Superbike Handlebars

Guest Bullet

Question

I have a 1991 vfr750f and due to some extenuating circumstances I'm doing some serious modifications to it over the winter. Right now I have a new radiator in transit, I'm going to be ordering some dominator headlights and a vapor kit for the cluster, now I'm setting my sights on doing a superbike handle bar mod. I'm mostly doing this for a better compatibility with the vapor cluster kit but most of the bikes I've ridden have had superbike handlebars and it feels a little more comfortable IMO. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with doing this or could post the link to a thread that describes this. I searched but couldn't find anything. I googled it quickly and found these but they're quite expensive. I like the look and they seem pretty high quality but because of the price I'd like to consider my options.

Any experience, opinions, or links are extremely welcome.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Bullet

Send a PM to FotoMoto. He's done the mod on a few bikes.

If it were me, I'd find a deal on a bar I liked, then have a machine shop make a pair of blocks for me. they're pretty easy to make, if you don't need fancy stuff.

They're going to spend maybe a couple hours cutting two blocks, drilling four holes, tapping one, then cutting the top third of the block off. You'll have to drill two holes in your triple, and buy six bolts. Two to bolt to the triple, then four to secure the tops, which clamp the bar.

This may get more technical if you do a higher rise, then you might need longer clutch, brake, and throttle cables.

YMMV.

Those actually look pretty good, did you drill holes through your stock triple tree's and get some blocks machined like SEBSPEED suggested? I'd like to make my own like we did on my GS but I don't really have the supplies to do that right now so I'd have to get them machined at a shop. It's not such a big deal to get them done, I got my mid-pipe custom made a few months back so I'll just go to the same place but I'd like to still exercise my options so any other opinions would be great.

Thanks for both of your help, it's probably what I'll end up doing.

Bullet

btw: anyone know any other places that sell after market super bike converters that are a bit cheaper that I could take a look @??

Wish I knew something besides what has been posted to help... but they already covered it. Anyone know of a product that will LOWER the grips on a 6th gen smile.gif Would love to ride a bit more like the supersports wink.gif

Wish I knew something besides what has been posted to help... but they already covered it. Anyone know of a product that will LOWER the grips on a 6th gen smile.gif Would love to ride a bit more like the supersports wink.gif

Vortex or similar racing clipons for an F4i. :thumbsup:

Sweet!!! Thanks!!! Now, who can tell me what size forks we have? I know it's been covered to death... but I never paid attention... till now wink.gif

Sweet!!! Thanks!!! Now, who can tell me what size forks we have? I know it's been covered to death... but I never paid attention... till now wink.gif

Just go out and measure the circumference (the length around your forks) and use this to calculate the diameter. Hope this helps!

Just go out and measure the circumference (the length around your forks) and use this to calculate the diameter. Hope this helps!

Better yet, buy a digital caliper. I always take the chance to buy new tools.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=47257

47257.gif

I have this one, and it works great for the stuff i do.

Or check your manual... 43mm.

Like I said, F4i uses the same size tubes, so go out and get yourself a nice set of Woodcraft or Vortex clip ons for a lower position. Or get a set of stock F4i bars, they're also lower.

Thanks... and I do have a set of calipers... and a manual (but was at work when I wrote that and feeling lazy.) Anyone else tried this? Are there any clearance issues? Have I done a good enought job hijacking this thread :P

• Member Contributer
Thanks... and I do have a set of calipers... and a manual (but was at work when I wrote that and feeling lazy.) Anyone else tried this? Are there any clearance issues? Have I done a good enought job hijacking this thread :P

It's going higher that usually has issues. Older gens with 41mm forks have used VTR clipons for more forward/lower lean. I don't recall them having any issues other than the tabs possibly not lining up and having to grind them off which is something you might have to do with the F4i units.

• Member Contributer
Those actually look pretty good, did you drill holes through your stock triple tree's and get some blocks machined like SEBSPEED suggested?

I drilled the stock triple and used TAG mounts. I used a washer on the underside to spread the load. Make sure they are 7/8's and not like the 1 1/8 posted in the dennis kirk link. Also, don't go crazy when selecting bar bend height or pull back as you might run out of throttle cable free play as the mounts themselves add a good amount of height. Look at my pics in my second link to see what I mean.

I was looking over a buddies' dirt bike yesterday, and it made me think. His bike(as well as most other dirt bikes) have those TAG-looking bar risers from the factory. They're rubber-mounted, but it should be easy enough to just delete the rubber bits and bolt it right onto a VFR triple?

Should be real easy to find those on ebay for cheap? (provided you know the bar size ahead of time?)

I was looking over a buddies' dirt bike yesterday, and it made me think. His bike(as well as most other dirt bikes) have those TAG-looking bar risers from the factory. They're rubber-mounted, but it should be easy enough to just delete the rubber bits and bolt it right onto a VFR triple?

Should be real easy to find those on ebay for cheap? (provided you know the bar size ahead of time?)

I should say SOME other dirt bikes, not most...

This is what I was talking about:

9723_1.JPG

I just found this webpage, it may be of interest.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/217/

Those are mostly just risers, for bikes that already have bar setups. There is one conversion kit listed, but it converts to 1 1/8" bars, which are too big to accept our VFR controls.

Doug,

That's a sweet bar setup. Do you have the details on the type of bar you used? Which Renthal bar bend, specs on width, rise and sweep? Where did you get the bar ends that you used? How do you like the bar comfort wise? I'm considering doing a bar swap on my 500 turbo project and your setup looks about ideal!

Thanks

Sean

I just found this webpage, it may be of interest.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/217/

Those are mostly just risers, for bikes that already have bar setups. There is one conversion kit listed, but it converts to 1 1/8" bars, which are too big to accept our VFR controls.

I have the 1 1/8" bar clamps on my Tuono (the stock setup). The tube necks down to 7/8" on the ends though, so you can use those clamps and your stock controls. It looks great and works even better.

IMG_0752.jpg

d5b3_1.jpg

This is a great idea Photomoto. I never thought about drilling stock upper tripple and using clamps. I need to do this to my wifes SV650s so she has a more upright seating position. If she agrees to drilling on her bike, I will try it.

This is a great idea Photomoto. I never thought about drilling stock upper tripple and using clamps. I need to do this to my wifes SV650s so she has a more upright seating position. If she agrees to drilling on her bike, I will try it.

You could just add the standard SV upper tree and bars, should be able to find them cheap of ebay! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

uuummm guys...

if you going to drill out and use your stock clamp.. remember.. its VERY THIN!!!!!! one wheelie. one bump against a wall and it may crack!! been there done that!

what i do now...

take the clamp off.. go to a metal shop.. get some scrap alumium about 3/4 inch think.. shave, file, grind, cut and shape the scrap to fit in the space unuder the tree....drill 1 inch holes in the top clamp

take the bike to to welder.. install tree UPSIDE DOWN!! tighten !

have the welder weld in the blocks you have shaved.. the clamp will stay straight because its clamped to the bike. let cool.. flip over..

weld the top to the block!

take home clean up the welds.. install whatever kit you want.

Guest vfrrider

Or, instead of all that modification, you could just try, say Gen Mars, or Helibars, or maybe convertibars as a last resort.

Just an idea. Cheap, easy, and you can change your mind and go to something else later.

I may even have a set of GenMars for a 90-93 lying around. PM me if interested.

Larry

VFRrider

Archived