Just Changed My Shock

KanadianKen

For you guys that have changed a shock and realized the difference it made, just ignore this - it's old news to you.....

However for the rest of us NEWBIES (myself included) to changing a shock - read on......

My shock had 30,000 kms / 18,000 miles on it. I think it was gradually weakening over time, and I kept compensating for its poor functioning. THe tipping point came when I realized the licence plate had been smashed up into the undertail. I have the Comp Werkes kit on.

I straightened the plate out - ratcheted the settings to the firmest setting and it happenned again. THat told me something had broken internally - or the spring had become so weak that it wasn't doing its job.

Grond1234 (Greg) and I hooked up about a month ago for me to download his custom PC3 map, and when I was there - I mentioned the shock issue. Without thinking about it, he handed me his original OEM shock, that he had removed at new - when he had his Ohlins put on. What a guy! So, luckily I had a replacement "new" shock to use.

Got the thing changed this am, and what a difference. the bike feels brand new. I set it to the 4th detent and it raised the bike considerably. Went for a very short ride - looked for potholes and bumps - and the bike felt like nothing I was used to - it soaked up the bumps, and was very confidence inspiring, again.

Long story short - I guess over time I compensated for the poor performance and got "used" to it. If the licence plate hadn't become pancaked I likely wouldn't have changed anything.....

Next up as a maintenance item is the front fork oil. FOr that performance, I'll be recruiting a few of my closest beer drinking buddies to "instruct" and demonstrate.

NOt sure when others rear shocks become large paperweights, but I bet mine was due to be replaced at about 25,000 kms.

• Member Contributer

Now if you where a little closer you could come change mine now that you have had all this practice

Now if you where a little closer you could come change mine now that you have had all this practice

I"m pretty sure you can handle it Darren! 17 mm deep socket, 15 mm socket, big allen key - not sure what size, and watch out for the pegs when you're wrenching - my forehead caught one dead nuts in the centre. Must go powder that up!! :tongue:

ALso handy to have someone there to temporarily lift the tank up - I didn't have a helper so it took awhile longer. ALso a great aid to have the floor jack under the swingarm to help with teh realignment of the triangle plates.

I had a similar experience, Ken. My Vtec & I had done 45000 km together when I felt the forks and rear shock had well and truly gone off. My Honda dealer was skeptical, claiming that suspension only needed servicing every 2 years (the bike was only 9 months old). They couldn't service the shock, but they replaced the fork oil for me - immediate improvement!

I suffered on with the rear shock until finally I took it out (70000km) and sent it off to a local suspension guru. They worked their magic, and what a difference! Like you, I was amazed at how long I put up with substandard suspension, and how good it felt once corrected.

Now, at 96000km, I can feel the suspension going off again. The plan this time is to put a Wilbers in the rear, and a service and re-valving of the forks. If a service made such a difference last time, just think how good an upgrade will feel.....

NOt sure when others rear shocks become large paperweights, but I bet mine was due to be replaced at about 25,000 kms))))

I have the hydraulic adjustable shock , I havent noticed any degrade at all in the rear shock at 15,000 mile+, the forks on the other hand have already had the fluid changed and stiffened abit via oil height.

If you ask me they need to put 12 inches front and rear on the bike, and a taller/ more padded seat to increase seat to peg room, I'm only 5/9 .

My stock shock is going downhill with 18k miles on it. It stinks they are not servicable.

Ken, you can do your forks no problem. I couldnt believe how easy it was to just change the oil. We have talked a bit and I have no doubt you could handle it. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Mine had like 40K miles and was toast. I don't know much about shocks, but it seems that it had almost no damping left. The difference I noticed the first time I sat on the bike while stationary. I would sit down and the rear end would lower less than inch and return to its static sag height immediately. My old one would go down an inch and a half or two and bounce on its way back to its static sag height.

I was also unable to get to the correct sag with the old shock. With preload maxed out it was just shy of the correct range, where when I got the bike I was less than half way through the adjustment range, with no change in weight.

• Member Contributer
My stock shock is going downhill with 18k miles on it. It stinks they are not servicable.

Ken, you can do your forks no problem. I couldnt believe how easy it was to just change the oil. We have talked a bit and I have no doubt you could handle it. :thumbsup:

You can send the stock shock to most suspension places and have it serviced. They can also respring and revalve it.

I really believe 18k miles is the magic number too... My first '98 went 18, felt bad, did same as you and bought used from a guy, felt better.... Got my current '98 with 20k, it felt bad, put on a stock 929 shock, at 40k that felt bad, I replaced with another new 929 shock, and it's worn out now (56k)... I'm ready for an Ohlins or penske... rebuildable and high quality.

sad.gif Wifey's VTR250 has oil dripping from the rear shock. Seal is toast.

Have to look into getting it rebuilt. $$$$

I wonder if a stock shock from a newer VTR250 (overseas model) would fit???

EBAY here I come.......

I just got a reply from RMR suspensions in neighboring British Columbia.

ON BOXING DAY!!!!

Looks like they can probably rebuild the shock on the little 250 if there's room to fit a Shraeder valve with no physical interference on the bike. (must check)

And for $139.95 Cdn!!!

• Member Contributer
I'd love to tear it apart to see what made it fail so badly.

Loses it's nitrogen charge. Shock oil breaks down.

Rob - that's a killer deal from RMR - cheaper than Lindemann !

• Member Contributer

What I just can't understand is why Honda made so many non-serviceable shocks.

My '84 XR250R ended up with a Race-Tech rebuild, re-valve, and re-spring, but all these Honda street bikes do not have serviceable shocks? Stupid... :goofy:

Guest 767fixer
What I just can't understand is why Honda made so many non-serviceable shocks.

My '84 XR250R ended up with a Race-Tech rebuild, re-valve, and re-spring, but all these Honda street bikes do not have serviceable shocks? Stupid... :blink:

cheap to produce. no variable valving, no shock bladder. cheap.

Archived