First Bike Poll

Guest avvetteguy

VFR as 1st Bike  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend the new 2007 VFR as a first bike?

• Yes
    • No

Guest avvetteguy

I'm curious to see what the reaction is to getting a 2007 as a first bike assuming that $ isnt the driving factor. Im more curious from being able to handle the bike as a first bike.

I'm curious to see what the reaction is to getting a 2007 as a first bike assuming that $ isnt the driving factor. Im more curious from being able to handle the bike as a first bike.
i see 1 person voted yes and i love to see who did that?

im still a noob to riding with 8 months under my belt but ive owned my 04 vfr for 3.

way too much power for a noob.

throttle is way to twitchy that even experianced riders do complain.

mix that with the power it will get a noob into deadly territory fast.

i rode dirt bikes most my younger years and im 36 now but even tho i started riding recently i was even advised my

learning bike an 89 600 ninja may be too much power.and it very well could have been also had it been running 100% perfect those first few 1000 miles.

its stock at 78HP.

even now with my 8k miles under my belt even my old ninja can get me in trouble fast if im not carefull.

my vfr still hasnt seen full throttle in any gear,nor been over 9k rpms.

my experiance just isnt there yet.

my only saving grace of being somewhat of a noob on a vfr has been age and self control.

but i would never have started on the vfr.

if i did wreck it and total the ninja id be out $1500

wreck a new vfr and its $10-$11k

and you dnt even wanna see how much new plastic costs.

get a early 90's non supersport.

• Member Contributer

Because I don't know you personally, I answered no to be safe.

We went through this a lot in a thread last week. The simple result is it all depends on you and how well you know yourself and your limitations.

As a new rider, I rode several bikes that were way too much for me, the most extreme being a Ninja ZX-12. I did fine, of course, but it scared the crap out of me to take curves at much above an idle, because I knew it wanted to buck me. I think being scared to some level is good at first! Some people don't have this innate fear and respect, and it's those that worry me. My wife is included in that group.

We don't know your age, motorcycle experience, height and fitness level whether or not you know how to drive a manual tranny or not, and other things.

IMO, before someone rides a bike, handling a manual tranny should be second nature. It's just one more thing you don't want to have to worry about. Do you have that checked off?

A smaller, lighter, less powerful first bike will be a better move and you'll learn to like motorcycling more quickly. Also, take the MSF course if you don't have any motorcycling experience. It's a great way to spend only $150 to learn how to ride and understand if you'll truly enjoy the sport. Then, go out a buy a used 500cc or 650cc single/twin sport/standard bike like a Ninja EX500 or a SV650. I'd recommend the EX500 as it's not as powerful as the SV. This way when you drop it (and you will, even if it's just the parking lot), it won't be a huge expense to fix as mentioned in previous replies. Give yourself a few years riding experience, then pick up a 600cc+ supersport/sport tourer like the CBR or VFR... my $0.02

Good luck in motorcycling and welcome to the club in advance... once you get on, you'll never want off...

We don't know your age, motorcycle experience, height and fitness level whether or not you know how to drive a manual tranny or not, and other things.

I am not very experienced and Im going thru the BRC course at the end of the month. Im 6ft and in good shape (played college football) so I dont think the weight of the bike will be an issue. I am confortbale on the manual tranny so I can mark that off.

I voted no. There are two types of riders; those that have dropped their bike and those that will drop their bike. Plastic isn't cheap. For a first bike I would recommend something in the 500cc range or lower and preferably naked. The beauty of these threads is that people ask for opinions and get them. Then they go do the exact opposite and usually within six weeks post that they have dropped their bike and want to know where to buy cheap plastic.

:biggrin:

• Member Contributer

It isn't the weight of the bike, it is the power and power delivery. The VFR is quite balanced for 550 lbs, but with the FI the throttle is quite twitchy. I strongly suggest getting a smaller bike with carbs to learn throttle control and the basics of street riding. Cost may be no issue to you, but your health and well being are imporant. Don't rush getting into the sport. Start out on a small bike that has slightly less power for a year, then upgrade to the VFR. You will enjoy the VFR much more after being on one of the inferior rides, and being able to ride the VFR as it is intended to be ridden.

• Member Contributer

My '03 VFR was my first (and so far only) bike. Based on my experience and what I know now I would have to say the VFR is not a good first bike. It's too heavy, and may have too much power for most new riders. That plus the twitchy throttle make it a poor choice for a first bike. I would recommend a good used SV 650 or a Ninja 650 as a first bike for someone with little or no experience. They are light, set more upright and provide good handling and enough power to have fun in the twisties.

• Member Contributer

Why don't you get the VFR and buy my bike for sale, or one like it. Ride the small, light, less powerful, cheaper bike for a month at least before going to the VFR, you will be glad you did. Then you can sell the small bike for the same price you paid for it even if you drop it. This would allow you to at least get the very basics down on a bike that is much more forgiving of mistakes.

A smaller, lighter, less powerful first bike will be a better move and you'll learn to like motorcycling more quickly. Also, take the MSF course if you don't have any motorcycling experience. It's a great way to spend only $150 to learn how to ride and understand if you'll truly enjoy the sport. Then, go out a buy a used 500cc or 650cc single/twin sport/standard bike like a Ninja EX500 or a SV650. I'd recommend the EX500 as it's not as powerful as the SV. This way when you drop it (and you will, even if it's just the parking lot), it won't be a huge expense to fix as mentioned in previous replies. Give yourself a few years riding experience, then pick up a 600cc+ supersport/sport tourer like the CBR or VFR... my $0.02

Good luck in motorcycling and welcome to the club in advance... once you get on, you'll never want off...

+ 1

Add the mid 80's interceptor 500 to the above list as well :biggrin: That was my first bike ! Find something cheap to learn on unless you have gobs of money to spend on broken fairings from dropping the bike. Good luck !

• Member Contributer

I voted yes. No bike really is very safe for the inexperienced rider really IMO . It's the cars, ditches, and telephone poles I think that present the biggest hazard. Doesn't matter what kind of bike you have, if you are an idiot and don't respect the bike, don't respect the cars, and don't respect the road, you are going to get hurt. If you are strong enough to push the bike around, pick it up off the ground, and have some common sense then you will probably live, and learn to ride. The VFR doesn't have any more power than any of the 600's, just a bit heavier.

My VFR was virtually my first bike. I had a CX 500 in 1988 for a year before it died. Hadn't had anything else until April 05. Of course I've ridden plenty of dirt bikes and have always had manual transmissions in cars, so that was one less thing to worry about.

• Member Contributer
<snip> Doesn't matter what kind of bike you have, if you are an idiot and don't respect the bike, don't respect the cars, and don't respect the road, you are going to get hurt. If you are strong enough to push the bike around, pick it up off the ground, and have some common sense then you will probably live, and learn to ride.

:smile: Well put!

avvetteguy,

Can you wait until you take the course and see how you feel? It's only another few days away, right? There's a (very remote) chance you won't like motorcycling. Assuming you love it like most do, then make your purchase. After the course, you'll have one data point to reference, with one or many more to go in the future. I remember last week, you said maybe you shoudl wait. It sounds like you have the two-wheeled bug. :biggrin:

For now, you are asking if the VFR is a good first bike. The other question you haven't asked yet, is of the VFR is the right bike for you, meaning for your style of riding. The VFR could be a fine first bike for anyone, depending on the person. Whether or not it's the right bike for you is a thing that takes some individuals one try, and others many tries. That could get expensive! Just ask phantomx about his Bike of the Month habit.:biggrin:

Like I said last week, the fact that you are asking this question early on is a good indication that you'll do fine mentally on whatever you ride. You have the physical stuff covered already, unless your football time was long ago. (My stepdad played ball in college, and he can hardly walk well now, so riding is kind of out of the question for him!)

If you didn't have any common sense, you would be riding a 'Busa without a helmet or any other safety gear, as someone special to the American football world did this Summer. :biggrin: (I can't believe I got to bring Big Ben up as a poor example again.)

• Member Contributer

PERFECT answer right here... All of it - very good advice.. Although I never dropped my first bike - I waited until I bought my brand new VFR and dropped it a week later... :mellow: I took the MSF before I even thought about riding a bike. I wanted to see if I liked it before I spent the cash. I would suggest the same to anyone.

it's really hard to answer this common question without knowing the person asking, so to be safe most are going to answer "no." we all know someone who got a bigger bike than they should have and ended up paying some kind of price for that mistake - but it's no guarantee that you'll end up the same way.

one trend i've seen is people tend to get better faster with smaller, lighter bikes. remember that in most parts of the world, a 250cc bike is on the larger end (how often do you need to go faster than 120 mph, anyway?)

learning proper body position, throttle control, and lean angle is easier with a light, low-power bike. you can learn all these things on a new VFR, but in 9 out of 10 cases, you'll learn slower.

i highly recommend a mid-early 90's reliable 600cc bike, if you don't want a 250. F2's and F3's are pretty bulletproof, not super twitchy, and put out more power than even experienced riders (on the stret) know what to do with. Plus, WHEN you drop it, they make good looking streetfighers (something i can't say about VFRs)

Go smaller for a first bike. Ninja 500R, 650R, or even the Ninja 250 is best for a first bike. I recommend Kawasaki over the other brands because they are cheaper than the Suzuki or Honda "First" bikes. I have no clue about what Yamaha has.

• Member Contributer

I was gonna say "No" but it totally depends on the person who will be riding it. My first real street bike was a brand new 1983 VF750F. As far bikes go the V-4 Hondas are more capable than the vast majority of those that pilot them. The bike CAN BE a great learning partner because you have be completely divorced from the seat of your pants to do something stupid enough to upset the very forgiving chassis. And yet as you get better the bike just keeps surprising you with it's ability.

The linked brakes are definately a benefit to a low mileage rider. Emergency stopping and evasive manuevers should be practiced frequently and teh linked brakes make this pretty easy to do.

I do acknowledge the throttle of any FI'd bike is not the easiest to learn parking lot manuevers on but you could spend the same money and purchase a much poorer first bike.

That being said, buy something used around 500cc and get into an apporved safety course. Take your license test with it and then get a new VFR as soon as you are comfortable.

:biggrin: where is the change from my $.02?

• Member Contributer

The only thing I can disagree to is to NOT purchase a 250 for your first bike. I think it's too small and that you'll outgrow it very quickly. For your first bike, go with something that will make you fall in love with riding. It might not necessarily be your first choice of bike, but it will help you build your confidence in yourself and riding. The SV is an excellent first bike. Even though it wasn't my first bike, I consider it to be. (My first bike was an FZR600 that spent more time sitting.) My old SV really helped me find the rider in myself. Even though I loved riding, that bike helped me fall "in love" with riding. If you get a bike that's too big, too difficult to learn on, or too uncomfortable, you'll get frustrated and find yourself migrating away from the sport. :biggrin:

Look at it this way, as a new driver you wouldn't go out and learn on the Ferrari. Get yourself something good, clean, reliable, etc. Learn on that. (If you loose footing and drop it you won't do as much damage. A naked bike will be easier to familiarize yourself with the mechanics and change the oil. And, you might be able to find some good used parts for a bike that's a few years old.) Then when you are ready, go for something a little bigger, little nicer, little more expensive, etc. :biggrin:

Finally, use your head. Ride within your comfort level and don't show off or ride out of your comfort zone for sake of keeping up. Take the MSF class and continually practice what they teach you. The bike might seem to have all the throttle in the world, but that doesn't mean you have to use it!

Good luck! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Not "MY" idea of a "First, first" bike. Absolute total motorcycle inexperience and a VFR doesn't seem very compatible to me...........then again my first 3 bikes in a 5 week period were a Honda Super 90, Chopped 650 Triumph Bonneville, Chopped, rigid, 18" extended springer Panhead Harley.............HMMmmmmm, I survived, maybe I'm all wrong on this............... :unsure:

Of course not! Too heavy and poweful for a novice! They can get themselves into sufficient trouble with a quick 250 twin 4-stroke if they aren't tuned in.

For those who think a 250 is too small, I put over 25,000 kms on my 1980 CB250T (27hp) in just under 12 months which included a 4 week touring period covering about 8500 kms. A well kept VT250 or VTR250 (35-40 hp) should be plenty sufficient for a novice for the first 12 months unless they are able to get a lot of track experience fast.

• Member Contributer
Of course not! Too heavy and poweful for a novice! They can get themselves into sufficient trouble with a quick 250 twin 4-stroke if they aren't tuned in.

For those who think a 250 is too small, I put over 25,000 kms on my 1980 CB250T (27hp) in just under 12 months which included a 4 week touring period covering about 8500 kms. A well kept VT250 or VTR250 (35-40 hp) should be plenty sufficient for a novice for the first 12 months unless they are able to get a lot of track experience fast.

This is a big cultural difference between the US and the rest of the riding world. I agree with you 100%, but a "little" bike isn't "cool" here, unfortunately. It's a pride and manhood thing. We also don't wear Speedo bathing suits here for the same reason. :biggrin:

Many, including myself, learned to ride on a 600 supersport bike, because the popular belief is that they are small and safe enough for a novice. Having lived through that with several pants-filler moments, I know I would be a better rider now, had I started out on a smaller bike. One of my friends that got me started riding tried to sell me a Kawi ZRX 1100 as my first bike, as opposed to the CBR 600, because of the smoother powerband!

Why don't you get the VFR and buy my bike for sale, or one like it. Ride the small, light, less powerful, cheaper bike for a month at least before going to the VFR, you will be glad you did. Then you can sell the small bike for the same price you paid for it even if you drop it. This would allow you to at least get the very basics down on a bike that is much more forgiving of mistakes.

Yep, I agree that buying a bike like Jeremy's is a better way to start off....a good 500cc bike is the middle of the road, not too powerful, usually alot lighter in weight, etc.

Get familiar with riding then buy the big boy VFR :biggrin:

jeremy, if you are not in sales, you need to be. you are persistent and consistent....two great characteristics for salesmen... :biggrin: :pissed:

ok, i want to change my yes to no vote. i keep thinking a VFR WAS my first bike. i forget i road a cruiser for almost a year.

while riding a cruiser is NOTHING like riding a VFR, i guess it does still count as a motorcycle :biggrin:

thinking back, the lack of power or braking ability, sluggishness, poor tires, bad shocks, etc. all taught me to ride slowly, be cautious and didn't allow me to get out of control with a quick throttle.

all of these things were fixed by the VFR of course and have given mc riding an entirely new perspective. yes I like my cruiser, but I LOVE my VFR, but no, the VFR probably isn't the best first bike....

• Member Contributer

Not knowing you I would say, I don’t know you.

But saying that I really am not one to talk, I started out on a 2001 Hayabusa. I went and bought it on a whim with a friend of mine who also bought one. Was it a mistake, I'm still here and in four years never went down or dropped it. This is why I'm still alive:

1. MSF course

2. Safety gear (ALLWAYS)

3. Practice

When I say practice I mean that I road around an empty parking lot that was across the street from my apartment for about one month solid in the very early morning for 2-3 every day at very slow speeds, 45mph or less. Just trying to get my hand eye foot coordination to a science. Braking, braking, braking, slow turns you name it figure eights, circles, start and stops & parking it. I wouldn’t even drive it to a gas station (deal with the wife, to much traffic) I would say I spent a solid month cursing the parking lot. Then when I felt somewhat okay my dad came over to my house and drove it to his house. Then it started all over again, on somewhat deserted suburb roads out at and around his house. With my dad and a good friend of his who teaches the MSF course they took me out when ever they could and shadow me and critique all summer and yes I went to the gas station finally. I’m also one of those people who don’t need to compete with others when I drive.

• Member Contributer

What kind of bike you initially learn on is more important than what you own as your first bike. I learned to ride on a cb350, and quickly moved on to a kz750. Learning the controls and basic riding techniques on a low power, lightweight machine is ideal. Moving on to a larger and faster bike is only a problem for an irresponsible person.

Archived