Ohlins Shock Spring Conversion Chart

Veefer800Canuck

Is there an Ohlins # spring for the 929 shock( on a 5th Gen) in the 18-19KG range?

More info:

How To Read An Ohlins Spring Code

1091-34/100 is an example of a code you will find on an Ohlins shock spring. Using the below charts you can “decode” what you are looking at.

The 1091 refers to the diameter and the length of the spring. Almost all Ohlins springs have a diameter of 57mm so that’s easy, the 1091 in this case means it has a 160mm length (when not on the shock)

The -34 is the spring rate. For some unknown reason Ohlins uses it’s own numbers to label rate, but below on the rate conversion chart you can cross reference this number. In this case a -34 is a 10nm or 10.19kg or 571lb spring

The /100 is the springs rate in Newton meters, but without the decimal. In this case the /100 means it’s a 10.0nm spring.

Not sure what the stock spring diameter is, you'd have to measure that and check the Ohlins charts again.

More reading here: http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/suspensionspring.php

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Is there an Ohlins # spring for the 929 shock( on a 5th Gen) in the 18-19KG range?

More info:

How To Read An Ohlins Spring Code

1091-34/100 is an example of a code you will find on an Ohlins shock spring. Using the below charts you can “decode” what you are looking at.

The 1091 refers to the diameter and the length of the spring. Almost all Ohlins springs have a diameter of 57mm so that’s easy, the 1091 in this case means it has a 160mm length (when not on the shock)

The -34 is the spring rate. For some unknown reason Ohlins uses it’s own numbers to label rate, but below on the rate conversion chart you can cross reference this number. In this case a -34 is a 10nm or 10.19kg or 571lb spring

The /100 is the springs rate in Newton meters, but without the decimal. In this case the /100 means it’s a 10.0nm spring.

Not sure what the stock spring diameter is, you'd have to measure that and check the Ohlins charts again.

More reading here: http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/suspensionspring.php

Is there a listing anywhere of the stock spring rates for the VFR Showa shocks? Specifically the 5th gen?

edit: Racetech website to the rescue, they report 15.3 kg/mm (stock).

• 7 months later...

Can anyone tell me what the numbers on the spring that my used Ohlins Rear shock came with, mean:

01092-74/180 L162

Additionally - I'd like to know these numbers on an additional spring I have, mean:

01092-69/170 L336

I've looked at the charts, and searched the web - but I'm stumped. Maybe I need some Eggnog....... Thanks!

Can anyone tell me what the numbers on the spring that my used Ohlins Rear shock came with, mean:

01092 -74 /180 L162

Additionally - I'd like to know these numbers on an additional spring I have, mean:

01092 -69 /170 L336

I've looked at the charts, and searched the web - but I'm stumped. Maybe I need some Eggnog....... Thanks!

Match these numbers with the number in the red on the chart, for spring rate.

Edited by RustyA

01092-74/180 L162

01092-69/170 L336

Both shocks have a spring length of 6.7 " or 170 mm as noted by the 01092 code.

The -69/170 code refers to the spring rate which is a 69,(Ohlins code) or 170 Nmm

or 17.32 Kg/mm or 971 lbs/inch.

The 74/180 code refers to the spring rate which is a 74,(Ohlins code) or 180 Nmm

or 18.34 Kg/mm or 1028 lbs/inch.

The L162 and L336 codes simply refer to the manufactures batch number.

For reference the stock spring is about 01092 59/150. Both of your springs

are stiffer than stock (13% and 20%) and both are the same length as stock.

I hope this helps. Ask away if you have further questions.

Danny

01092 -74 /180 L162

01092 -69 /170 L336

Match these numbers with the number in the red on the chart, for spring rate.

ken, they are 170mm long, 18kg/mm and 17kg/mm spring rates

• 1 year later...

spring on my WP shock is a 180 (1028)

what spring rates should the forks be for balance(same % increase)

any insight?

I would say either a .90 or .95kg depending on the majority of how you ride the bike! :biggrin: