5th Gen Fuel Filter Swap

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

Ok. I'm still narrowing down my hiccuping bike. I pulled the filter and continously spraying it with carb cleaner. Tons of micro metal shavings kept coming out and I got tired of cleaning. I found this filter at autozone for around $3.

Pretty simple. Take out the assembly (complete PITA!!) and just be careful with everything.

The stock filter has a diameter around 39mm and this filter is around 43mm. They are the same length. For the bend I added 1 foot of EFI hose 5/16" (high psi). I looked into cutting it down but worried about kinking it. You can't screw the bracket around the filter so just bend the arm back as tight as possible. I'm sure its not gonna go anywhere.

fuel_filter1_(Small).JPG

fuel_filter2_(Small).JPG

Now I'm sure there's a filter out there thats the same size but my bike is my only ride right now so I had to finish. Seems to idle better and should last.

Here's a pic of a Fram filter I found at Walmart but its 8mm smaller in diameter. I thought it would be better to have a bigger filter than a smaller filter. (not the one I used)

fuel_filter3_too_small_(Small).JPG

Edited by Ranger77

The filter you used is designed for carburated applications. You can get an EFI one that looks similar.

My question is....why do you have metal shavings in your fuel filter???

edit-on looking at some other sites, the metal bodied filter should be ok...some BMW owners have used it successfully. Autozone FF401 or FF404 maybe?

Is there some sort of logical reason Honda would ever put the fuel filter inside the fuel tank?

I imagine it is because there isn't room outside of the tank, and would look bad there(hard to hide). It's good they have one at all....older bikes didn't used to have them.

• Member Contributer
Is there some sort of logical reason Honda would ever put the fuel filter inside the fuel tank?

guess 1. there isn't a cubic inch space available, in and around the tank, throttle bodies and you would need at least 4 cubic inches.........

guess 2. the fuel filter would at as a heat sink for the fuel.........vapor lock.....unless yours runs a lot cooler than mine...........

guess 3. in the tank fuel pumps with filters has become the auto standard.........but not a good reason

• Member Contributer

I've always been told that metal filters (high psi) are for EFI and platic filters (low psi) are for carbs. Theres nothing different from the stock filter and this one. Cut open the stock filter and I bet ya its paper just like 90% of fuel filters are.

The VFR fuel filter is a life time item unless somehow it gets contaminated, there's is no recommended replacement for it.

I wouldnt touch or replace it without good reason.

The VFR fuel filter is a life time item unless somehow it gets contaminated, there's is no recommended replacement for it.

Life time filter??? How do you figure that? Why do they make replacement filters then? Its a pretty good idea to change it at least once every two or three years. If it clogs up you bike may run really lean and then it will run really hot...so I have heard. Will anyone else like to chime in on this Life time filter statement? :goofy:

Nothing in my manual related to fuel filter replacement, so I would think they made it large enough to handle it, unless its subjected to alot of contaminant. Like rust water or bad fuel stations

I had a toyaota I ran 145,000 mile on original fuel filter (but I traded the vehicle which was still fine), as long as it it doesnt get contaminated, its a life time item

• Member Contributer

Just a follow up. Bike has been running fine. I got a BARO sensor off of ebay for cheap so I'll see if the code goes away. I havent had any jerkin/hiccups so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Member Contributer
The filter you used is designed for carburated applications. You can get an EFI one that looks similar.

My question is....why do you have metal shavings in your fuel filter???

edit-on looking at some other sites, the metal bodied filter should be ok...some BMW owners have used it successfully. Autozone FF401 or FF404 maybe?

Here's a '98 setup.

e0fd_1.JPG

Oh come on , its riduculus to assume I got used to poor forming Toyota, I never had any fuel systems issues on that vehicle , all it ran was Exxon superunleaded. It may be hard for you to believe, but you replace fuel filters very frequently as a Maintence item whether it needs it or not.

But on that vehicle ,I put a timing belt on it, a battery, a distrubutor cap and rotor(80,000 mile spark plugs, and fann belts in 145,000 mile, it was actually in very mint condition.

My last bike I ran 40,000 mile with no fuel filter at all

Whats it matter though, unless the fliter clogs up or something there's no issue, but no I'm not replacing the fuel filter unless theres a reason to do so, and again if Honda Thought the Filter was good for only a certain time, they would put it in as a maintenance item.

But heck no I'm not replacing my 06 VFR fuel filter till theres a reason, 25,000 mile and counting.

Do I change the oil? more frequently than the filter, but oil and air contamination is much more an issue than fuel filter contamination as long as clean fuel substance is utilized.

Edited by spud786

Guest ScottW

Even though Honda has no specified change interval for the fuel filter, there is a fuel flow specification. First guess for a low fuel flow would be a plugged filter.

I've never cut open a VFR fuel filter, but I have cut open FI fuel filters from automobiles.

Every one has had a fine mesh screen filter inside and not a paper elemnt. Makes sense............if it gets plugged up, it has enough stremght to retain it's shape, while a paper element would probably collapse under the high pressure of the EFI pump.

I'd stick with a OEM filter unless I was sure the substitute is a EXACT replacement in construction and flow rate.

Even though Honda has no specified change interval for the fuel filter, there is a fuel flow specification. First guess for a low fuel flow would be a plugged filter.

I've never cut open a VFR fuel filter, but I have cut open FI fuel filters from automobiles.

Every one has had a fine mesh screen filter inside and not a paper elemnt. Makes sense............if it gets plugged up, it has enough stremght to retain it's shape, while a paper element would probably collapse under the high pressure of the EFI pump.

I'd stick with a OEM filter unless I was sure the substitute is a EXACT replacement in construction and flow rate.

:unsure: OEM baby....ron ayers! If it aint broke, dont try to fix it.

• Member Contributer

:goofy: OEM baby....ron ayers! If it aint broke, dont try to fix it.

$43 for a fuel filter. No thanks.

• 1 year later...
I agree, only change the fuel-filter if you get contaminated fuel, or you begin having issues.

A fuel filter can 90% plug up with water and sediment, with no deleterious symptoms, then when you go to the track, it won't rev to redline or when you are touring 3000 miles from home, a few additional drops of condensation will constrict the flow and cause poor running or worse.

If Honda has no replacement interval, that is because the filter does not routinuely have anything to filter out of the fuel, like the carbon and metal chips in oil. But one never knows when one will get a contaminated batch of fuel. The fuel station's filter can fail or be installed wrong or not at all. In other circumstances, a portable container with contamination may be used at the track or in an emergency, with the same result.

(Just beating the dead horse while I research, how-to replace the fuel filter +1.gif ) Edited by joel1952

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

perhaps a little :biggrin: but be careful with the remove/ replace of that unit.

I learned the hard way that if you bend the little delicate lip on the pump opening in the tank, it will not seal until you return it to its exact shape.

If you look at the rim, there is a very thin ridge or flange if you will that doesnt take much to bend out of shape. The only way to know if you got it right if it does become deformed is to install pump, put in gas, hold it up, and pray it doesnt leak down your sleeve.

My body guy used this hole to use his hammer to bang out a dent in my tank and he bent that flange. took me 11 tries until I stumbled upon the shape that sealed.

should have replaced the filter. I forgot.

ok......carry on.

Life time filter??? How do you figure that? Why do they make replacement filters then? Its a pretty good idea to change it at least once every two or three years. If it clogs up you bike may run really lean and then it will run really hot...so I have heard. Will anyone else like to chime in on this Life time filter statement? :biggrin:

Nope it is considered a lifetime filter. Honda did the same thing to their cars years ago. We use to replace them but in like 97 they became lifetime filters.

I have yet to see one stopped up. I am also talking 500k mile cars.

Nowadays they have filters built into the gas pumps at the station, so as long as they regularly maintain them (which is mandated by law, to have the internal fuel meters calibrated and checked, and is usually carried out by a 3rd party mtnce company), so there shouldn't be too much issued with fuel contamination.

• 3 weeks later...