Another Frankenviffer

Guest DonnyBallGame

Guest DonnyBallGame

My boy has just started in the Cub Scouts. It is a junior version of the Boy Scout of America. The cars are built for the yearly Pinewood Derby Car race. Each car is built from the same kit. They all start out as a rectagular chunk of wood. It is up to the kids to do as much work as they can on them to get them ready to compete. It is like a miniture Soupbox Derby race.

Cool, I was a Cub then a Scout, but we didn't have this over here.

Never too late to have a happy childhood Murray! :thumbsup:

http://www.pinewoodpro.com/

The cub scouts race the cars on a regulation length track, they are propelled by gravity alone.

The cars have to be a certain size and weight, but the design is up to you!

Thanks for the link. There are quite a few now, and I get quite sidetracked, and forget what I was originally looking for. From that link it looks like there is a 1-2 cm bend in the oil cooler. Sound about right? Thanks again!!!

"As far as "How to Bend" the oil cooler. I relied on Swiifers thread. Look at the link below.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10129"

Edited by douglasthecook

Guest DonnyBallGame
Thanks for the link. There are quite a few now, and I get quite sidetracked, and forget what I was originally looking for. From that link it looks like there is a 1-2 cm bend in the oil cooler. Sound about right? Thanks again!!!

Yah, 2cm is about right.

I got my front wheel spacers installed last night. My front fender should be on its way next week. So it will probably be after the fender install when I post pics. The spacers really aren't that special. Now the fender is another story. The bike is now standing on it's own two feet again. I can't wait to get my clip-ons and go for a ride.

Cool, definately looking foward to the pics of your completed project!!! What clip-ons did you go with? It looks like I'm going to shell out the $$$ for the Cycle Cats, as I keep missing the stock 929 clip-ons that show up on Ebay. Hopefully next week I'll be ordering all the parts that I need to finish mine up.

Guest DonnyBallGame
Cool, definately looking foward to the pics of your completed project!!! What clip-ons did you go with? It looks like I'm going to shell out the $$$ for the Cycle Cats, as I keep missing the stock 929 clip-ons that show up on Ebay. Hopefully next week I'll be ordering all the parts that I need to finish mine up.

Douglasthecook,

Just so you know. I ordered my wheel spacers from www.misumi.com. They are a custom order collar. You get a choice of material. I ordered Clear Anodized Aluminum. Both side cost me 30 bucks and waited 12 days. I don't know which forks you are using, but hope it helps.

I have 954 forks, and front wheel. I'm going to order a complete set of SS Braided lines, as well as wave rotors. When I ordered the wheel, it didn't come w/rotors. Figured that since I need to get some anyway, might as well get wave rotors. I can't remember if I have the stock wheel spacers or not. If not, I was going to order some from ronayers.com, as I need to order the rotor bolts, and the front fender hardware as well. I might look your place up though. It's always nice to have options! Thanks for the info!!!

Douglasthecook,

Just so you know. I ordered my wheel spacers from www.misumi.com. They are a custom order collar. You get a choice of material. I ordered Clear Anodized Aluminum. Both side cost me 30 bucks and waited 12 days. I don't know which forks you are using, but hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DonnyBallGame

Well, I just did a fit up with my newly received Cycle Cat CBR929 risers. Not good results. They hit the instrument cluster when you turn the steering. I am going to give Cycle Cat a call on monday to see if I can trade them for a set intended for the 'busa. With the experience I now have, the ones for the 'busa should work just find. I will let you all know more when I know more. :thumbsup:

Ok, so how far off was the rise? I just dropped my front forks tonight. I was going to order the Cycle cats for the 954 as well, if I remember right, they had a 2.5 inch rise? How much of a rise do the ones for the 'Busa have? Did it seem that your brake, clutch, and choke cables were long enough? Ok, I think I've asked you enough ?'s for now. I am quite curious to how your transplant is going to work out, as I'm at the parts ordering stage now, and have no front forks on my VFR. If you have any pointers, or know of any parts that I should order that I might not have though of, I'd like to hear them!!!

Guest DonnyBallGame
Ok, so how far off was the rise? I just dropped my front forks tonight. I was going to order the Cycle cats for the 954 as well, if I remember right, they had a 2.5 inch rise? How much of a rise do the ones for the 'Busa have? Did it seem that your brake, clutch, and choke cables were long enough? Ok, I think I've asked you enough ?'s for now. I am quite curious to how your transplant is going to work out, as I'm at the parts ordering stage now, and have no front forks on my VFR. If you have any pointers, or know of any parts that I should order that I might not have though of, I'd like to hear them!!!

Well, I now have time to get a little more indepth. The 929/954 riser from Cycle Cat has enough rise for my liking. The cables and wires are all long enough. The issue is, the Cycle Cat risers for the 929 also move the controls forward on the bike about one inch. That makes the brake and clutch resevoirs hit the instruments. Height wise, everything clears the fairing below the windshield. I almost ordered the 'Busa kit, they have the same rise. Guess I should have. Now I get to call and talk to a rep again to see if I can work out a trade.

I may also look at puttting a RC51 Top Clamp on. Not sure yet if I want to do this or not. I 19mm of forks sticking out the top of the 929 Top Clamp. There is not enough there to mount my clip-ons, so i was thinking I would mount the clip-ons under the tree and gain some more adjustment for additional rise. We'll see what happens next week.

Happen to have any pics of the current mock up? What advantage would the 'Busa risers give you if they have the same rise? I was going to order my Cycle Cats tomorrow, but it looks like I'll wait now, to see what you come up with. If I weren't in Germany, I might not wait, and try to do some of this along w/you, to compare notes. However shipping time to Germany is considerable longer than in the States. I have the front brake master cylindar from the 954, is that what you're using? I'm going to keep the stock clutch master cylindar for obvious reasons. Also if I understand you correctly, you can't mount the 954 Cycle Cats on the top of the triple tree due to the lack of availble fork tube protrusion, have you tried to mount them under the triple tree yet to see how they fit? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions, I don't have quite the quick resources available to me as you do.

Edited by douglasthecook

Guest DonnyBallGame
Happen to have any pics of the current mock up? What advantage would the 'Busa risers give you if they have the same rise? I was going to order my Cycle Cats tomorrow, but it looks like I'll wait now, to see what you come up with. If I weren't in Germany, I might not wait, and try to do some of this along w/you, to compare notes. However shipping time to Germany is considerable longer than in the States. I have the front brake master cylindar from the 954, is that what you're using? I'm going to keep the stock clutch master cylindar for obvious reasons. Also if I understand you correctly, you can't mount the 954 Cycle Cats on the top of the triple tree due to the lack of availble fork tube protrusion, have you tried to mount them under the triple tree yet to see how they fit? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions, I don't have quite the quick resources available to me as you do.

Sorry for the lack of pictures. I do not have any. I am also using the OE Clutch Reservoir. I wanted the Brake Master to match also, so I am using one from a CBR600 F4.

The 'Busa kit is more of an "Inline" setup. Currently, the 954 kit is offset forward. Meaning the tube that the grip is on, is forward of the fork tube. The 'Busa kit brings the the Grip Tube and Fork Tube inline with each other. If you go to www.cyclecat.com, you will be able to see what I am talking about.

I did do my final mock up with the risers mounted on the bottom side of my top clamp. With them mounted on the top side, things were too tall and hitting the fairing below the windshield. Also, the clamping area on the risers themselves is 25mm, so, like you stated, I was short on room to do it right.

I don't mind answering so many questions. I like to help when I can. :thumbsup: :unsure:

Ok, so there weren't any rise problems, just foward orientation problems? Thanks for you're help, it's defiantely nice to have some assistance with this. I went to the cyclecat website, and saw what you meant. Other than that, there weren't any problems with the clip-ons? And what size o rise did you go for? It looks like the 954 clip-ons have a 1.5 inch rise, and the 929 clip-ons have a 2.5 inch rise. I'll look at the 'Busa clip-ons again, and see what they have. Thanks again!!!

Edited by douglasthecook

Guest DonnyBallGame
Ok, so there weren't any rise problems, just foward orientation problems? Thanks for you're help, it's defiantely nice to have some assistance with this. I went to the cyclecat website, and saw what you meant. Other than that, there weren't any problems with the clip-ons?

No other problems. Great high quality stuff.

Ok, so the 'Busa clip-ons have a 2.5 inch rise, but come with new brake lines, and a coupon for getting your throttle cables extended, but this is not required as you said that there was plenty of room with the existing clable, and lines. You can look for me on yahoo under the screen name douglasthecook, in case you get tired of answering my ?'s this way, you can always IM me.

Guest DonnyBallGame
Ok, so the 'Busa clip-ons have a 2.5 inch rise, but come with new brake lines, and a coupon for getting your throttle cables extended, but this is not required as you said that there was plenty of room with the existing clable, and lines. You can look for me on yahoo under the screen name douglasthecook, in case you get tired of answering my ?'s this way, you can always IM me.

The lines and cable extending is probably neccesary for the 'busa. I am pretty sure mine and yours are long enough. Quit laughing now.

Edited by DonnyBallGame

You're too kind. Were there any parts for the steering stem that you needed to order?It looks like we can re-use our castlated nuts, but need to get a new retainer for the top nut directly under the top triple tree cover. Were you able to find anything out from Cycle Cat? I have ordered everything with the exception of the clip-ons.

Guest DonnyBallGame
You're too kind. Were there any parts for the steering stem that you needed to order?It looks like we can re-use our castlated nuts, but need to get a new retainer for the top nut directly under the top triple tree cover. Were you able to find anything out from Cycle Cat? I have ordered everything with the exception of the clip-ons.

I was able to reuse all the nuts to hold the steering stem on. I even had to reuse the one to hold on the top clamp. Cycle Cat wanted a 10% restocking fee. So I ordered Just the Billet pieces for the "Busa. They should be here this week. I will post up and take picts as soon as possible. Don't make the same mistake I did by ordering the wrong ones. Now I have an extra set of billets I need to try and sell.

Guest DonnyBallGame
Could you not swap the CycleCat units Left for Right?

Or are there other factors that prevent that?

1) No

2) The way that they are machined and shape really forces them to be used and a left or a right, not either or.

I was able to reuse all the nuts to hold the steering stem on. I even had to reuse the one to hold on the top clamp. Cycle Cat wanted a 10% restocking fee. So I ordered Just the Billet pieces for the "Busa. They should be here this week. I will post up and take picts as soon as possible. Don't make the same mistake I did by ordering the wrong ones. Now I have an extra set of billets I need to try and sell.

Ok. I'll wait until you have you new clip-ons to order mine to see if any compatibility issues arise. I'm sure you'll be able to find a buyer on Ebay for your 954 Clip-ons. Pics will definately be useful. I'm pretty much in a holding pattern now until all my parts come in. Everything is removed and/or accessed, just need the darn parts. Thanks again!

Depending on the outcome of your clip-ons from cycle cat, I might go with these.....

http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?acti...uct&id=2301

http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?acti...uct&id=3047

Granted it'll cost me about $100.00 more than the cycle cats, but it looks like a viable option.

How do I get the rubber grips off of the handle bars? I have everything else removed, but my Clymers manual doesn't say anything about getting the grips off.

Edited by douglasthecook

How do I get the rubber grips off of the handle bars?

Slide a very thin screwdriver between the bar and grip, then squirt some water in there and it will help slide it off (use soapy water if plain water doesn't work).

Another way is to blow compressed air into the gap while pulling.

The throttle grip is harder to get off, but the same techniques usually work.

Hope this helps. I'm also in a holding pattern waiting for some parts for mine...