Help! Need Conservative Dual-purpose Boots. Where?

Guest Chief Nobody

The other reason I switch out shoes at work, is that I have clown feet(sz 13). When you combine that shoe size with a double-width safety toe(and the thicher sole that most of these shoes/boots have), it makes for complicated shifting... I have to move my foot around a lot when riding with steel toes, to the point that it gets pretty uncomfortable and cumbersome. <_<

Sideshow Bob! :blink:

• Member Contributer
Harley Davidson (I know, I know....... <_< ) makes several styles of boots that will fit the bill. I still have one pair now that I ride in, work in, and even wear em' out to eat in, etc. Their prices have come down a lot this past year also, and a lot of independent leather shops now sell em'...worth looking into...................... :thumbsup:

sierratradingpost.com has some very good deals on M/C boots sometimes. Right now they have some pretty decent looking Harley boots.

Me, I wear Sidi Sport Tepors. They are fairly passable everyday boots and are great on the bike.

In all seriousness.....my recommendation would be to get a good riding boot and take and leave a pair (or two) of shoes to work that you can change into once you get there.

:blink: That's what I do.

+2 :thumbsup:

+3 :thumbsup: I have been doing it in the past three years. Works for me.

+4 :thumbsup: I do the same, I have a pair of black Sketchers in a drawer at work. The boots I have, which are 3-4th hand at least(I got them from DutchInterceptor's friend who got them from Dutch who got them from BailyRock I think)....anywho, they work for emergency(I got up late) wear, and other than the squeaks no one seems to notice.

I do prefer a thinner sole...I have avoided combat boot styles for the same reason Seb does, minus the "Bozo the Clown" size....9 1/2 here, so I use a size 10 boot.

• Member Contributer

Well, I got my boots today...

redbull01a.jpg

Oops, sorry, wrong picture.

gallery_11554_3640_707.jpg

So I put the boots on, jumped on my bike for a ride... and I noticed that it was nearly impossible to downshift. Apparently, my shift lever was so much out of adjustment so I had to twist my foot at an awkward angle every time.

A closer examination revealed the fact that the shift lever was not just misaligned, but bent after a few encounters with asphalt (one by me, one or more by the previous owner). A few hammer blows gave the lever the desired shape, and I put it back on the bike (one notch lower than it was before). The shifting has improved considerably, I had much fewer missed shifts from 1st to 2nd. I guess I need to do the Evo Star mod to get rid of misshifts completely...

• 3 weeks later...

Somone else already said go to the Redwing Dealer..... I can vouch for that. I have been wearing only Redwing work boots for about 15 years now. They are the best. They arent my riding boots, however would be perfectly suitable riding boots if you should choose to do so. Your redwing dealer will be able to resole them for you etc. when the time comes.

They are Made here in the USA using quality materials and first rate construction. Any thing you are going to want to be on the bike & in the office you will have to stay on top of cleaning and polishing on a frequent basis; otherwise they will become scuffed and not presentable.

For what its worth, I ride to work in my work boots, but always keep a spare pair of safety shoes at my desk in case I'm caught in a really gully washer of a downpour on the way in to work, I wouln't want to have to work a pair of soaking wet shoes for 9 or 10 hours.

Archived