D30 Armor

il Duce

From what I heard, the US Olympic ski team was using this D30 armor stuff in their ski suits. Can't wait to see this stuff make it's way into motorcycle gear. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I first read about it in the Wired mag. THey talked about its use in one of the bike suits (don't recall the name right now). It is beginning to appear more and more including the discovery channel.

Hopefully, it will become mainstream and affordable in the next couple of years.

Held Gloves has had something like this in them for many years already.

I still remember the salesperson at Helimot showing me how it works. He'd put on the Held glove and bang the back of his hand against the corner of the sales counter as hard as he can without pain or damage. Did the test myself, didn't feel a thing and I was sold. Those Helds were/are still the most expensive gloves I ever bought! Loved using them till I retired them a few years ago.

BTW, the funny looking guy with the funny cap looks like he needed a hit on the head anyway! :goofy:

Beck

95 VFR

That stuff seems kinda like silly putty to me. It does the exact same thing.....soft and maliable when you squish it, but if you hit it hard, it dosen't deform at all. Of course silly putty will break apart with a hard enough hit, and also wouldn't hold a shape very well......

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO
I imagine abrasion resistance isn't that good, but it sure seems like it would help for blunt trauma.

I would imagine you would wear it under leather or codura much like many armored suits already do - such as aerostich and its tf2 armor. I wonder if they will offer this stuff for their suits? The current tf2 armor is suspeptible to heat and it breaks down like most foam does.

The US military has been working with shear thickening fluids (STF) for some time now. they use silica suspended in polyethylene glycol for coating aramid (kevlar) fabrics. Which make it not only resistant to impacts but also stabs and abrasion.

It will be interesting to see where this tech ends up, but I am sure at some point it will make it into the recreational sports.

Archived