Valve Stem Splitting

enzed_viffer

I was checking the pressure in my tyres yesterday, and noticed the front valve stem had a crack in it. The valve stem's only a few days old, as it was replaced last week when the Storms were fitted. It's no big deal (unless I get a rapid deflation) as Kerry will replace it for me, BUT it's the third one I've had do that in the three years I've had the VFR. Every one was in the front.

So what gives?

Is this just a coincidence, or is there something at work destroying my valve stems (cue sinister music...)?

A Kea maybe?

LOL. If it was a kea, the valve stems would be gone.

And most of the seat, various shiny bits'n'bobs from here'n'there.

But no - I'm WAAAY too far north for that. <_<

Anyway - how come you know about the kea? Have you been in NooZilund's Southern Alps?

I don't know, I used to have to bend the vavle stem quite a bit to inflate the tires but never had one braking up (I had them replaced every tire change). But now that I have these 90 degrees valve stems that's a thing of the past.

Yeah, that'd be nice to have. The front stem's hard to access.

I had thought that maybe when I was getting the front wheel off on Saturday I might've damaged it, but they're way too flexible for that, and there's no scratch marks on the rim near the valve from the disk calipers, so it's unlikely.

I also thought it looked longer than the rear one, and maybe it was flexing more, but.... I dunno.

I also thought it looked longer than the rear one, and maybe it was flexing more, but.... I dunno.

Did your mechanic give you a stem from a car? They're longer, but even if it was, would it really crack that quick?? Maybe he was a bit rough with it when he installed it...

Having a nuther look at it, it's actually a shorty like the rear one. It just looks longer because it's got a silly plastic cap on it with a valve tool on the end.

I had a bit of trouble getting the front wheel off, and so when I saw afterwards the stem was cracked, thought I might have caught it on a caliper or summat. It's just weird that it's happened twice before. :goofy:

So, I rang Kerry about it, he said he'd replace it, and I just went all the way over to Morningside to see him. Turns out, he decided after I left to go see him that a solid metal one like he has fitted to the Ducati race bike he sponsors might be the go. Unfortunately, he didn't have any in stock. sad.gif

At least it was an excuse to get out'n'about.

If I'm going to replace it, maybe it's time to get something nice like the 90-degree Ariete ones, instead of an ugly steel one.

Ennnnnnnnnzed, I now have the 90 degree stems from the Gold Wings. THey fit perfect, and make inflation easy. Just another option to throw out at ya! :thumbsup:

Ken : Are the Gold Wing stems metal?

Yes they are metal of some sort.

here is one I still have to install on the front when I swap on the new tire.

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

last 3 numbers of part number are 004

• Member Contributer
I was checking the pressure in my tyres yesterday, and noticed the front valve stem had a crack in it. The valve stem's only a few days old, as it was replaced last week when the Storms were fitted. It's no big deal (unless I get a rapid deflation) as Kerry will replace it for me, BUT it's the third one I've had do that in the three years I've had the VFR. Every one was in the front.

So what gives?

Is this just a coincidence, or is there something at work destroying my valve stems (cue sinister music...)?

Either your mechanic is being a bit ruff installing the valve stems, or there is a sharp edge on the seating area.

They are shorty rubber stems, correct? Long ones will bend from the airflow and centrifugal force.

PLUS, long ones on the BACK WHEEL will hit the rear caliper every revolution (on an 800) and get ripped off in VERY short order.

Apparently they're $7.86 from Ride Now Motorsports - sounds pretty good to me. :thumbsup:

Sounds like another job for Seb's Import/Export Inc. (sexport.com?? :unsure: ) :goofy:

Ya think? :goofy:

I think there are a few other small items I may need, so I'll let you know, Seb (if you don't mind).

And yes, Rob, they are short stems. I'm becoming more sure (surerer?) that the current damage may be from the caliper when I was removing the wheel. I don't think I've ever had to remove the front wheel on this bike before, and may have made somewhat of a pig's breakfast of it. (Slop, I think they like..)

But I got it installed properly, and despite my wife's insistence that there would be parts left over or missing, the only things left over were the old springs and spacers, and some nasty-looking grey fork spooge.

Anyway - how come you know about the kea? Have you been in NooZilund's Southern Alps?

I wish. NZ is high on my list of countries to visit.

But I once saw a clip of a dozen Kea stripping a car, quite impressive. They're even worse than soccer hooligans. :pissed: :lol:

I'm becoming more sure (surerer?) that the current damage may be from the caliper when I was removing the wheel.

Then you most likely would see some damage to the spokes too.

@Ken: I am not sure if it is safe to use the Goldwing stem without the rimholder (part #42754-MN5-000). At warpspeed, centripetal force might flex the base of the stem enough to cause an air leak.

wingstemluv2.th.png wingstemswt9.png

I would get me a pair of Bridgeport valves. They cost about the same as a pair of wing stems and holders. (price shown in the pic above is in US$).

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know the weight difference between a standard valvestem and a metal 90 degree one? I wonder if this could throw balance off by any measureable amount.

Does anyone know the weight difference between a standard valvestem and a metal 90 degree one? I wonder if this could throw balance off by any measureable amount.

It shouldn't matter as long as you balance the wheel after you put the tire on. :thumbsup:

Well, my 'bike guy' reckoned there was no appreciable difference between the standard rubbery valvestems and the Ariete ones (and they did seem almost weightless), so he carefully marked my tyres before he removed them, put them back on in the same position, and didn't rebalance them. They seemed fine to me - no wobbles or vibrations.

As veeferRobCanuck threatened, the Ariete valves make checking and inflating the tyres much, much easier, and they look pretty trick too!

Archived