The Vfrd Million Mile Challenge . . .

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, I saw something similar on another forum and thought it was kind of cool. The Idea is to just log your mileage in a post here on this thread. You can do it after a big ride, a day at the track, or after a week of commuting. The interval isn't important but continuing to add miles to the total and getting the math right is. As to the format, I think it would be best to bring the total miles forward from the previous post then say how many miles your are adding to the total, then add them together an then give the new total (Preferably all in BOLD letters). After the math is taken care of, you can post a brief description of the riding that you did. It will be interesting to see how long it will take the riders of VFRD to reach a million miles. I'll go first, who else is in?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 miles + 19 miles added = 19 miles total

First ride of the year for me. I took a quick trip to check on my car which is in the shop. Kind of short and Lame I know, but we had to start somewhere. Besides it is still pretty damn cold around here.

Note: please delete your previous post when you make a new entry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I meant this to be a way to track the total miles accumulated in 2008 by VFRD members collectively as a group, not what anyone did individually. So, for example, if you rode 100 miles today you would add that to my (lame) 19 and the new total would be 119, and so on, until we collect at least one million miles. If you want to include any extra information in the narrative/description portion, feel free to do so.

• Member Contributer
1192 + 85 = 1277

Does this count only riding for the sake of riding (ie, weekend fun rides, trips, etc), or do we throw commuting in here as well? I add 60 miles per day just going to work and back...

Commuting, fun Rides, track days . . . Everything on a bike counts! You can log by the ride, by the week, or whatever. Keep 'em coming !

This thread is going to be over a Million post's ! +1.gif

Will need constant purging to keep it sane, please delete your previous post when you make a new entry to make this less time consuming. Thanks ! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

ok....so Saturday it was warm enough....probably broke high-40's.......so, while working on laying hardwood flooring in the house....I went down to the garage to make a few cuts on the miter saw.....when I caught sight of the lonely covered 98....I quickly decided to go for a short ride.

I pulled off the cover.....ran an old cotton T-shirt over the bike to clean off the settled dust...I straddled my right leg over the Sargent seat...turned the key...watched the dash come to life in it's inviting glow.....then....pulled back the choke....hit the starter.....and heard the fine tuned whine of my Two-Brothers can......I slowly backed it around and faced the bike around and now found myself ready to ride. By now the bike was warmed up and closed the choke......I gripped the clutch lever, slowly pulled it back towards the grip. My left foot scooted forward and pushed down on the gear shift and heard the transmission engage in 1st gear. A grin began to form on my face as I anticipated the upcoming ride.......I slowly let out the clutch and felt the bike begin to roll forward.

My right foot pulled away from the garage floor and found itself rising up to the foot peg.....a slight twist of my right wrist accelerated the bike up out of the garage and came around the side of the house with the end of the driveway another 1000' or so away to freedom. I felt like Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman in "Papillon".......as they take their make-shift raft out to sea. As I begin to add some more twist to the throttle.......I see my dear wife standing on the walkway up to the front door.....our eyes made direct contact.....there was NO way I could play "stupid" and act as though I did not see her.

With my helmet on, ear plugs in and the cans singing....I could not hear what my wife was saying.....but it didn't take a lip reader to figure out the words rolling off her lips "Where the F@*! do you think you're going?" Like Hoffman and McQueen I was caught by the warden and my freedom short lived. I pulled in the clutch....hit the kill switch....and like a broken man...turned off the key, and with heavy heart used my left heel to drop the kickstand. I removed my helmet....as the evil stares continued (did I tell you I love her!!!!!)....took off my gear and headed back to my prison....I mean my house to continue working on the floors (did I tell you I LOVE HER?????) As the afternoon sun began to settle.....I took the bike back down the drive, replaced the cover...and continued to count the days towards my next escape attempt or parole date.....which ever comes first!

So....with that said....let me add to the million mile mark for my weekend efforts!!!

24897 + .00186 = 24897.00186 :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Who deleted my last post!?!? <_<

commuting miles...

28,983+150=29133

I purge this post on a regular basis to keep it from getting out of hand and as I stated once or twice at the beginning of this tread. We don't need a 10,000 page thread just to say + ??? miles. I think the only important and intended info needed is the current total. If that bothers you for some reason, please PM me if you want to discuse it. :thumbsup:

I usually purge most post up to the day before the day I'm purging. :thumbsup:

30082 + 412= 30494

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

54209+363=54572

Rode central California to Bay Area and back, taking the Sierra foothills in on the way home, along with hitting a small milestone on the bike.

IMG_4732Medium.jpg

IMG_4739Medium.jpg

IMG_4747Medium.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Picked up my new 2006 White Viffer on March 22 of this year. (it had been sitting in the showroom)

I've logged 1,743 great miles on it in just over a month on our wonderful North Georgia twisties.

77,282 + 1,743 = 79,025

GeorgiaRider

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Trip to Luxemburg

102,871 + 445 = 103,316

clerf.jpg

• 1 month later...

I went from Chicago to Milwaukee and back. Got to watch for the WI police near the border, they'll get'cha. (92miles each way> 174,317 + 184 = 174,501

176,116 + 1410 = 177526

Haven't been paying enough attention to this thread. That's two weeks of commuting plus down to Tampa and back, down to Deland and back and down to Daytona and back over the past few weeks...

177526 + 359 miles = 1177885

First ride on my "new" 97 from Cinci area to Frankfort then to Owenton (riding on 421 - KY's version of the Dragon) then to Jamestown and across Route 22 to 10 to Maysville. Great day for a ride!

• Member Contributer

+ 1732

Lets see... the following trips since May when I put on the Pilot Powers... Deal's Gap, Red River Gorge, Pine Mountain, Breaks Interstate Park, Pine Mountain, Red River Gorge, Pine Mountain, Devil's Triangle, Beatyville-McKee loop, Devil's Triangle, Devil's Triangle, Devil's Triangle. Along with three rides to work, and just tooling around for a grand total of 5125 miles. The 2CT Pilot Powers are done.... and the 07 now has flipped over 20k.

188412+5125=195269

+ 1732

Lets see... the following trips since May when I put on the Pilot Powers... Deal's Gap, Red River Gorge, Pine Mountain, Breaks Interstate Park, Pine Mountain, Red River Gorge, Pine Mountain, Devil's Triangle, Beatyville-McKee loop, Devil's Triangle, Devil's Triangle, Devil's Triangle. Along with three rides to work, and just tooling around for a grand total of 5125 miles. The 2CT Pilot Powers are done.... and the 07 now has flipped over 20k.

188412+5125=195269

Bueno, the end result appears to be correct so we'll leave it at that!! Hehehe.

195,269 + 850 = 196,119

forgot all about this little challenge....

don't know if Guzzi miles count, so I'll only include mileage from a recent trip on the VFR....1,653.

So........196,119+1,653=197,772

• Member Contributer

197772 + 575 = 198347

Various bikes, various trips and some quarter mile runs :unsure:

Archived