3 Gen Vs 4 Gen Vs 5 Gen Vfr

keny

Man I have a werry high bike fever..... :pissed:

So I´m dreaming of a newer bike than my trusty -87 VFR 750.

There is actually nothing wrong whit my reasent bike, well accept the fact I do not like the seat for longer rides.

I have it modyfied and all, but if the fever only go away buy geting a newer bike I might but it back to orginal and might sell the parts to someone... if I get correct price. Now to my question.

I Always liked the 5 Gen VFR the best, love to get one but... money money. I might not afford one now.

So I like to compare the 5 gen to the 3gen and 4 gen.

So the ones that have experiens I love to hear what you have to say abouth the models, even compared whit what I have now!

The things I moustly like to know is:

- Fuel consumtion awarage of the 3 to 5 gen ( I get 5,5l/100 kms whit my current)

- Which one has the most comfortable seat of them?

- Best handelin of them in the twists

- Which has most comfortable pillion seat and leg angel ( the -87 has werry step leg angle)

Also a 3 gen is much cheaper to get, but is a low mile 3 gen better than a more mile 4 gen (or high mile 5gen)

My consern for the 3 gen is the weight and no floating disc brakes (I have them on my -87 whit the moded wheel, but ok I can put the kawi usd fork on the 3 gen bike also..)

Also it feels slow steering what I have ridden one only a short ride. (whit a worn flat 180 att the rear, so can be that)

I have never ridden a 4 gen or a 5 gen.

All thought are welcome!

• Member Contributer

Riding position on all three bikes seem about the same.

The 4th gen bike is the most compact, and feels the lightest.

The 3rd gen bike is a classic, but I also thought it was heavy and steered slow.

None of them have great stock seats.

I believe gas mileage is the best on the 5th gen.

Throttle response on fuel-injected 5th gen is more immediate. Some people find it 'touchy' - I don't have any problem with it.

5th gen bike has the gear tower for the cams on the right side of the engine whereas the others had theirs in the middle - gear noise is much louder on 5th gen as a result.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I went from an 86 which I had added cbr F2 wheels and fork to and an Ohlins shock. It was awesome but the 98 I purchased next left it for dead power and handling wise. I think both bikes look awesome and the '86 is definately worth keeping if you can. But I have no regrets selling mine to get at the new Interceptor. The 6th gen. leaves me a bit cold style and technologically. I'd probably go with a Ducati or Aprillia before I'd sell my '98. The third gen is not even as cool as your '86 but if you bought a fourth gen. I would understand. It's the best of the non Interceptors. my humble oppinion only.

The 4th gen is considered the best 750 VFR ever made, light, strong, Naca ducts. :salesman:

3rd gen is a beauty, but feels heavier. I had a Pearl White 93 and for looks alone wish I still had it.

5th gen, FI 800 is a fantastic bike in all ways with the 98-99 considered the best years with no Cat. it may even have a little more HP and a little less weight then the 00-01.

All great bikes, but like most models they improve some with every new Gen. I would go for the 4th or 5th gen. myself. :thumbsup:

Like mentioned, I was riding my 93 and got to ride a 98 and it blew me away how much lighter, faster and better in every way it felt to my 3rd gen. that I went out and bought a 2000 model as soon as I could find one. :goofy:

• 1 month later...

I"ve been riding a 4th gen for the last year and have loved it. Previous bike being a cbr600. I have just bought a 5th gen vfr. Engine wise the 5th gen seems to have more torque in the low to mid range, has more immediate throttle response as mentioned earlier (which I don't like). The big difference is the stronger brakes and stiffer shocks. The centre of gravity feels much higher in the 5th gen. Seating comfort is for better on the 4th gen.

I have both bike in the garage at the moment and I must admit I prefer riding the older bike with weak brakes and soft shocks. Mainly because it sooo smooth to ride! However once I get used to the newer bike I might change my mind.

Man I have a werry high bike fever..... :unsure:

So I´m dreaming of a newer bike than my trusty -87 VFR 750.

There is actually nothing wrong whit my reasent bike, well accept the fact I do not like the seat for longer rides.

I have it modyfied and all, but if the fever only go away buy geting a newer bike I might but it back to orginal and might sell the parts to someone... if I get correct price. Now to my question.

I Always liked the 5 Gen VFR the best, love to get one but... money money. I might not afford one now.

So I like to compare the 5 gen to the 3gen and 4 gen.

So the ones that have experiens I love to hear what you have to say abouth the models, even compared whit what I have now!

The things I moustly like to know is:

- Fuel consumtion awarage of the 3 to 5 gen ( I get 5,5l/100 kms whit my current)

- Which one has the most comfortable seat of them?

- Best handelin of them in the twists

- Which has most comfortable pillion seat and leg angel ( the -87 has werry step leg angle)

Also a 3 gen is much cheaper to get, but is a low mile 3 gen better than a more mile 4 gen (or high mile 5gen)

My consern for the 3 gen is the weight and no floating disc brakes (I have them on my -87 whit the moded wheel, but ok I can put the kawi usd fork on the 3 gen bike also..)

Also it feels slow steering what I have ridden one only a short ride. (whit a worn flat 180 att the rear, so can be that)

I have never ridden a 4 gen or a 5 gen.

All thought are welcome!

I ride a 4th Gen, here are my observations.

*Gas mileage- I get anywhere from 32 - 42 miles to the gallon, my riding varies between track and very hard street riding to an occasional interstate jaunt. It just depends on the situation.

*The seats on all of them suck, spend the money and buy a good after market seat.

*I've only ridden a 4th gen, but I've been told that it is the lightest and the best handling.

*As for the pillion seat, I haven't spent any time on it myself but I've had lots of passengers <_< a couple that have spent some time on a pillion seat in the past commented that it was more comfortable than what they previously experienced.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm in the same boat. I ride a 1983 I got in 1984 and I have 152,000 mi on it. I'm looking for a newerrr bike (tight on $$$$$$). So lets keep this thread

going and how about some even newer models??? 2002 and up pro's and con's???

ps: Just did a dyno pull at a bike shop open house. With 100 deg. + my baby did a 75 hp pull.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Keny,

next time we meet, just ask to ride my 4th gen ok? :unsure: tongue.gif

• Member Contributer
Keny,

next time we meet, just ask to ride my 4th gen ok? :unsure: tongue.gif

Would that be cool to take my bike over there with a USA Ca. plate on it and go riding there!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

- Gas mileage on the 4th gen is great. I get 40+ mpg consistently.

- Plastic tail pieces on 4th, 3rd gen. are not up to par for durability. Daisy-chain fastening around tail section lends itself to stress cracks.

- 4th gen. instrumentation is pretty awesome IMO. Other than the clock, no digital gauges. Perhaps the best layout I have seen- auto or bike. The white tachometer is very prominent.

- Stock suspension is soggy-feeling. Stiffer springs out front would help the bike in handling.

- 3rd, 4th gen: have a spare R/R ready

- Brakes: on a 4th gen and lower, they work good enough. 5th gen has an advantage with improved calipers and linked brakes.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

just rode my 4th and 5th gen back to back.

4th gen feels much softer, easier to manuever, lighter, lower, more low end, and wider. 4th gen gets the best gas mileage at near 50 for me average.

5th gen feels stronger up top, tall and narrow, has a louder engine.

Archived