last for over 12 years, before I killed it with one instance of leaving my lights on overnight) if you keep the sulfation to a minimum and the charge up with a battery conditioner/charger and properly kept filled with acid/water solution. What would eventually kill it with use in a regularly ridden bike within five to eight years is shock and heat that can physically beat up it's internals. Some units might take the beating and last long despite the physical abuse, and some might fail quickly. It's like a mechanical part. All it takes is a microcrack within an intermal plate from the factory for it start falling apart on you.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Go with a gel type battery. I'm betting the $37 one isn't a correct replacement. The ST1300 battery is the same size as the VFR battery, but offers a little more juice for starting.

Seb:

You're talking about AGM type right? Or is there something else? The OEM is AGM, sealed, as is the $37 'wholesale' battery.

thx

Seb:

You're talking about AGM type right? Or is there something else? The OEM is AGM, sealed, as is the $37 'wholesale' battery.

thx

Yep, that's what I meant. I'd be wary of it. Sounds too good to be true...

• Member Contributer

The link I provided in the first post says its AGM, Factory sealed and has a 1 year warranty.

I was hoping someone here (seeings how a good bunch are engineers, and engineers tend to be 'frugal'), has tried them.

If not, I'll prolly just get a yuasa, as it has been good for 8 years...

• Member Contributer

Perfect timing.

I bought my current RCBVFR about a year ago. I added a VTEC subframe which precluded using the stock battery so I got one of those cheapies (about $40ish off ebay) since I didn't know if this mod was going to work. Well, it did work just fine thank you very much but that battery has now died 9 months later. I have an on board voltmeter and the system has never under or overcharged so I can rule that out. The battery died mid-crank and I lost all power; not even the gauges were on. I suspected a blown main fuse but it was fine. 12.3v at rest, turn on key and it went to 0.3v. Hooked up the old 4gen battery I've kept on a tender and it lit the bike right off. POS

Saturday, I found and ordered a westco from batteryplex.com for $75 shipped.

• Member Contributer

My OEM lasted about two years. Yuasa replacement lasted 7. Just replaced with Wallyworld AGM type for mid forties. I use a trickle every once in a while but mostly ride year round which helps. :thumbsup:

I was hoping someone here (seeings how a good bunch are engineers, and engineers tend to be 'frugal'), has tried them.

Engineers, Frugal?, you bet! That's why their work wardrobe usually consists of khaki colored Docker pants and short sleeve plaid shirts....Uhhh.. it also tends to be their weekend wardrobe, their site visit wardrobe, their meeting wardrobe, their party wardrobe...etc..and they carry everything in their college vintage backpacks :blink:

Just kidding Engineers! :idea3:

Beck - Architect

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Engineers, Frugal?, you bet! That's why their work wardrobe usually consists of khaki colored Docker pants and short sleeve plaid shirts....Uhhh.. it also tends to be their weekend wardrobe, their site visit wardrobe, their meeting wardrobe, their party wardrobe...etc..and they carry everyting in their college vintage backpacks :blink:

Just kidding Engineers! :idea3:

Beck - Architect

95 VFR

I do resemble that remark (however, today its jeans, chamois shirt, but at least my shoes and belt match! Middle management here I come!)

I'll check wally world for prices too.

Signed,

One Frugal Bastige smile.gif

Archived