Got A Nail In My Tire....

Guest Kr0nus

I was going to go for a quick ride today and I went over my gate guide and something felt funny. The front tire felt fine, same bump as always, then I didn't really feel a bump for my rear just a mush. I stop and look, sure enough I have a flat. The nail is almost smack in the middle of my tire. Can I just get it repaired (I still have a lot of tread left) or just buy a new one. I bought it and had it mounted at Cycle Gear, does anyone know if they have a warrenty against something like this? Car tires do. Oh, it was a Pilot Power tire.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was going to go for a quick ride today and I went over my gate guide and something felt funny. The front tire felt fine, same bump as always, then I didn't really feel a bump for my rear just a mush. I stop and look, sure enough I have a flat. The nail is almost smack in the middle of my tire. Can I just get it repaired (I still have a lot of tread left) or just buy a new one. I bought it and had it mounted at Cycle Gear, does anyone know if they have a warrenty against something like this? Car tires do. Oh, it was a Pilot Power tire.

I had the same thing happen to me. My thought is I only have 2 tires and I dont want to take any chances.....Buy a NEW tire. Unless they offered you some kind of road hazard warranty its not covered. Plus they would only patch it anyways.

And remember CHECK YOUR TIRES EVERY TIME BEFORE YOU RIDE ! I make it a point to at least give my tires a hit ever time I stop just to be sure the feel nice a aired up. Riding should be just like flying, make yourself a check list before every start up.

• Member Contributer

You need to really really be careful with that tire.

So what I recommend is that I fly up there and take that bike off your hands so you don't need to worry.

• Member Contributer

back when you were commuting to work all those miles, and when you couldn't keep up with me i would have said patch it! now you don't commute and your riding at most riders 8, 9, 10/10ths, i say NEW and don't look back! if jeremy wants to pay the shipping, i would send it to him. i know somebody rode one of my take-offs for a few months..........................

back when you were commuting to work all those miles, and when you couldn't keep up with me i would have said patch it! now you don't commute and your riding at most riders 8, 9, 10/10ths, i say NEW and don't look back! if jeremy wants to pay the shipping, i would send it to him. i know somebody rode one of my take-offs for a few months..........................

I was right behind Isaac this weekend! Yeah, I think your right, I can't risk taking a hard corner and something happen to the patch.....

Jeremy, do you really want the tire?

• Member Contributer
I was right behind Isaac this weekend! Yeah, I think your right, I can't risk taking a hard corner and something happen to the patch.....

Hell yea! I love patched tires. I'll pay shipping, no problem.

Seriously though, if I were you, I would have it patched from the inside, correctly, and it will be damn near good as new. The dealers that say they won't do it because it isn't "safe" just want to sell you a new tire at retail cost. I know of tires with multiple patches in them being used at the track, doing burnouts, wheelies, every abuse you could think of and have never heard of one failing. If you do send it to me it will be disposed of at the track, or at Deal's Gap in May. :thumbsup: +1.gif

Ok, I'll need some more opinions. Right now it's 1 to 1 go with the patch or don't. I ride at a "pretty good pace" in the twisties (in my limits though), so keep that in mind wink.gif

Patch it, i have had many patches in car tires, never had one go out, years later. Actually i have plugged M/C tires before, never had one of them go bad either.

• Member Contributer

Example of patched tire...

patches.jpg

Seriously though, I bet no one can find more than 1 person that has directly experienced or witnessed a problem from a properly patched tire. The patch is forced into the hole from the inside of the tire and is larger on the inside than the hole and is cemented in place making it impossible for the plug to come out. I have never heard of any problems caused to the belts of the tire from a (proper) patch either.

• Member Contributer

patches.jpg

Seriously though, I bet no one can find more than 1 person that has directly experienced or witnessed a problem from a properly patched tire. The patch is forced into the hole from the inside of the tire and is larger on the inside than the hole and is cemented in place making it impossible for the plug to come out. I have never heard of any problems caused to the belts of the tire from a (proper) patch either.

Dang, getting blown away by a bunch of Harley's. How humiliating!! +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Just couldn't catch those guys. I was trying not to push it since I had about a dozen patches in that rear tire though... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

patches.jpg

looks to me like the hogs are getting away and their not even hanging off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here we go again....

Do I REALLY have to tell you (again) about the time I ignored the advice of the VFRd, patched my tyre (and my tire too), and it exploded, I crashed and died, then the bike exploded and I died all over again?!? It was too horrible! :goofy:

Don't listen to the SafetyNazis! They just want to spoil all your fun!

I've had two (2) tyres now (and 2 tires, so that makes four(4) in total) that have had a puncture in them no long after they were first fitted. (I REALLY must stop riding in gutters and between lanes +1.gif ). Both times I had them plugged, and both times they've been fine. The last one is on my current ride, and is still good, after more than a year, maybe as much as 18 months. I get free puncture repairs for the life of my tyres, so why would I not get them fixed?

• Member Contributer

How about the simple "ream, glue, plug & trim" type, like dirt bikes use so successfully? You know, the $8 kit from any Wal-Mart?

• Member Contributer

I've used safetyseal plugs before and had success. That's on a bike that I don't ride 600 mile days on. If you do short trips and don't push it, you have a good chance for success. If you ride hard, why chance it? Depending on the size of the puncture, the tire may be damaged to the point of failure.

If Jeremy doesn't take it, I will. I even have a tire machine and patches in the garage. I worked in a tire shop for a few years. I say as long as it is patched from the inside and not plugged from the outside, it is fine to ride on.

• Member Contributer
Ok, I'll need some more opinions. Right now it's 1 to 1 go with the patch or don't. I ride at a "pretty good pace" in the twisties (in my limits though), so keep that in mind wink.gif

I had a screw in the front tire of my Katana. Stopped at the first garage, they patched it with a plug with out even taking it off the bike and in about 5 minutes I was riding again. Kept riding for another 2 years after that w/o any issues untill the tires wore out and I had to change them.

If you patch it from the inside, it will be even safer than the plug.

I would just patch it and not think twice about it.

If you decide on scraping this tire, I would gladly dispose of it for ya :wheel:

Don't listen to those other guys... they will not do as fine a job of disposal as I would :goofy:

• Member Contributer
How about the simple "ream, glue, plug & trim" type, like dirt bikes use so successfully? You know, the $8 kit from any Wal-Mart?

Now that I would not ride on farther than to have it properly repaired.

With a tire that has belts going through it, plugs like that actually push the belts apart and damage them. Patching from the inside is a much better repair. Plugs work for a roadside repair to get you home, but not as a permanent fix.

I have been very anti-patch in the past, but I have seen a few guys ride fast with patches with no problems reciently. Just make sure it is an internal patch and you should be fine. I might limit the tripple digid speed runs though. As long as you wear leathers it shouldn't be too much of a problem in a getoff. :salesman:

• Member Contributer
I might limit the tripple digid speed runs though.

Meh. I knew a guy that worked at a shop that only used punctured tires that people chose to replace. He would run 20psi and ride wheelies for miles and wear out a tire in 500 miles. You can't get much more stress on a tire than that kind of heat and abuse. He had run nearly a hundred of these tires, never had a problem yet, and had one tire with 5 patches in it before it was finally worn out. I have run a patched tire at the track, and have gone 150mph on a patched tire.

Damn, I am a terrible salesman. I probably could have had a nearly free tire out of this thread <_<

I had the same thing happen to me. My thought is I only have 2 tires and I dont want to take any chances.....Buy a NEW tire. Unless they offered you some kind of road hazard warranty its not covered. Plus they would only patch it anyways.

And remember CHECK YOUR TIRES EVERY TIME BEFORE YOU RIDE ! I make it a point to at least give my tires a hit ever time I stop just to be sure the feel nice a aired up. Riding should be just like flying, make yourself a check list before every start up.

Actually cycle gear does offer road hazard , but you have to buy it. Cycle gear does no patching at all, the tire is replaced free within first 25% of tread life, prorated afterwards. Very few place if any will patch motorcycle tire any more, I wish I could find one.

Archived