Pilot Road 2's Finally Out Now!

HispanicSlammer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did about 300 miles on the new road 2's... nice grip (with the lean that I get... which is not near as much as some.) They felt alot like my old power 2 CTs. Time will tell how long they last, but they felt solid, did not slip, and inspired me to not act my age smile.gif

At last some informed appraisals of the PR2's from people who have bought & ridden them in the US. When the first thread started here many months ago, the comments from those of us from Aussie land & elsewhere around the world that had access to them for the past 10 months or more was overwhelmed by the comments of those that moaned on about the cost etc etc when in fact they had not ridden on them or in fact had access to them.

What cost is safety (read extra grip), combined with longer wear life, that these tyres provide .... worth every cent is what we said?

IMHO the Road2ct's are awesome, but then I've only ever had the OEM Metz 4 & PR1's to compare with.

The only problem I have with the PR2's is that they are contributing to premature wear on my right hand header pipes. The last time with SWMBO on board we scraped enough to lift the rear off the deck which stepped out a good 12" :unsure: . The good lady asked what was that ... my answer ... "not sure, whether it was the headers or the centre stand" :huh:

We have done over 3,000kms on them now, mostly 2 up, in the heat of the tropics & they show very good wear & the rear shows NO SIGNS of squaring yet. Their grip in the wet is unbelievable also.

IMHO ... Try em, you'll like em!

jmtcw

Dave

Been in Saskatchewan once and I don't remember many twisties.

What are you talking about....why, theres one just off of....umm, errr, well then theres one section just outside of....hmm, umm fine.

Theres the cloverleafs on the south edge of town. :huh:

Yes, we have to travel a bit of distance (ie: B.C., Black Hills etc.) to get to some fun roads but at least the VFR is somewhat comfortable getting there.

Regarding the BT's, I noticed a week or so before I stored the bike that when turning, it seemed to "fall in" moreso than normal. Now is that a tire issue or is it that now I'm starting to actually get into the turn (body position, head moved to the appropriate mirror) or is it something else completely?

I guess its no big deal, once I complete the suspension, I can get my dealer to take it for a spin and verify my concern. And that wont happen till next April anyways. <_<

• Member Contributer

What are you talking about....why, theres one just off of....umm, errr, well then theres one section just outside of....hmm, umm fine.

Theres the cloverleafs on the south edge of town. :huh:

Yes, we have to travel a bit of distance (ie: B.C., Black Hills etc.) to get to some fun roads but at least the VFR is somewhat comfortable getting there.

Regarding the BT's, I noticed a week or so before I stored the bike that when turning, it seemed to "fall in" moreso than normal. Now is that a tire issue or is it that now I'm starting to actually get into the turn (body position, head moved to the appropriate mirror) or is it something else completely?

I guess its no big deal, once I complete the suspension, I can get my dealer to take it for a spin and verify my concern. And that wont happen till next April anyways. <_<

When new, the 021's do turn in good. As they wear, the front tire goes completely away as far as confidence and predictability.

I've learned to not like the tire so much that I have a new 021 on the rear of my '06 and am getting ready to put another brand tire on the front to replace the worn out 021 front. I'll just burn through the rear while having fun on some fast straights. I usually don't go that fast on straights...anybody can do that. Bridgestone makes nothing I want. In fact, a half worn front 021 is plain dangerous IMHO. No, I don't like 021's..... :goofy:

At last some informed appraisals of the PR2's from people who have bought & ridden them in the US. When the first thread started here many months ago, the comments from those of us from Aussie land & elsewhere around the world that had access to them for the past 10 months or more was overwhelmed by the comments of those that moaned on about the cost etc etc when in fact they had not ridden on them or in fact had access to them.

What cost is safety (read extra grip), combined with longer wear life, that these tyres provide .... worth every cent is what we said?

IMHO the Road2ct's are awesome, but then I've only ever had the OEM Metz 4 & PR1's to compare with.

The only problem I have with the PR2's is that they are contributing to premature wear on my right hand header pipes. The last time with SWMBO on board we scraped enough to lift the rear off the deck which stepped out a good 12" :goofy: . The good lady asked what was that ... my answer ... "not sure, whether it was the headers or the centre stand" :huh:

We have done over 3,000kms on them now, mostly 2 up, in the heat of the tropics & they show very good wear & the rear shows NO SIGNS of squaring yet. Their grip in the wet is unbelievable also.

IMHO ... Try em, you'll like em!

jmtcw

In the recent sport touring test the Road 2's were head of the list in the wet, on wear they were second place. Over all they were the top rated tire with exception of vaque cornering feel while on the edges.

The met 4 and the pilotroad, its not hard to beat those at all, but your wearing the top rated wet tire in the test.

Dave

When new, the 021's do turn in good. As they wear, the front tire goes completely away as far as confidence and predictability.

My front BT 014 starting doing this. I wasn't sure if it was the tire or my f'd up balance, so for me, this is good to know ... based on this info I think it is the tire. Thanks!

- Dad

• Member Contributer

My front BT 014 starting doing this. I wasn't sure if it was the tire or my f'd up balance, so for me, this is good to know ... based on this info I think it is the tire. Thanks!

- Dad

The turn in on the BT21s is much improved over the old PRs. I have not put enough miles on the front BT to experience the break down experienced by others.

The turn in on the BT21s is much improved over the old PRs. I have not put enough miles on the front BT to experience the break down experienced by others.

FWIW, the BT21s are the first set of tires that I ran where the front and back wore out at the same time. I didn't quite make it to 12K km. I got 13K km out my PRs, but they were no where near as confidence inspiring as the BT21s

Just put another set of BT21s on, but based on the reviews of the PR2s, I'm considering them as my next set.

BTW, I do about 21K km a year, about 35% twisties. Unfortunately, I've got to slab it an hour in any direction to get to some good bits.

The turn in on the BT21s is much improved over the old PRs.

The turn in of the PR2 is a lot quicker than that of the PR, don' t know it that's generaly regarded as an improvement, but I like it :D The PR2 has a crossection between that of the PR and PP.

michelin30av1.png michelin33oi0.png

Like I said before not thrilled with the front 021 and have been in touch with Bridgestone about the wear problem. Will wait for their reply before installing another front to see what, if anythig, they will do about it. If they wont do anything these are the next replacements:

gallery_10323_2816_313577.jpg

Just got them this past week.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Bridgestone did absolutely nothing about the early demise of their front tire on my bike so the Michelin Pilot Road 2CTs went on Monday right after I pulled the forks and replaced the springs and valves to meet my weight. I have only gotten about 200 miles on them so far but they feel great so far. I hope to get more miles on them and can let you know more about them as the miles accumulate. Till then heres hoping for more good weather.

Pilot Road 2's mounted last weekend. Terrific! Very stable, straight-ahead tire. Feels like I added a gyro-stabilizer to the bike. (6'2", 200-lbs) They also have an excellent feel in turns, etc. Noticeably different, to me, than the previous Pilot Powers. But I like the difference so far. The Roads-2 would seem to suit the road type riding I do here in LA - and hope for better tire mileage than the Powers.

I had Pilot Road 2 dual compounds on VFR since April. For mileage they are amazing, covered 5000 miles and still 4.5mm of tread centre rear while the previous Avons were history at this mileage. For dry handling they have proved faultless, as you'd expect on any modern tire. Maybe they will eb 'slower' to lean in than a pure track tire, but I wouldn't know. In the wet, when the road is streaming like a river, best I can say is you forget the tires completely - they just get on w/ their job.

Can't say whether they 'square-off', it's not happened to me but I aim to wear out the edge tread as much as possible when riding!

Value for money? There's no answer to that, for me and bike tires cost doesn't enter the equation - I actually choose sports/touring tires for the mileage, I can't be doing with changing tires during tours thru Italy or France so I like to fit-and-forget.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
BT021's suck. The rear tire is a fine tire. The front tire wears much too fast and erratically....for me. wink.gif

How long did the front last you?

And when did you purchase these tires, I thought they came out new this year?

On my steed, so far so good.

The front, after today in the twisties, is now at the danger point after 3000 miles. Changing it out next Friday. Pretty poor for any kind of front I've run. I have a new 021 on the rear but refuse to put another 021 on the front. I'd rather mix brands and just abuse the rear until it goes away then put some real tires on my 'o6.

They may be fine for some people but just not for me. Between yesterday, and today, I've ridden about 450 miles in 90% twisties as hard as I'm able to and still stay safe. That's my idea of fun.

I'm just hoping to get 2K out of the rear M3 on my snob bike. The front M3 though will last through two rears and they are a softer compound. I buy a lot of tires. :warranty:

dont listen to bent....he rides snob bikes, has been turned to the PP dark side (fair weather friend) and lives in Alabama....need I say more? :unsure:

• Member Contributer
BT021's suck. The rear tire is a fine tire. The front tire wears much too fast and erratically....for me. wink.gif

The front, after today in the twisties, is now at the danger point after 3000 miles. Changing it out next Friday. Pretty poor for any kind of front I've run. I have a new 021 on the rear but refuse to put another 021 on the front. I'd rather mix brands and just abuse the rear until it goes away then put some real tires on my 'o6.

They may be fine for some people but just not for me. Between yesterday, and today, I've ridden about 450 miles in 90% twisties as hard as I'm able to and still stay safe. That's my idea of fun.

I'm just hoping to get 2K out of the rear M3 on my snob bike. The front M3 though will last through two rears and they are a softer compound. I buy a lot of tires. :warranty:

dont listen to bent....he rides snob bikes, has been turned to the PP dark side (fair weather friend) and lives in Alabama....need I say more? :unsure:

He hasn't purchased the PPs yet......I'll believe it when he rides back up here on em'............... :P

He hasn't purchased the PPs yet......I'll believe it when he rides back up here on em'............... :P

sheeple....bah!

• Member Contributer

Oh turtlecreek..........how many times have you fallen down counting T-Mac.....maybe you might wanna' come to the dark side......Pilot Powers are waiting................... :P ......sorry, I just couldn't resist......... :warranty:

Oh turtlecreek..........how many times have you fallen down counting T-Mac.....maybe you might wanna' come to the dark side......Pilot Powers are waiting................... :P ......sorry, I just couldn't resist......... :wheel:

well, if you must know, its 3 times....and they were all on PP's! not really, all on M3's actually...but i asure you, it wasnt the tires, but operator error that caused it. sad.gif

of course thats only on the bikes...if you start talking about at parties, while walking, etc....count gets much worse....but atleast you wont see pictures of me with my suit pants down around my ankles at Beas.... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I'm just hoping to get 2K out of the rear M3 on my snob bike. The front M3 though will last through two rears and they are a softer compound. I buy a lot of tires. :wheel:

dont listen to bent....he rides snob bikes, has been turned to the PP dark side (fair weather friend) and lives in Alabama....need I say more? :goofy:

Ok, here's the facts, I have a good front on my 5th gen. and by the time I wear out a new rear on it, on go the PP's....can't stand the peer pressure any more.... :rolleyes:

As for the snob bike, Mr. Turtleman, it has M3's on it partly due to your rave reviews. They ARE great tires as is the bike with a very small Cee Bailey sport shield on it. At 140, it has more wind protection than a VFR. Of course that's what people tell me, I would never go that fast... :goofy:

Since you offered to buy at Bea's when I show up on PP's, Skuuter, start saving your money.....yes, you have just been "volunteered"... :goofy:

I'm just hoping to get 2K out of the rear M3 on my snob bike. The front M3 though will last through two rears and they are a softer compound. I buy a lot of tires. :wheel:

dont listen to bent....he rides snob bikes, has been turned to the PP dark side (fair weather friend) and lives in Alabama....need I say more? :goofy:

Ok, here's the facts, I have a good front on my 5th gen. and by the time I wear out a new rear on it, on go the PP's....can't stand the peer pressure any more.... :rolleyes:

As for the snob bike, Mr. Turtleman, it has M3's on it partly due to your rave reviews. They ARE great tires as is the bike with a very small Cee Bailey sport shield on it. At 140, it has more wind protection than a VFR. Of course that's what people tell me, I would never go that fast... :goofy:

Since you offered to buy at Bea's when I show up on PP's, Skuuter, start saving your money.....yes, you have just been "volunteered"... :goofy:

good, pm sent with possible date to eat at Bea's (oops, was I invited for this free meal? I am running PP's on my VFR at this time....)

• Member Contributer

I am checking on Saturday....the wife and I both have had "employee issues" and sinus crud....in case we both can get away Saturday, do you gents mind following the Gold Wing 2-up to Beas over Monteagle Mountain. I know the wife won't feel like riding hers. I will PM you back later Dale...not gonna' wake Mitzie at 1:20 AM to ask her about Saturday's agenda........ :wheel:

I am checking on Saturday....the wife and I both have had "employee issues" and sinus crud....in case we both can get away Saturday, do you gents mind following the Gold Wing 2-up to Beas over Monteagle Mountain. I know the wife won't feel like riding hers. I will PM you back later Dale...not gonna' wake Mitzie at 1:20 AM to ask her about Saturday's agenda........ :wheel:

nope, as long as it is closer to a yellow wolf ride than a skuuter crawl for 'most of' the day :rolleyes:

by the way, 'scared to wake her up'? who wears the pants around there :goofy:

Archived