Been In Accident, Please Help!

Guest murpjaph

Guest murpjaph

Hi all,

Wish I was coming to you in better circumstances. Anyway, idiot pulled out in front of me on thursday and my forks are now nicely bent. There's a set on eBay from a 1990 FK model but mines a 1991 (I think FL) with the slightly newer body styling. My quick question is: Are the forks the same?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

I'm currently looking at both these sets on ebay, but will either fit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/honda-vfr-750-fr-95m...ksid=p1638.m118

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-VFR750F-FRONT-...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Member Contributer
Hi all,

Wish I was coming to you in better circumstances. Anyway, idiot pulled out in front of me on thursday and my forks are now nicely bent. There's a set on eBay from a 1990 FK model but mines a 1991 (I think FL) with the slightly newer body styling. My quick question is: Are the forks the same?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

I'm currently looking at both these sets on ebay, but will either fit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/honda-vfr-750-fr-95m...ksid=p1638.m118

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-VFR750F-FRONT-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you made it through unhurt.

According to Ron Ayre Motorsports website the 1990-1997 VFR have the same forks.

See here: http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0295/fro...mp;parent=11550

I didn't check your links to ron ayers, but the forks are different on the 3rd and 4th gen bikes. The 4th gens have adjustable preload, and the wheel is different so the calipers might be different. The third gen bikes appear to use the wheel off of an F2 and the calipers for an F2 have different bolt spacing on the forks.

I'm not familiar with the different generations. All I know is

1) very early VFR

2) up to 89 (FK I think)

3) 90 on (FL I think, first one with single sided swing arm)

4) ??

5) VFR 800s

My knowledge of these bikes is patchy!

The 95 set certainly look like mine with the addition of those plastic tops.

I'm not familiar with the different generations. All I know is

1) very early VFR

2) up to 89 (FK I think)

3) 90 on (FL I think, first one with single sided swing arm)

4) ??

5) VFR 800s

My knowledge of these bikes is patchy!

The 95 set certainly look like mine with the addition of those plastic tops.

3rd gen 90-93

4th gen 94-97

5th gen 98-01

The 3rd to 4th gens had different wheels and suspension along with revised fairings.

• Member Contributer

Not sure if you bought either set since both auctions ended. Looks like '90-'97 forks are the same with the exception of the fork seal protectors (#20 on RonAyers microfiche, Part Number: 51460-MT3-611 - PROTECTOR, FORK PIPE).

Europe had a mid-generation VFR between '88-'89 that had a slightly different fairing - same shape but different mounting tabs and grab handles (uglier, I thought) and 17" wheels replacing the former 18" rear/16" front combination used in '86-'87.

Thanks guys. I've taken a chance on the 90-97 forks. I am sort of in a bind and need the bike back on the road asap. My pal who works in a breakers says they've only broken 2 VFRs in the last few years and so parts are tough to come by here.

Fingers crossed they'll fit.

Thanks guys. I've taken a chance on the 90-97 forks. I am sort of in a bind and need the bike back on the road asap. My pal who works in a breakers says they've only broken 2 VFRs in the last few years and so parts are tough to come by here.

Fingers crossed they'll fit.

A complete front end with wheel should swap out no problem and you should be able to get the pieces to work outside a complete swap without to much problem.

Good luck!!

:thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're ok. I just had an accident too. My guy hit me from behind. I stopped, he did not. Sent me flying over the windscreen. Nothing but dings and dents on me, but the bike sustaiin considerable damage. Bent my rear wheel, bent the exhaust, and cracked the clutch cover. My poor bike bled all over the road. His insurance company is replacing everything and I've been driving a cage for the last few weeks. There was some minor damage to a few panels, so I'm getting a new paint job as well. All my parts are coming through the dealership.

• Member Contributer
... His insurance company is replacing everything and I've been driving a cage for the last few weeks. There was some minor damage to a few panels, so I'm getting a new paint job as well. All my parts are coming through the dealership.

Is this they way it always goes? They Pay Dealership prices.... If we have to pay, its Ebay.

Glad to hear you are both doing ok.

• Member Contributer

Who cares about the bike. Get another one. You're okay and that's what matters.

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of us (myself included) have wrecked a bike. I remember talking to this guy a couple years ago who said he had wrecked 14 different bikes. No joke.

Well I spent the day rebuilding my TDM forks (which I had put on the long finger) while I wait for my replacement VFR forks to arrive! If I have to look at another set of forks I'll scream! anyway-they're done and I just need to re-install the carbs and it (fingers crossed) will be a runner incase my VFR is off the road longer than I'd like.

From now on I vow to keep 2 bikes in running order at all times! lol

• Member Contributer
If I have to look at another set of forks I'll scream!

This should ease you down a little then...................

HPIM3516.jpg

:thumbsup:

IMPORTANT after a crash to remove and inspect headset bearings as dents/cracks may have formed. Replacement may be needed.

Be cautious of any cracks or bends in front wheel if you re-use it.

GOOD YOU WERE NOT HURT !!gallery_3647_3505_158050.jpg

fs_6988.jpg

Archived