Got A Nail In My Tire....

Guest Kr0nus

• Member Contributer
Actually cycle gear does offer road hazard , but you have to buy it. Cycle gear does no patching at all, the tire is replaced free within first 25% of tread life, prorated afterwards. Very few place if any will patch motorcycle tire any more, I wish I could find one.

DIY or call around to independent shops.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Throw the tire away.

I had a tire patched / plugged from the inside by a professional tire company. Remounted and balanced perfectly.

The tire failed at normal highway speed and I wrecked my 750 Nighthawk. I would have rather paid for a new tire rather than the $500 deductable. I will never have that experience again. Buy a new tire and you'll never have to wonder what is going to happen next... at least with the tire.

• Member Contributer

The choice is yours but I'd start plugging because there is mounting

evidence that plugged tires work and are safe... I have yet to note

anyone armed with first hand knowledge to the contrary...

Witness my heatless vulcanizing plug tire that lasted 4K miles...

2 track days at Thunder Hill and Laguna Seca...

1 H40 race with speeds hitting 140 mph and beyond...

1 1221 mile round trip to Las Vegas and back...

You're looking at a T shape plug installed from the inside but now I recommend a Safety Seal kit...

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/atvkit.htm

MeZ3TirePlug.jpg

If the nail is in the middle of the tire go ahead and patch it. I used a plug to repair a flat on my back tire several months ago and it has not leaked any air since then. It will take you all of five minutes.

Cheers,

Dennis

• Member Contributer

I repair my car tires(depends) sometimes, but tight as I am, I still throw away my cut, punctured, flat, motorcycle tires........can't bring myself to trust em' any more............................ :unsure:

Guest daddysbike

Get a new tire. I've had 3 flats on 3 different bikes in the last 2 yrs including the VFR 3 weeks ago on a tire with 60% left. I had a flat on my CBR600 in '05 with only 500 miles on new tire, it too picked up a nail. Don't mess/flirt with riding on a "fixed" plugged tire. you plug it so you can ride and have it safely replaced.

Steve

• Member Contributer

For some riders tire plugs are unsafe... they would spend too much attention on the plug

and not enough on where they're going and what they're are doing... it short it's a

barrier for which only a new tire can solve... so even thought they may not find the right

words to express their fear... I still respect their choice...

Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an innertube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair.

Only a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle tire dealer should perform repairs. Inspection of the tire and adequacy of repair becomes the responsibility of the person actually performing the repair and Dunlop does not warrant the results of a repair in any way. Combination patch/plug repair kits for use by the repair shop or dealer are available with accompanying instructions from companies such as:

Remarco Inc.

200 Paris Ave.

Northvale, NJ 07647

(201) 768-8100

Technical Rubber Co.

P.O. Box 486

Johnstown, OH 43031

(740) 967-9015

Tip-Top/Moto Combi Kit

Tech Uni-Seal® Repair Kit (Also has been marketed by Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha with their own part numbers.)

NOTE: There may be suitable repair kits and materials provided by manufacturers other than those listed above.

Before any repair should be attempted, however, a tire must be removed from the wheel and thoroughly inspected. The following are minimum guidelines for the repairer:

Tires should not be repaired if any of the following conditions exist:

1. A tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer.

2. The puncture is larger than 6mm (1/4") in diameter.

3. The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass.

4. The puncture is in the tire sidewall.

5. Separation of plies, tread separation, separation of any other components.

6. Cut or broken ply cords.

7. Broken or damaged bead wires.

8. Cut or damaged chafers (bead area).

9. Deterioration of the carcass inside the tire due to "run flat" or underinflation.

10. Cracks or other damage to the integrity of the inner liner.

11. Excessive wear - tire should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread depth, excluding tread wear indicators.

12. Cracks in sidewall or tread.

13. Impact breaks, cuts, snags or gouges that penetrate the surface.

NOTE:

1. There should be no more than one repair in any quarter of the tire and no more than two repairs per tire.

2. The wheel itself must be in good condition. Any cracked or bent wheel, however slightly, may allow the loss of air and cause subsequent deflation of the tire.

3. Following repair, the valve assembly should be replaced and the tire/wheel rebalanced.

4. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair.

In summary, NO form of temporary repair should be attempted. Motorcycle tire repairs leave no room for error and any doubt as to inspection or adequacy of repair should be resolved by discarding the tire.

Be sure to consult our Motorcycle Tire Limited Warranty, Care and Maintenance brochure for additional information regarding the use of Dunlop tires. Seek a qualified motorcycle tire repair center for more details. NEVER ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A DAMAGED TIRE WITHOUT THE AIDE OF AN EXPERIENCED TIRE MECHANIC.

• Member Contributer
I dont know about you but I travel over 80 alot.................so "New Tire for me Please!"

That is lawyer speak. They probably don't recommend using a new one of their tires at over 80mph either.

I dont know about you but I travel over 80 alot.................so "New Tire for me Please!"

That is lawyer speak. They probably don't recommend using a new one of their tires at over 80mph either.

Um yeah....thats why we have speed ratings..... We are going to have to ask you to move your desk down to storage room B....Thanks

• Member Contributer

i will plug to get the bike home and new tire asap i ride fast sometimes and i dont trust plugs at high speeds,thats my opinion,spend the money on the new tire.

Guest 767fixer

Um yeah....thats why we have speed ratings..... We are going to have to ask you to move your desk down to storage room B....Thanks

But does he get to keep the stapler?? :unsure:

Pilot Power, eh? It is not safe, send it to me for proper disposal :salesman:

Ok, I have a new tire now with a replacement warrenty. Do you really want the old tire? Cycle Gear would not plug it because of liability and I'm not going to patch it and give it to you (for the same reason). I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if you do want it. Just pay for the shipping.

• Member Contributer

I had very good results from an inside Patch-Plug installed at a local Independant shop. I found out I was getting nails from my 1/4 mile gravel driveway and purchaced a magnetic sweeper to clear the drive of debris. Patch it and enjoy the miles you will get out of it.

• Member Contributer
Pilot Power, eh? It is not safe, send it to me for proper disposal :salesman:

Ok, I have a new tire now with a replacement warrenty. Do you really want the old tire? Cycle Gear would not plug it because of liability and I'm not going to patch it and give it to you (for the same reason). I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if you do want it. Just pay for the shipping.

Sweet. Just let me know how much for shipping and your paypal address. Thanks! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Here is a picture of the tire:

tireso7.jpg

The puncture is pretty much in the middle. Give me your zip and I'll let you know how much shipping is.

tireso7.jpg

The puncture is pretty much in the middle. Give me your zip and I'll let you know how much shipping is.

I'll get the shipping info tomorrow morning.

I'll give you $20 and shipping for it! :D

Just kiddin, Jeremy is the lucky duck here! :D

I would patch it using a plug and a patch from the inside. If it were to fail, chances are it would not be a blow out, the tire would simply go flat, like it would if you picked up a nail going 80mph. I think most of you guys are picturing some kind of mega blow out occuring at 100mph, I doubt very seriously that would be the case, the carcas of the tire is much strong than that.

tireso7.jpg

Sorry for the delay man. My wife was supposed to take the tire with her to work, but she forgot (twice). I'll be borrowing her car tomorrow and getting the shipping info.

• Member Contributer
Sorry for the delay man. My wife was supposed to take the tire with her to work, but she forgot (twice). I'll be borrowing her car tomorrow and getting the shipping info.

Whenever you get around to it. I have plenty of tires right now to last me for months, and you are doing me a favor here. Thanks! :goofy:

Archived