Help! Need Conservative Dual-purpose Boots. Where?

Guest Chief Nobody

Guest Chief Nobody

As soon as it warms up here in the DC area, I wanna make commuting on my bike a routine thing. To make things easier, I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a company that makes conservative looking m'cycle boots that I can keep on at work. I work in a white collar building and its 'business casual'.

A lot of boots out there are real flashy, have weird things on the toes, or a huge belt buckle.

Point is, I need something that will be discreet so no one says, "Hey, those are motorcycle boots!" The Joe Rockets below are CLOSE but still too 'street-y'.

2007_Joe_Rocket_Orbit_Boots_Black.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Chief Nobody

• Member Contributer

Conservative is a relative term......I can hook you up with these......I guarantee nobody will say to you "Hey....those are motorcycle boots" :salesman:

redbull01a.jpg

For casual Fridays I would recommend..... B)

1506047070_lg.jpg

In all seriousness.....my recommendation would be to get a good riding boot and take and leave a pair (or two) of shoes to work that you can change into once you get there. You'll be hard pressed to find a good/safe riding boot that doesn't stand out as "riding boots" IMO...

• Member Contributer
Conservative is a relative term......I can hook you up with these......I guarantee nobody will say to you "Hey....those are motorcycle boots" :salesman:

redbull01a.jpg

get some of these and spray them black! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I've had some Diadoras for about 3 years and love 'em. My pants are long enough to cover the velcro strap, and they are plenty comfortable to wear all day. In fact, this is the only shoe (besides my flip-flops) that I took on my 3 week trip to Alaska. Click here to check them out.

I have heard great things about the aerostich combats. Supposed to be really comfortable once they're broken in and offer great protection. As long as you're not wearing shorts they should appear conservative enough. Obviously, they are a bit tall, but the toes are plain. Hopefully that buckle is not too obvious...

400_1as.jpg

lites or

404_1sa.jpg

reg'lar

• Member Contributer
In all seriousness.....my recommendation would be to get a good riding boot and take and leave a pair (or two) of shoes to work that you can change into once you get there.

:rolleyes: That's what I do.

In all seriousness.....my recommendation would be to get a good riding boot and take and leave a pair (or two) of shoes to work that you can change into once you get there.

:rolleyes: That's what I do.

+2 :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Harley Davidson (I know, I know....... <_< ) makes several styles of boots that will fit the bill. I still have one pair now that I ride in, work in, and even wear em' out to eat in, etc. Their prices have come down a lot this past year also, and a lot of independent leather shops now sell em'...worth looking into...................... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I use the combat boots that uncle sam gave me.

All leather, just have to polish them every now and then.

-travis

• Member Contributer

I was in the same situation as you - looking for a safe boot to wear that is at least close to appropriate to the office. I found these - at the BMW shop.

"BMW Motorrad is introducing a new all-year-round touring boot for professional riders. The ProTouring Boots are constructed of 100% high-quality full-grain cowhide leather with a hydrophobic treatment. The 100% GORE-TEX® membrane allows for a long service life and gives you full waterproofing functionality and high breathability. The Cordura®-flex insert, oil- and fuel-resistant rubber sole, PU reinforced tip and gear shift lever protection, makes the ProTouring Boot extremely functional and well deserving of the BMW Motorrad name.

Color: Black

Sizes: Men's 6.5-13. "

gallery_6238_3675_889.jpg

BMW Boots.jpg

They aren't cheap at $359 but they are extremely comfortable and they can fit both under slacks and over leathers. Not that you probably care but they don't have some giant BMW logo on them either.

Good luck,

Kevin

• Member Contributer

+1.gif That's what I do.

+2 :thumbsup:

+3 :thumbsup: I have been doing it in the past three years. Works for me.

Thanks everyone. I think I will do a combo... buy some nice boots AND keep work shoes at work... that way if I walk in the morning into an emergency, I can 'get away' with it for a few hours until I can pull a 'Mister Rogers' and change.

Will take a closer look at the Aerostitch Combat regulars, the Cruiserworks (seems expensive though), and the Skechers Men's Pilot and narrow it down.

Again, thanks, this is the BEST website, man! :thumbsup:

The Chief

I've worn my Z Custom boots a few times to work. Passed as semi dress shoes as long as I put the pant leg outside the boot. :thumbsup:

Those Safetrax look like a good work shoe for me. Minus the yellow wet floor thing on the laces. I should go to K Mart. :blink:

I know, I know, these are not boots. Safetrax shoes with non-slip sole and steel toes. $40 at Kmart. I have been wearing those for the last 5 years (not the same pair, of course).

gallery_11554_3640_14062.jpg

Only problem is the severe lack of ankle protection(as you said, not boots!). For riding, I have a pair of Oxtar TCS Evo boots that squeak and squawk when I walk, no getting away with those... also have a pair of Icon Super Duty boots(the original style, in black). The Icons pass pretty well for regular boots, but I am required to wear steel toes, even though I spend most of my time at a desk now. For work Ihave a real nice pair of warm & waterproof Chippewahs, a pair of Timberlands, and a pair of sneaker-style Sketchers. Once I can start riding to work again, I'll wear the riding boots to work and keep the Timbs and the Sketchers under my desk. :thumbsup:

I don't normally "sprinkle" on my shoes

Me neither, just once in a while. Oops. :blink:

They do look kind of Sketchers like. Maybe I should go to the Sketchers store down the road.

I have boots, but I need work shoes.

Don't buy the Dr Scholls at Waldo Mart.

The soles on mine start peeling off before too long.

Talking shoes suck. :blink:

• Member Contributer
Only problem is the severe lack of ankle protection(as you said, not boots!).

Not a real riding gear by any means, but still better than sneakers or, heaven forbid, flip-flops.

Here is a pair of Safetrax with better ankle protection - although those don't have steel toes. Haven't tried them yet, but I probably will next time I shop for footwear.

gallery_11554_3640_707.jpg

EDIT: Could not wait, just ordered a pair of these online.

The other reason I switch out shoes at work, is that I have clown feet(sz 13). When you combine that shoe size with a double-width safety toe(and the thicher sole that most of these shoes/boots have), it makes for complicated shifting... I have to move my foot around a lot when riding with steel toes, to the point that it gets pretty uncomfortable and cumbersome. <_<

Archived