Single sided swingarms

Guest goldVFR

If I am not mistaken, the manual says to put the bike ON the centerstand to measure and adjust the chain. Why would they do that if it is not the correct way to do it? Enlighten me as to what the manual says, what you set yours at, why etc.

Only applicable if you have modified your rear suspension geometry.

When you shim the rear shock, you are lowering the rear sprocket relative to the swingarm pivot point - this increases the distance between the two. Therefore if you set your chain tension with the shock fully extended (i.e. on the centrestand), when the shock is compressed again the distance between swingarm pivot and rear sprocket will reduce - meaning too much chain slack.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

seems to me the angle of the rear sprocket relative to the pivot point has nothing to do with shimming the shock. At rest, with the tire on the ground, the angle is exactly the same on the swingarm.

Seems the angle would only increase, like you say, when the tire is off the ground as you has "lowered" the top of the shock so to speak by shimming.

Are my scenarios accurate here? Is the second paragraph what you are saying? Sorry to be such a mechanical dweeb here but I am trying to learn.

seems to me the angle of the rear sprocket relative to the pivot point has nothing to do with shimming the shock. At rest, with the tire on the ground, the angle is exactly the same on the swingarm.

Yep. My statement "you are lowering the rear sprocket relative to the swingarm pivot point" is a bit misleading, I should have added "when the bike is on the centrestand".

Seems the angle would only increase, like you say, when the tire is off the ground as you has "lowered" the top of the shock so to speak by shimming.

Yep.

Backtracking a bit - the reason we're VFRd'ing this is because V800C said:

But you have to remember to run greater chain slack when measured on the centerstand as the swingarm has more downangle and the chain will be too tight when the suspension compresses if you continue to use the factory recommended slack settings.

• 9 months later...
Honda experimented with a DSS dual sided swingarm on the RC45 but did not adopt it

citing no clear advantage over the cast magnesium single sided swingarm... you have to

remember that a cast magnesium SSS is lighter or just as light as a cast and extruded

aluminum DSS...

I think Ducati cites cost as the reason for going with a DSS after years campaigning a

SSS...

The SSS was ditched due to the newfound advantage of allowing suspension flex when leaned over. A SSS is very stiff and any flex causes wheel misalignment. A double sided swingarm, narrow but deep in section, allows for parallelogram flex movement with minimal misalignment. A corresponding flex component in the front suspension is provided by the frame rails, not the forks, also to minimize misalignment.

Oh yeah...wheels04.jpg :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Who cares about old racebikes. The RC30/45 all probably get schooled by today's stock 1000RR anyway.

with who driving???

spencer on a STOCK 87 vfr ,stomped a bunch mag writers on a bunch of cbr 929,959, and 1000s..

would he still beat them on a cbr? who knows ..FOGGY himself was shit with out a duc...

• Member Contributer
I like SSS on the front!

Yamah GTS1000 (Bimotor also)

profile.gif

i must ad mit i want to find one of these bikes and make a really tricked out vfr 1000ssa on both ends...

• Member Contributer
Untitled-7.jpg

Very nice hub, but that weld in the middle of the swingarm desperately needs a grinder taken to it!

Yea, really wish that weld was not there, but oh well.

Guest vfrrider

Sorry, the GTS1000 with VFR SSS has already been done. Looks way cool, too. I didn't do it, but it's still cool.

You can still do it again though. They come up every now and than stateside. Only imported 93-95 here. Out till 99 in EU.

Larry

VFRrider

Sorry, the GTS1000 with VFR SSS has already been done. Looks way cool, too. I didn't do it, but it's still cool.

You can still do it again though. They come up every now and than stateside. Only imported 93-95 here. Out till 99 in EU.

Larry

VFRrider

gallery_5401_2426_66936.jpg

NC30 arm + GPz engine + GTS frame = :thumbsup:

Very nice hub, but that weld in the middle of the swingarm desperately needs a grinder taken to it!

It doesn't look nearly as bad in the metal.

• Member Contributer

Here are some that I found with single sided swing arms with help from a friend

Honda:

'00- current Gold Wing

GT 650 (Hawk)

RC30

RC45

90 to current VFR

Ducati:

916/998/748

Ducati MH900E

Monster S4R

MultiStrada

MV Agusta:

F4's 750/1000

Brutales

BMW:

So many to list on this brand.

Moto Guzzi:

Same as BMW...many to list!

Aprilia:

Futura

Triumph:

Speed Triple

T959/955

Sprint ST

Muzzy:

Rapto

I like SSS on the front!

Yamah GTS1000 (Bimotor also)

profile.gif

i must ad mit i want to find one of these bikes and make a really tricked out vfr 1000ssa on both ends...

Someone beat you to it already.

A guy that worked for Mission Honda/Yamaha here in San Francisco, had one with a VFR rear SSS grafted on to it. I used to see it parked in front of that motorcycle store till about two years ago, every day. Looks like it's gone now or the guy quit working there. I hope the bike is still in one piece somwhere, cause it looked great.

Beck

95 VFR

Untitled-7.jpg

Yea, really wish that weld was not there, but oh well.

Guess what?!?

I went to visit my friend/bike guy Kerry yesterday, and he said he's getting some new Ducatis, before they're officially released in New Zealand! The Ducati dealers here are going to be pissed off! He's bringing in a 1098, the new ST4S, and the new Mostro (or Monster, if you prefer English), via Japan. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

NO NO NO NO NO!! :unsure:

read!!

i want a a VFR 1000 with the front from the yamaha!!! and the back from a 750... !

this is not the same as a yamahhhahahaha with vfr ssa!!

i want the bastard v4!!!! :lol: :P

Archived