Stinky Leathers

turtlecreek

I have a set of Kobe leathers and really love them for track days. On the street, I wear a 1/2 leather, 1/2 mesh jacket.

I sweat like a south Georgia pig in August so both pieces of clothing are starting to take on a life of their own. sad.gif

I can clean the outside, but how do you get the inside '2 aday football practice locker room funk' out of the inside liners and such? Neither of mine are removable.

• Member Contributer
I have a set of Kobe leathers and really love them for track days. On the street, I wear a 1/2 leather, 1/2 mesh jacket.

I sweat like a south Georgia pig in August so both pieces of clothing are starting to take on a life of their own. sad.gif

I can clean the outside, but how do you get the inside '2 aday football practice locker room funk' out of the inside liners and such? Neither of mine are removable.

Did you try to spray inside with something like lysol/febreeze type of spray and let it dry out? You definitely want antibacterial spray (bacterias stink) and something what smells pleasantly than original smell...

Look for the first product here:

http://www.dudco.com/Chemicals/Fabric/Fabric.html

Other than that I recommend professional leather cleaners ... Maybe over winter.

Martina

P.S. Thanks god that my sweat smells like roses :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I have not personally tried this stuff, but I've seen a couple of glowing reports (Cornerspeed, WERA, etc.): www.leathertherapy.com

The Leather Therapy Leather Wash Solution and Leather Therapy Laundry Rinse and Dressing. You use them in the washing machine. (You might need to go to the local Suds and Duds if you don't have a big enough washer.) Let the suit hang (on a good, wide, hanger) to dry. I know it sounds weird, but the results are supposed to be spectacular! Suits come out clean and free from the salt, sweat, bugs, etc., and feel (and smell!) like brand new.

• Member Contributer

Clean stuff...... :goofy: ........I ride every day. My philosophy: "Ride It til' It Rots".................................another good reason for me to "sweep" VFRD rides instead of being up front (wooziness kills)................. :unsure:

Clean stuff...... :goofy: ........I ride every day. My philosophy: "Ride It til' It Rots".................................another good reason for me to "sweep" VFRD rides instead of being up front (wooziness kills)................. :unsure:

LOL :thumbsup:

I have not personally tried this stuff, but I've seen a couple of glowing reports (Cornerspeed, WERA, etc.): www.leathertherapy.com

The Leather Therapy Leather Wash Solution and Leather Therapy Laundry Rinse and Dressing. You use them in the washing machine. (You might need to go to the local Suds and Duds if you don't have a big enough washer.) Let the suit hang (on a good, wide, hanger) to dry. I know it sounds weird, but the results are supposed to be spectacular! Suits come out clean and free from the salt, sweat, bugs, etc., and feel (and smell!) like brand new.

i had no idea you could put leather in the wash machine...

• Member Contributer

I know washing machines sound bizarre, but that's the way their cleaned professionally.

This is straight from Bill of Barnacle Bill leathers:

yep, this is Bill . and yes that is the way we clean leathers. got a big old washing machine and we remove the armor and throw them in. sometimes some brands will strugle a little but I keep a ball bat ( louisville slugger) handy next to the washing machine to show these unruly and usually smelly leather gone bad who is the boss. a few old towels to help balance out the load helps to and adds some scrubbing action as well. when they come out they will weigh about 50 lbs. do not hang them up. they will stretch a mile. lay them on a flat surface ( turned inside out) before they get dry turn them back and apply a lanolin based conditioner. do this everyday until they are nice and supple. we charge 50.00 for this service plus return shipping which usually runs about 10-12.00 on this side of the mississippi and we feel weearn our money . who am I kidding Darethea is taking the money. I get to eat regularly , Booger too if I'm good. another thing. some reds may bleed onto the white or lighter colors. test this first. these get hand cleaned. also most generic hand lotions are lanolin based. I am not responsible if you get into your wifes expensive avon or imported hand lotion and get caught rubbing it onto your suit. we have ice on the ground . I worked some today but it was hard getting the 200 ft or so into work with all this Ice . Everyone have a good evening. hope this helps some. suits should be cleaned about once a year. your friends will tell you when it is time. barnacle bill barnacle@kyol.net 859 336 7375

His statement about laying wet leathers on a flat surface sounds like a better idea than hanging. (Also, the caveat about red potentially bleeding...).

Glad you don't ride in my group! :unsure:

I guess my shite don't stink! :P

Of course, I'm on my 3rd set of leathers sense Nov. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Glad you don't ride in my group! :unsure:

I guess my shite don't stink! :P

Of course, I'm on my 3rd set of leathers sense Nov. :goofy:

Man, and I thought it was bad exhaust fumes last time I was behind ya'll....................... :blink:

• Member Contributer
Man, and I thought it was bad exhaust fumes last time I was behind ya'll....................... :goofy:

Well it was exhaust... just not from the bike!

I too suffer from SLS (Stinky Leather Syndrome), I first noticed this at an early trip to Deal's Gap this year when I observed myself getting swarmed by flies when other people were not. I like to set my leathers out in the hot sun, which we have had plenty of here lately, that seems to help some. Barnacle Bill's $50 service sounds very reasonable though.

• Member Contributer

Turn your stinky leathers inside out... hang them up outside... soak the lining with a garden hose...

sponge with warm water and mild fabric soap... rise and let air dry...

gallery_3131_51_75243.jpg

To clear the surface use alcohol and a tooth brush... brush the alcohol deep in the nooks and crannies to

remove all the grim... rag off excess...

now your leathers will not only smell new but look new as well...

gallery_3131_51_83607.jpg

thanks everyone. i dont know why i assumed that something designed to survive a 150mph crash would me fragile :goofy:

so the concensus is: a good cleaner and ELBOW GREASE!!

• 1 month later...
Turn your stinky leathers inside out... hang them up outside... soak the lining with a garden hose...

sponge with warm water and mild fabric soap... rise and let air dry...

To clear the surface use alcohol and a tooth brush... brush the alcohol deep in the nooks and crannies to

remove all the grim... rag off excess...

now your leathers will not only smell new but look new as well...

Wow! A little alcohol works wonders. On the leather, I mean!

Thanks, Busy... I tried it on my grimy, bought-on-ebay Joe Rocket and it worked wonders. Thanks for that tip! (Below is the "before" picture):

gallery_555_3259_381112.jpg

• Member Contributer
Wow! A little alcohol works wonders. On the leather, I mean!

Thanks, Busy... I tried it on my grimy, bought-on-ebay Joe Rocket and it worked wonders. Thanks for that tip! (Below is the "before" picture):

gallery_555_3259_381112.jpg

You're welcome...

• 4 years later...

It's quite dusty here, so I need to clean my jacket, pants, gloves and helmet after every time riding out.

I usually spray warm shower water to the leather, apply a little detergent liquid, use cloth to clean the dust on leather surface. Then use the shower water to wash out very quickly. Then get the leather to dry naturally under the wind.

After almost a day, I spray the leather care liquid, which is used to apply to care car leather seats. I think that 's good enough for my leather gears.

i had no idea you could put leather in the wash machine...

You can wash leather in water, cleans it very well, but you have to recondition with some kind of Product to put the oils back in the leather, water will also fade the dyes in the leather, But Funk is not an option, water or not. >G

Archived