Another Frankenviffer

Guest DonnyBallGame

Guest DonnyBallGame
This is definately not good news. Have you tried to contact Cycle Cat and see who they go through? I know that there are companies out there that do this. Another route would be to measure the length of the choke cable and see what else is out there. Speedzilla is a good resource that I use occasionally. I'll do some research as well, and hopefully one of us will come up with a solution. I suppose another option would be to call some dealers in your area and see if they know anything. There aren't too many english speakingdealers where i'm at currently, unfortunately.

I will get on the horn to my local dealer tomorrow. Contacting Cycle Cat is also an option worth trying. I will do both tomorrow and post the results.

I know MotionPro sells cable in a wide assortment of sizes and lenghts so this may be another option. I treid to find the link that I had for a company that I knew of that did cable lenghtening, but I can't seem to find it. Are the throttle cables long enough? It seems (logically thinking) that if the choke cable is too short that the throttle cables may be as well. I e-mail Chris from Cycle Cat, and will check my e-mail when I get home. I'll let you know what I find out.

Ok, this is what I got back from Cycle Cat.....

Doug,

The kit you ordered was a custom kit for a VFR I believe. There are no

cables or lines included in this kit. We recommend Speigler. Please let

me

know if there is anything more we can do for you.

Chris Calovini

Director of Business Development

Moto Millennia division, Havensmark, LLC

ph: 614.577.8080 x 102

fax: 614.577.8088

email:chris@motomillennia.com

Not too sure if you ordered a custom kit or not. I did. I'm going to look into Speigler.

Guest DonnyBallGame

I contacted Motion Pro. They sent me the necessary form to get a cable lengthened. Just send them the original, and tell them how long you want it, and they will make it. $30 bucks a cable. I also talked to my Honda dealer and He told me I could come down and look through the inventory. I think I am going to send mine off to Motion Pro. I will check on the trhottle cables also.

Guest DonnyBallGame

After a closer look, the throttle cables are a little snug as well. I am going to look into this idea a little more. There is some left over bar to the iside on the clutch and brake resivoirs. Almost .75 to 1 inch. I am going to slide them in as far as possible and redrill the holes in the tube for the switch boxes. That may give me enough not to need the extended cables.

I really need to get some pics post for you Doug. I will try to get some soon. Sorry :goofy:

Guest DonnyBallGame

OK, so my first observation with the resevoirs slid all the way in. Looks like that is what the doctor ordered. Bad news is, the brakelines and clutch line run into the top triple tree. Time to get some Russell or Goodridge custom ends and made some lines. I was not happy with the twists in my Galfers anyway.

Fun, innit? :goofy:

No recent updates from me/mine because the spacers I had made for the R1 hardware are proving difficult to fit - more in my own topic when I get around to it...

Guest DonnyBallGame
Fun, innit? :goofy:

It is a hoot. Assemble, Disassemble, Assemble, Think you got it right, take it apart again. Tenacity and patience really pay off here.

Tenacity and patience really pay off here.

And planning... I had my axle spacers made without stopping to think about which side of the original spacers the custom ones had to go... they will work, but it's not as 'perfect' as I'd like it. Pics will show what I mean.

OK, so my first observation with the resevoirs slid all the way in. Looks like that is what the doctor ordered. Bad news is, the brakelines and clutch line run into the top triple tree. Time to get some Russell or Goodridge custom ends and made some lines. I was not happy with the twists in my Galfers anyway.

Pics would definately be a plus. I just installed the Galfer lines on my front forks. No custom ends there. Hopefully we can find a work around on this. I'm still waiting for my packages from my parent's house. They just sent them yesterday supposedly. I'm already tired of waiting to put my bike together. It's been rather nice here lately, and I'm dying to ride!!!!

Guest DonnyBallGame

OK, the thread is getting long. I am going to do a brief recap and update my Parts Used list.

Frankenviffer's Checklist:

1. Forks

c. R1

2. Wheels

These are various five or six-spoke front wheels that are a good cosmetic match for the OEM rear wheels

a. OEM

3. Wheel bearings

a. OEM

4. Wheel spacers

b. Left outer: Custom, ordered from www.misumi.com

c. Right outer: Custom, ordered from www.misumi.com

5. Rotors

a. OEM

6. Calipers

f. Yamaha R1/R6/FZ-1/Warrior

7. Front Brake Master cylinders

a. Honda CBR600F4 (front)

8. Rear Brake Master cylinders

a. OEM

9. Lower triple clamps

b. CBR929/954

10. Upper triple clamps

b. Vortex / '00-'01 RC51

I used this to get the clip-ons as high as possible so the clip-ons do not interfere with the instrument cluster. I do noe like the looks of the 929 Top Clamp with a spacer under it.

11. Steering head bearings

Tapered bearing kit from Allballs Racing

12. Clip ons

Cycle Cat: Suzuki Hayabusa

Altered: Needed to shorten the tubes and redrill the holes for the control boxes. Moved everything in by .750 inches.

Also, because of tight clearance issues, the brake lines and clutch line needed to be re routed, via Goodridge Custom ends from Dennis Kirk. I used the ones where you get to pick which end you want, them attach the correct length line.

13. Front Axle

Custom made. A turned down R1 axle was too scary for me. My axle is now solid Stainless Steel

14. Brake Lines

Goodridge custom length lines.

36" on the clutch, 90° banjo fitting at the top, 25° banjo fitting at the bottom.

28" on the left brake caliper, 90° banjo fitting at the top, 15° side angle banjo fitting at the bottom.

25" on the right brake caliper, 45° banjo fitting at the top, 15° side angle banjo fitting at the bottom.

These are a little spendy, but they are the right length and have no kinks to deal with. Figure $12 per banjo and $32 per line. Don't forget new crush washers either.

I am going outside now to take some pictures. Wish me luck.

Edited by DonnyBallGame

Guest DonnyBallGame

First the front axle

t_IMGP0776m_67add95.jpg

GONE TO LUNCH be back in 4hrs.

Right Spacer

t_IMGP0780m_7c96ec2.jpg

Left Spacer

t_IMGP0781m_01b77e4.jpg

Clearance Views and Lines (note the positions of the hose ends. They need to miss the fork tubes and instrument cluster.

Pics taken at full left and right steering.

t_IMGP0771m_a5e5529.jpg

t_IMGP0772m_3dcc5a1.jpg

t_IMGP0773m_2556001.jpg

t_IMGP0774m_4ff78bb.jpg

t_IMGP0775m_4b25ef1.jpg

t_IMGP0777m_1aa22af.jpg

Curved Oil cooler and Inner Fairing Clearance Notches

t_IMGP0778m_fec1058.jpg

t_IMGP0779m_7d5b75d.jpg

That is it for now. Hope they help. More when I get it all buttoned up.

Edited by DonnyBallGame

• Member Contributer
Ok, this is what I got back from Cycle Cat.....

We recommend Speigler.

Ahh... a true connaisseur of the motorcycle trade......

Shall we make that Spiegler? :blink:

Ok, when you get back from lunch, will the pics show your unique items, such as your 4mm spacer under the vortex top triple clamp? I'm really curious so see the details of the brake and clutch lines. Why did you need to shorten the tubes? Hopefully my parts will be in this week, and I can put mine back together. I'm using the master cylinder from the 954 as well, so we'll see how mine differs from your CBR 600 F4 master cylinder. I'm really looking foward to comparing notes with you and Phantom, when i'm done of course. And again, many thanks to you guys, as this is not something that I would have tackled w/o the knowledge of the ppl on this website!!!

Guest DonnyBallGame
Ok, when you get back from lunch, will the pics show your unique items, such as your 4mm spacer under the vortex top triple clamp? I'm really curious so see the details of the brake and clutch lines. Why did you need to shorten the tubes? Hopefully my parts will be in this week, and I can put mine back together. I'm using the master cylinder from the 954 as well, so we'll see how mine differs from your CBR 600 F4 master cylinder. I'm really looking foward to comparing notes with you and Phantom, when i'm done of course. And again, many thanks to you guys, as this is not something that I would have tackled w/o the knowledge of the ppl on this website!!!

I will get pictures of the RC51 Top Clamp as soon as I recieve it. I will do a fitup to see if it will work like I want it to and post the results. It should be here this next week. If it works, it will come off again and get powder coated.

I needed to shorten the tubes because the throttle cables and choke cable would have been too short. There is plenty of room left to shorten them. I took .75 off mine.

So I'm sitting here looking at the pics of your mods so far. Looks pretty good if you ask me. How much did the custom brake lines cost? I just installed the new Galfer lines on my front end last weekend, and am just waiting for the remainder of the parts to come in before I finish up. I'm guessing you removed the material from the tubes from the inside ends, as the bar end weight still needs a hole that has been tapped.

Guest DonnyBallGame
So I'm sitting here looking at the pics of your mods so far. Looks pretty good if you ask me. How much did the custom brake lines cost? I just installed the new Galfer lines on my front end last weekend, and am just waiting for the remainder of the parts to come in before I finish up. I'm guessing you removed the material from the tubes from the inside ends, as the bar end weight still needs a hole that has been tapped.

The custom lines are going to cost in the neighborhood of another $160. The big benefit is roting them where I want and they will be kink free. I did remove the material from the outside end of the tubes. There is a machined feature to the inside that makes this difficult to do on the inside. The tubes also come hollow. We need to figure out what we are going to do about bar-ends. :thumbsup:

If you have a tap and die set, perhaps you could use the stock bar ends from your old tubes??? I have such a kit, and may look into doing that. Not too sure if you've seen this website, this guy is one of the first to start this mod I believe. Not too sure how he was able to use the brakes lines that he did, unless the bar risers had more than a 2.5 inch rise. I think the best pic that illustrates is the 8th pic, the cockpit view. I enjoy tinkering, but I'm getting tired of watching other ppl ride. It's alomst 55 degrees, and quite sunny here in Germany today, and if my baby were servicable, I'd be on her. I sure hope all this is worth it..........

http://www.hiperform.com/vfr_project.htm

Glad to see you guys both progressing, wish I could say the same - kids have been sick, wife has been sick, still gotta go to work... there's not a lot of motivation to get out to the garage, till I log on here and see what you're up to : )

DBG your front end (first pic) looks fantastic - most of the Frankenviffers don't look all that remarkable after the swap, until you look closely. Not yours - that front end and guard leap out at you like, well, an NR front end would do. Think it's the shiny hardware against the black wheel and guard combo. Very very nice! The $ spent on the guard were well worth it.