First Bike Poll

Guest avvetteguy

VFR as 1st Bike  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend the new 2007 VFR as a first bike?

• Yes
    • No

my first bike was a Shadow 750 ACE, an excelent bike to learn on IMHO. the positive of a small V-twin cruiser is low center of gravity (easier to balance), wide handle bar (easier to learn to countersteer), upright riding position (confedence building), broad flat torque cruve (forgiving throttle and clutch mistakes), low footpegs (reminds you early of too much lean). Easy to customize (there are far more custom parts in the cruiser market then in sport-bikes).

that said, you should buy mine...the VFR is the only bike i need now :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I just wanted to chime in and say how much I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. :warranty: I really enjoy hearing all different points of view and the "discussion" it generates. :fing02:

I'm curious to see what the reaction is to getting a 2007 as a first bike assuming that $ isnt the driving factor. Im more curious from being able to handle the bike as a first bike.

A 800cc bike that weighs 470lbs dry weight is not for a beginner..A beginner should start on a 250-500cc bike and take a msf course and have full riding gear..

• Member Contributer

I would recommend the SV650 as a first bike. Even if you just MUST have an '07 model, its much cheaper than a new VFR and you really wont outgrow it even though you will want to 'move up' sooner or later. When that happens, keep the SV as a track bike or let the wife or girlfriend ride it. They do make great trackbikes.

• Member Contributer

I voted yes. My first bike at the age of 42 was a Concours. After having it only a month or so, and already loving the styling and other properties of the ST1300 I bought one of those and sold the concours. We have two VFR's. Her first bike was the Yamaha FZ1 an 05.

The bike is really not the problem. All bikes can and will get you into trouble. Its the rider. Their mentality and knowledge of their limits. Again, just my 2 cents.

• Member Contributer

I think I would agree with most posters in that it would be best to start out with a smaller bike. But, I didn't. I could/would recomend the VFR as a first bike if I knew the person better. I'm currently 34 and no longer have a death wish (like 18 through 28). You MUST respect the bike or it will kill you!! You must practice, take MSF course, and for lords sake wear the proper gear!

The bike could be a problem for you, but it is manageable if you have the right frame of mind and a decent set of skills (if you have wrecked your car over and over, motorcycles might not be your thing).

My first bike was a 1971 Yamaha AT125 Enduro, but I think I only road it in the dirt. My first street used bike was a Yamaha RT360 that I road to school and on the trail too. Great to be able to pick a bike up easy when you happen to drop one. :fing02:

Like what most have said here, something small light and not full faired so when you do drop it you can pick it up and not have dome over a grand of damage just falling over in the parking lot. Plus Do take a MSF course!

...I had a CX 500 in 1988 for a year before it died.

Fantastic! My first bike was a red CX500 (which I wrecked). Second bike was another CX500 that I rode the heck out of. Great memories.

My recommendations to anyone who asks what the first bike should be - and I've had many ask: Buy something no larger than a 750, pay no more than $1,000. Ride it all over the place, and sell it for roughly what you paid. Take that experience and move up to something faster and/or shinier and/or heavier. Make all the learning boo-boos on something that isn't your dream bike.

Now, the initial desire to own and ride a motorcycle being what it is (a very strong emotional impulse), the advice is, as you would guess, rarely followed. In fact, just spoke to someone the other day whose husband just bought his first bike. VTX1800. Sigh...

DB

• Member Contributer

Baileyrock hints at it, consider a dual sport. You can pick up a used DS (the KLR is my usual recommendation) cheap. The 650s have enough power to do almost anything you want, but not so much as to get you in over your head before you know it. They'll carve really tight twisties as well as (better than IMO) many sport bikes. They're pretty drop resistant, not much plastic and, heck, a DS gains character with each ding and scratch. After 10 to 12k miles, when you decide what you really want in a sport/sport tourer, buy it and keep the DS for adventure touring. There are thousands of roads I won't take my VFR down that I'll happily saddle up the KLR for. Having one opens up a lot of the country I wouldn't see from the viffer.

I voted no. I started riding in March and my 1st bike was an '01 Kawi ZR-7S (750cc carb'd naked bike). Not an ideal 1st bike, but not a rocket either. Lighter than the VFR, good handling, fairly cheap to buy, insure and repair. Upgraded to my VFR in August.

I would really recommend an older, less powerful bike for your 1st. Nakeds are much more forgiving of the inevitable drops that occur, plus if you buy an older bike your heart won't be breaking if and when you drop it or worse.

HP/engine cc's, well, that's really subjective. I didn't feel like I was going to kill myself on my Kawi this spring and summer, but the VFR is so much more powerful. The modern engine and fuel injection make a HUGE difference. I recommend you stick with something carb'd and under 600cc, but regardless of what you buy for a 1st bike, please practice a lot of self-control. It's a lot easier to get in over your head on a bike than in a car.

It sounds like you're pretty level-headed. Just the fact you're considering a VFR for a 1st bike says you're likely not a squid. As for others' suggestions of MSF course, gear, practicing manuevers, etc...YEAH! Absolutely. I still wouldn't recommend the VFR for a 1st bike, at least not a 5th or 6th gen. But good luck with whatever you decide to do!

WOW, great thread. My first bike was a 1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600, Black and red. I bought it 6 months old from a girl I worked with in 1989 with less than 100 miles on it for $900. She paid about 4K for it. I had no training or a clue how to ride. After a 15 minute lesson I was off.

That said I dropped that poor bike a half dozen times.....mostly in my driveway. The bike met it's final day while I was riding in Boston (STUPID IDEA) hit by a driver running a stop sign. If had been properly trained I wouldn't have been thinking 'Oh....he sees me"

Anyway, Love the VFR, I would hate to see it get the abuse I gave that Ninja........you need a beater bike for at least one season and like many others have said take a course. I finally took one 2 years ago and I can't believe I surived out there for 15 years without the knowledge I obtained.

keep the rubber side down!

• Member Contributer

It's easier to learn on a smaller lighter bike. I started off on a 96 Honda Rebel. Then next season I was on a 97 Duc M900. The following season till present...my 03 VFR.

• 2 months later...
It's easier to learn on a smaller lighter bike. I started off on a 96 Honda Rebel. Then next season I was on a 97 Duc M900. The following season till present...my 03 VFR.

For a first bike... I'd would recommend you go for a smaller/lighter/slower cycle.... get some time/miles under your belt etc. The VFR is a great bike but could be a bit too much for a 1rst cycle. :salesman:

• Member Contributer

i voted yes just because of my situation. I'm 6'2" 220 95% of those smaller bikes would just be uncomfortable and no one wants to ride a bike if it's uncomfortable it would ruin it. i have ridden dirt bikes when i was younger and driven manuals. I'm 20 and as teleskier said

The bike is really not the problem. All bikes can and will get you into trouble. Its the rider. Their mentality and knowledge of their limits. Again, just my 2 cents.
is true i have never gone past my or the bikes limits i went to them once and never went back. once you find your limit don't exceed it.

I'd never recommend any new bike as a new bike. You know it's more likely to go over in the first year... and do you really want to cry over the damage? Buy used, get used to the feel of riding, then get a new bike the next year. Chances are you'll still dump it eventually :o but......

If you haven't learned to ride the wheels off a small bike, how are you going to do it on a big bike?

Ok, that's a bit simplistic, but as a graduate of the school of corner speed (aka the small bike school) I can confidently say that 12 months on a 250 most definitely contributed to my near god-like abilities on a big bike :goofy: No, that's not what I meant to say...

Regardless of the dangers inherent in riding a powerful bike (which a VFR is, nevermind that its sub-1000cc), you also don't want the heartache and hip pocket damage that comes with dropping a VFR. Which you will do.

For your size and age, the SV650 is a logical choice, it's light, naked and has decent power without being silly.

• Member Contributer
I voted no. There are two types of riders; those that have dropped their bike and those that will drop their bike. Plastic isn't cheap. For a first bike I would recommend something in the 500cc range or lower and preferably naked. The beauty of these threads is that people ask for opinions and get them. Then they go do the exact opposite and usually within six weeks post that they have dropped their bike and want to know where to buy cheap plastic.

:lurk:

Nicely said!

:offtopic: So, you're a Predators' Fan, and my question is: How manly does it feel having your team playing in the Gaylord Entertainment Center!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

A hockey fan is a good guy in my book. See you in the playoffs!

• Member Contributer

No

First Bike = Used, 500cc or less, No Plastic to break

New Rider = MSF, Full Gear, 1 year riding before upgrading

P.S. It amazes me in how many GSXRs I see with less than 500 miles that are... (1) For Sale (2) Totaled

• 1 year later...

Everybody has an opinion, mine is that everyone should learn to ride in the DIRT, skill and scars BOTH will develop most quickly in this environment!

While the rider is more important than the bike, ease of operation is a HUGE factor in selection. I had 37 years of riding and thousands of miles riding experience on all kinds of bikes in all kinds of weather and surfaces when I got my new VFR. One week later I had a near driveway drop! (Thanks to Sebspeed for the save) The static balance of the VFR was much different than my older VF's. It could have been a very pricey oops!

For a never ever been on a bike learner, a naked bike is the way to go and smaller is better. I gave a 83 650 Nighthawk to my girlfriend when she wanted to learn. I really wished she could have started on a 250 but I didn't have any in my garage. It was big enough for the highway but light, handled easily and hard to do real damage to. She took the MSF course and yes, I have a collection of bent clutch lever coat hangers from her many drops of the bike. She is now on a 83 VF750F, which is another good top of the heap learner bike. It can do anything you want it to, except keep up with a 600RR.....but then neither can my VFR800. Choose smartly. You can always get another bike and not have to worry, since bikes don't care how many other bikes you have or ride, unlike some other things like gir............ :cool: There I go getting myself in trouble again. :cool:

Curious to see what was purchased? It has a while since the original poll?

Just before taking the MSF, I purchased a 1976 CJ360T, which had at the time a whopping 34HP, and factor 1HP loss / year, means I was running 1 HP.... err.... something like that. I still ride that bike today, its fun.

Now I have an '83 VF750F, and it is night and day different from the CJ. The only similarity is they both have 2 wheels and carbs.

So what did you decide?

• Member Contributer

As wonderful as the VFR is I think it's a bit powerful and a lot heavy at low speeds. I wouldn't say absolutely no but if you have no motorcycle/dirt bike experience it might be better to start with something like

Ninja 250, 500 or even 650 for a bigger guy, Suzuki GS500-650 or the like.

My first real street bike was a 1983 Honda CM450E and it seemed pretty powerful and heavy compared to my previous motorcycle experiences. Honda Trail 50, Honda Spree 50 scooter and Honda Elite 150 Scooter.

• Member Contributer

My 08 is the first bike that I have ever owned but it’s not the first that I ever rode. I think that the VFR has the best of both worlds. A little mix of power when needed and a little mix of cruiser when needed. If you have common sense and you take it easy until you feel comfortable, you will be all right. Don't go immediately into taking the twisties without getting accustomed to the V-Tec kick unless you've already got some riding experience. Would I recommend buying one as your first bike? I say what are you waiting for? Be sure to get the ABS version. It will pay off and save your AXX. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

It has all been said before but I will add my .02. The VFR is heavy, powerful and somewhat tall. This coupled with the expense of dropping it makes me lean hard toward a smaller ( i.e. Cheaper) bike. My first bike was a V30 magna and it was a good place to start. If you choose to get the VFR take it real easy at first. You are more likely to drop it at low speed just moving it around in my experience. Once underway the heft of the bike kind of disappears. Good Luck.

Archived