Honda Fixes Charging System Defects

fuldogg

With all the time, money, and frustration involved in trying to repair the Achilles' heel of all VFR's wouldn't it be a pleasant surprise to hear that Honda has addressed the problem and come up with a fix that will be fitted to all VFR's free at your local Honda dealer ?

I've been waiting 20 yrs. for that news but I suspect that I'll probably die before hearing it. What I now would like to hear is that someone, anyone got a free repair or replacement of any charging system part under warranty or not. Feel free to describe your story in detail because we all want to savor the moment when Honda actually admitted there was/is a problem and did the right thing. Operators are standing by !

• Member Contributer

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

GASP

hahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahaahahah

<<<<<<<<<<<< look at sammy!!

even he know thats a riot!

• Member Contributer

i got mine fixxed for free at the dealer!! :thumbsup:

does being the head tech and doing it myself count?? :unsure:

:lol: B)

Fuldogg - in case you missed it - Honda did a recall on the front harness of the Vtec VFR's, and they ARE fixing them for free.

I bet a search will net you the threads upon threads of info.

Their repair method although not perfect is passable, and acceptable.

I think the dealers are the front line in any issue and I've seen and heard of many occations where a good Dealer convinced Honda to cover the problem for free even when out of warranty. :thumbsup:

On the other side and what most of us see is a Crappy Dealer and no support, too bad it's not a inverted situation! <_<

• 5 months later...

wow, this issue seems to be the plague of viffers all the way back to their first ones in 86.... it just happens that i did the charging system upgrade on my own bike only a week ago, and i will have to say, that im surprised that for an upgrade that takes so little engineering, that honda has let it go THIS long...now my bike starts up every time like it was brand new, and the starter spins as fast as it ever did every time i push the start button....why honda, oh why couldnt you have fixed this problem 20 years ago!?

wow, this issue seems to be the plague of viffers all the way back to their first ones in 86.... it just happens that i did the charging system upgrade on my own bike only a week ago, and i will have to say, that im surprised that for an upgrade that takes so little engineering, that honda has let it go THIS long...now my bike starts up every time like it was brand new, and the starter spins as fast as it ever did every time i push the start button....why honda, oh why couldnt you have fixed this problem 20 years ago!?

Why?, cause they were busy designing the SSS and the extruded aluminum spar frame, then PGMFI and LBS, then VTEC and ABS, then push button auto tranny and shaft drive and additional cylinder........Oops!, I went too far!

In short, there were just too many new things to design to bother with the stupid little underseat butt heater. :rolleyes: Hey, those little fins costs money! :blush:

Beck

95 VFR

DATELINE; Summer of 2008 LOCATION: Middle of nowhere THE STORY:

Local highway patrolmen are baffled by the mounting number of pre v-tech VFR's found abandoned alongside the road with dead batteries. Some were even found at the bottom of cliffs with suspicious looking boot marks on the sides of the tank.

Speculation is mounting that owners were simply tired of being stranded by their otherwise reliable steeds and either walked away or, in a fit of anger, pushed or kicked them over a cliff.

A spokesman for American Honda vehemently denies any such speculation and atributes any such rumors of faulty design to burned out diodes and overheated connectors in the brains of said rumormongers. More to follow.

Why?, cause they were busy designing the SSS and the extruded aluminum spar frame, then PGMFI and LBS, then VTEC and ABS, then push button auto tranny and shaft drive and additional cylinder........Oops!, I went too far!

In short, there were just too many new things to design to bother with the stupid little underseat butt heater. :goofy: Hey, those little fins costs money! :blush:

Beck

95 VFR

Not to nitpick, but Elf designed the SSS. tongue.gif :biggrin:

In short, there were just too many new things to design to bother with the stupid little underseat butt heater. :goofy: Hey, those little fins costs money! :blush:

Beck

95 VFR

Not to nitpick, but Elf designed the SSS. tongue.gif :biggrin:

Elf designed the original systems raced in GPs with Honda Engines under Elf sponsorship, Honda designed their version of it for the RC30s and street VFRs under liscense. tongue.gif :blush:

In the least, initial development was like a joint venture.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
wow, this issue seems to be the plague of viffers all the way back to their first ones in 86....

It goes back to my 85 with a burnt 30 amp fuse, and I did major electrical work to my VF1KR to get the battery voltage down to 14, instead of 16 Volts.

I look at it like this. Honda makes crap electrical systems. Suzuki leaves welding slag on the frames and I loose confidence looking at that. Kawasakis tend to blow transmissions. Yamaha builds motors that self destruct regularly.

I'll take shotty wiring of the four choices. It is sad that Honda won't admit it though. Getting left on the side of the road is a very black eye. If it weren't for this site I would not know to check and try and prevent that.

wow, this issue seems to be the plague of viffers all the way back to their first ones in 86....

It goes back to my 85 with a burnt 30 amp fuse, and I did major electrical work to my VF1KR to get the battery voltage down to 14, instead of 16 Volts.

I look at it like this. Honda makes crap electrical systems. Suzuki leaves welding slag on the frames and I loose confidence looking at that. Kawasakis tend to blow transmissions. Yamaha builds motors that self destruct regularly.

I'll take shotty wiring of the four choices. It is sad that Honda won't admit it though. Getting left on the side of the road is a very black eye. If it weren't for this site I would not know to check and try and prevent that.

yeah, my 87 has fallen prey to this same scenario before as well. first the radiator fan switch failed with a permanently closed cicruit, which meant the fan was on anytime the ignition was on. then, the battery died, and left me on the side of the road. charged the battery, commuted to work the next day, and *as* i got home that evening, the battery failed again. I replaced the battery, only to find that it wasnt charging AGAIN. after that, i gave the charging system a once over, found burnt stator wires by the connector, and burnt wires on the r/r. i replaced the r/r, replaced the connector block on the stator wires, added an external ground wire to the new r/r, installed the charging system upgrade (extra 12ga wires from the r/r hot and ground wires to the battery terminals), put a cooling fan on the r/r, and replaced the radiator fan switch. im glad im a packrat, cause other than the $50 i spent on wiring materials, the switch, r/r, and fan laying around my garage came at no cost. after all this work, the old beast starts up every day without question, and is currently my primary means of transportation.

yeah, the honda charging system sucks. yeah, its a known yet overlooked issue with vfr's. but you know what, VFRD and the VFR owning community have done a hell of a job of picking up the slack from honda's shortcomings, and id still own a honda before ANY of the other bike makers.

Archived