Back tire stepping out... normal?

ccnaylor

• Member Contributer

Hi everyone, still a little new here. I got my 02 vfr this year. I have yet to put 1,000 miles on it (almost). The previous owner put new Michelin pilot roads on it new last year. They aren't very worn on the edges (not much time on the edge of them).

I take a turn last night, riding around, and not going to fast but I did have it leaned over a good amount, and accelerated out of it. Not wide open, but somewhat moderate. Then the back tire steps out. It was sliding for not even 2 seconds, and I still had control when I regained traction.

So my questions are these:

Did it happen because the tires are still "new" on the edges?

Under normal circumstances (tires, road conditions) should that happen on modest power output through a corner?

Thanks for any information you can give me. (I've been riding for 3 years)

• Member Contributer
Check your tire pressure??

It was what it should be when I last checked it (three weeks ago)

I'll check it tonight. For point of reference, do you think my symptoms show signs of over or under inflation?

• Member Contributer

Check to make sure you are not loosing coolent out your over flow tube, look to see if the end of the tube is dry. David.

Does it do it all the time? or just that one turn? Mine used to do that when I had Dunlops 204, now I have Pilot Powers and they just grab (no more sliding).

• Member Contributer
It was what it should be when I last checked it (three weeks ago)

I'll check it tonight.  For point of reference, do you think my symptoms show signs of over or under inflation?

Actually, either over or under inflation could cause a loss of traction. Over inflate and not enough of the tire will contact the road, under inflate and the tires will overheat and this also can cause loss of traction.

So much can lead to loss of traction. How old are the tires? Was there something in the road you did not notice such as spilled diesel fuel? Maybe you were just riding hard and pushed past the tires ability to hold the road. Suspension settings not ideal for your weight / riding style can also affect traction. If you plan on doing very much spirited riding you might want to consider getting some new tires such as the Pilot Powers or Diablos which provide more traction than a sport touring type tire. Can never have too much traction!

I check the tire pressure before every ride....never know what you might have run over during your last ride that could create a very slow leak. Check them when they are cold.

:thumbsup:

If the tires aren't warmed up they can do that sometimes. I had that happen the first day I owned mine, but it was about 50 degrees and the tires probably hadn't had time to warm up yet.

Mike

• Member Contributer

Everything else previously mentioned could result in slippage but it may just be your initial guess that these tires haven't been run to the edge yet. I always take some sandpaper and scuff up the edges somewhat since this is the area where you'll need the traction the most when pushing the limits.

Did it happen because the tires are still "new" on the edges?

I doubt it, my experience has been that you only need to worry about new tyres in normal cornering for a short distance, then you can get stuck in. Your cornering situation was not extreme enough for the outermost edges to be a factor.

Under normal circumstances (tires, road conditions) should that happen on modest power output through a corner?

No; even under 9/10ths circumstances it would not be normal.

My guess is that you hit something slippery, and probably were lucky it didn't slide out completely, it happens real quick when it does go.

So, check your pressures (a valid point) and if they're ok, forget about it. BTW, three weeks is a long time between pressure checks on a bike, they're different to cars.

Guest Fretka

Just for perspective, I have a 170 Roadtec z-6 which is presumably less sticky than most sport tires and I can turn it blue right to the edge and it still does not come undone, doesn't even ball-up and I ride my '99 hard in the twisties. Don't worry about your tires performance, most probably you just got onto a part of the tire that still had mold release on it or possibly diesel fuel in the road. These bikes are very user friendly right up to the edge with most modern tires. You can rocket out of tight corners and still not induce a slide (unlike the R-1). Don't let it shake your confidence, probably a 1 time occurence.

My guess is that you hit something slippery, and probably were lucky it didn't slide out completely, it happens real quick when it does go.

:squid:

Next time you go through that intersection, watch for a grease spot.

My money is on the surface condition of the road being the culprit. In my neighborhood there is a particular freeway on-ramp that is so sliperey any time of day that even moderate throttle application will spin the back wheel.

Try this test: go back to that exact spot in a car (much easier to deal with a power slide) and floor it through the turn. See how the car reacts compared to other sections of pavement with the same type of turn taken at the same speed and throttle application. My guess is you will find a sliperey section where your bike stepped out.

Hi everyone, still a little new here.  I got my 02 vfr this year.  I have yet to put 1,000 miles on it (almost).  The previous owner put new Michelin pilot roads on it

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Throw the roads away and get Pilot Powers, the improvement when compared to normal Roads is very noticable and due to a high Silica content their wear rate and wet weather traction is also brilliant for a Sports tyre...

As others suggest check your tyres frequently, I do before each ride...some play with pressures, I leave as recommended 36psi Front 42psi Rear.

Pilot Powers plug aside, if your pressure isn't very low then something slippery on the road is the probable culprit or you are using to way too much chain Lube, check if you are overspraying tyre or how much is being thrown off ....

+1.gif

Next time you go through that intersection, watch for a grease spot.

+1.gif I hit one of these grease spots in an intersection and my rear slid out a good two feet. I don't know how I kept it upright as I was leaned over. I stayed on the gas so that could be partially what saved my arse. Ever since I take those intersections at a conservative pace. :goofy: Especially this one intersection as there are lots of accidents there.

I take a turn last night, riding around, and not going to fast but I did have it leaned over a good amount, and accelerated out of it. 

Thanks for any information you can give me.  (I've been riding for 3 years)

I've vote for cold tires. How long had you been riding when this happened?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a brand new rear Pilot Road and it slid on me a couple of times. Entirely controllable slides that we most likely road surface related. No biggie - just stay relaxed and steady on the throttle. Any abrupt input to the controls = bad.

• Forum CEO

Touring tire, a very capeable one at that, but still a touring tire. Pilot Roads are bound with silica too btw just like the Powers but harder rubber.

any one of these things, temperature of the road, or the tire

slick stuff on the tire or the road

suspension not set properly too much wieght biased on the front vs back

tire pressure wrong

gassing it too much while leaned over?

I can only echo whats been said already.

But i do think checking tyre pressure is VERY important.

I do it before each ride. Or if im only commuting to work and back, at least every 2nd day.

Pressure's to run in your VFR are 36psi front 42psi rear.

The manual states it, and it works for me.

I use Pilot-Power's on my '05 and they can step out if you are enthusiastic :wheel:

• Member Contributer
This is why I use sticky tires. Oh, don't wack it in a turn. Ever see Rossi on the throttle, very smooth and gradual.

I've seen Rossi intentionally power slide out of turns also. Awesome.

You did the right thing which is not to close the throttle or you can highside.

My stock tires did it "at will" and lots of times when I hit Vtec too.

I have Qualifiers now on a Blackbird. 135 RWHP and 0 slides.

+1 on HispanicSlammer btw.

I've seen Rossi intentionally power slide out of turns also. Awesome.

You did the right thing which is not to close the throttle or you can highside.

My stock tires did it "at will" and lots of times when I hit Vtec too.

I have Qualifiers now on a Blackbird. 135 RWHP and 0 slides.

+1 on HispanicSlammer btw.

Great sticking tire, but don't expect it to last very long. A friend just spooned a set on and we went for a long, spirited ride. His brand new Qualifiers looked like they had more wear than my M3s with 2,000 miles on them. I try to reach a point with great handling tires, with awesome grip, that last over 2,000 miles. I will post the final milage when the M3s are toast. Loving this tire (are you reading this Bailey?).

Archived