Volt Gauge Choices

Tightwad

• Member Contributer

My battery has been hanging on for a couple of years. You tend to be lazy about batteries in San Diego. Actually, it was almost 7 years old. And I have been adding electrical crap to the VFR for recent tours so I needed to check that I can carry the electrical load!

Plus it pains me so to see my buddies so tired when they have to push my 99 (the 7th gen will be lighter I hear)!

Fortunately, Mr. Claus purchased some goodies for the other bike and picked up a LED Battery Monitor for the VFR as well. Smart guy!

Following HS lead, I wanted something plain.

The Electrical Connection monitor is just a simple 3 color LED that barely sticks out of the fairing/mounting. Basically 99% of what you see here is under the fairing.

04101.jpg

It follows the Idiot light maxim or KISS.

RED - less than 11.5 volts

AMBER - 11.9 to 11.5 volts

GREEN - 12 volts and up

The install was pretty simple. First a check of my battery after a night on the Tender and just a few key turns. The light sits on the right side in exactly the same relative position as my heated grip rocker switch which is on the left side.

That would be a Red Light!

2460855570099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Then a check with the volt meter beside the Blue Sea, which now has GPS, grips, socket and now Voltage monitor hooked up. So the LED light and voltmeter agree – less than 11.5 volts. Not OK!

2451001810099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Minutes latter ……………Up and going with a new battery (local MC shop/Walmart?) and 12 volts plus.

2292381600099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The light is a little weak in direct sun but you have an option to do away with the plain cover and just go with the bulb. I will give it a try this way for a while.

• Member Contributer
I've been contemplating buying this one:

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDe...ab=overview#tab

I have been looking into Volt Gauge options, and it seems Datel is the common choice. I see nothing about this being a waterproof meter however. I am guessing because it is solid state, and generally flush mounted that water isn't a problem?

Second question, and more pertinent....is there a reason people use the rectangle ones instead of round ones? Radar and I were talking, and round ones would be easier to install I would think.

What are your thoughts? Pictures of installs? Where did you get them?

Better hurry, Ron...they only have 234 left in stock!!! :offtopic:

EDIT: 06/03/08 i recently went through a huge rain storm...150 miles of soggyness.....my lascar started acting up. i pulled it off today and something is loose inside. the reading goes crazy when i wiggle the wire not sure if just coincidence with rainstorm. i should have put some silicone on it to hold the tiny wires better

thats pretty cool. i just installed the LASCAR EMV1200 and it is water proof, but it didn't fit as well on the fairing you mounted yours on. no big though.

IMG_0214.jpg

• Member Contributer

Really like mine. (Custom dynamics).

gallery_2922_262_572455.jpg

volt.JPG

I think I read about some guy in the UK who can program the led display and set it up so that instead of shwing the time, it gives a voltage reading from the battery. Of course you've got to send him and live without your instrument panel for a while... and it was pretty exy

• Member Contributer

For Skutter Eyes Only...................... <_<

I picked up a Volt guage for that other bigger bike as well! Actually the instrument may work fine on the VFR too. Old fashioned analog interface but it does not dance around with constant flickering changes either. It is only 1.5 diameter so it should fit anywhere and it is white LED illuminated and waterproof. Have not installed yet.

Electrical Connection Meter

04120.JPG

• Member Contributer

I use a blue Datel and it is waterproof. After installing the R1 R/R I my volts run 13.6 to 14.2 depending on if I just started the bike or if its been running few a while. The datel is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of making my own, in a pod that would fit between the dash and the windscreen....but I don't have enough gauges to put in there.

I wonder if a TPS gauge would work (no, not the report, the Throttle Sensor)

• Member Contributer
I was thinking of making my own, in a pod that would fit between the dash and the windscreen....but I don't have enough gauges to put in there.

There's an idea. One bar of led's for the TPS, on the left,under the speedo. (left to right, red, amber, green). And another led bar for gearing, on the right, under the gas guage. (green, amber, red).

I'd buy that farkle.

P.S. The answer for not being able to see my single LED voltmeter, in bright sunlight.

gallery_2922_2278_66112.jpg

100_4330.JPG

gallery_2922_2278_254825.jpg

100_4331.JPG

There's an idea. One bar of led's for the TPS, on the left,under the speedo. (left to right, red, amber, green). And another led bar for gearing, on the right, under the gas guage. (green, amber, red).

I'd buy that farkle.

P.S. The answer for not being able to see my single LED voltmeter, in bright sunlight.

You would put it under the dash? Seems it might be hard to see if you have GPS or funny looking Triple tree bags... :rolleyes:

I thought above the dash would fit well....but then I know nothing of making molds. Nice thought on the shift count, that would be a useful one as well at times.....Hmmm, tie that to the Tach and a warning light when RPMs get too low without the clutch in......I think that is beyond my meager abilities however.

Harbor Freight sells a useful "alternator testor" for about $5 that has 7 led's that indicate charging status. Mounting on the bike will test your ingenuity, but it's an inexpensive, weatherproof device.

• Member Contributer
Really like mine. (Custom dynamics).

gallery_2922_262_572455.jpg

volt.JPG

Highfive, brother! I love my Signal Dynamics Voltmeter.

I could never make it fit where you put it though. I guess I didn't have the finger dexterity to shove it in there under the tacho?

• Member Contributer
You would put it under the dash? Seems it might be hard to see if you have GPS or funny looking Triple tree bags... :rolleyes:

Could really put them anywhere.

Thanks Kaldek.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I finally made my choice. It require a bit of custom work, but isn't that the fun? If anyone wants, I can do a writeup of the install...the only hard part was getting it straight and level with the other gauges. Here are some pictures:

Volt Gauge powered off

Volt_Gauge_001.sized.jpg

Volt Gauge powered on

Volt_Gauge_002.sized.jpg

Volt Gauge with voltage regulator for 5v power supply

Volt_Gauge_004.sized.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I am not sure this is the best place for this but BaileyRock can move it if he wants.

Fairly often I see posts about where to put a volt meter.

If you have a GPS, look around in the settings.

A couple weeks ago, I found the volt meter in my Garmin 276c. I would bet that other makes/models have one too.

I even remember reading that some radar detectors have them built in.

I looked in the one I have but couldn't find anything. That doesn't mean it isn't there, just that I couldn't find it.

Happy hunting.

Archived