Wax unit connections?

Quick question. Where do the 2 hoses connect to coming out of the idle control wax unit on the throttle body? I cleaned the injectors and reinstalled the TB but now one of the hoses is not connected to anything and I can’t see where it goes. 

IMG_5777.jpeg

• Member Contributer

The wax unit appears to have a hose on each nipple, so I assume you have the loose end of the left side one in your hand. It goes to a nipple on the top of the left side engine coolant intake stub in the edge of the left side V of the engine. 

The other hose goes to the thermostat housing. 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Mohawk said:

The wax unit appears to have a hose on each nipple, so I assume you have the loose end of the left side one in your hand. It goes to a nipple on the top of the left side engine coolant intake stub in the edge of the left side V of the engine. 

The other hose goes to the thermostat housing. 

Hi Mohawk. I think the hose positions are opposite to what you've described.

Looking at the drawing and the OP's picture, both are oriented the same. So looking at the left or forward hose connection at the wax unit the drawing shows that going to the T/Stat housing (outflow). The right or rear hose (inflow) goes to the "left side V of the engine".

Not sure whether the flow direction through the wax unit is critical, but best to have flow per the drawing I guess.

• Like 1

The hose with the sharp bend (thermostat pod) is no longer available from Honda and the pair is usually not included in the silicone kits available from 3rd parties.  AS3 has repro'd them in silicone, and they are available separately.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/145298195420

Another reference drawing is the "water pump" parts fiche available to view on any site.  Hose with sharp bend molded goes to small nipple on thermostat pod.  Other hose goes to a coolant elbow that is bolted to the left side of the engine near the V.

waxidle.thumb.PNG.1b4e758d3c6c299f5d1f96f159f9e363.PNG

• Member Contributer

I was referring to the left side of the bike rather than the wax unit. I'm fairly sure that flow direction is immaterial as it's just a heating circuit. I replaced mine with a 99 choke cable setup, best thing for them IMO & just ran a hose direct from left nipple off take to the thermostat nipple. 

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Is the conversion in the forum someplace? My wax is waxing just fine, but there are a lot of failures reported. I'd like to have a backup plan!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

That would def be a mod I would do if I had a 00-01.  I have a lifetime of practice using a lever, thank you very much.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

I was referring to the left side of the bike rather than the wax unit. I'm fairly sure that flow direction is immaterial as it's just a heating circuit. I replaced mine with a 99 choke cable setup, best thing for them IMO & just ran a hose direct from left nipple off take to the thermostat nipple. 

My Bad :wacko:.....Sorry Mohawk misread left and right as looking at picture and drawing relative to the wax unit.

Like your idea of reverting to a cable choke for a 5gen, Less clutter under the TB's and one thing less to give you problems. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

You can either buy the 98-99 parts, or if you look at them you can see its a simple bracket to hold the end of the cable & if you remove the wax unit you can make a bracket for the cable & attach to the same point as the wax unit mounts & choke lever. Then you can order the 98-99 choke lever. The 2K's have a blank plate on the right side of the left switch gear, but the rest is all there. Same part may fit from other models like CBR600 etc as a lot of Hondas from that tome used the same switch gear. 

My wax unit was working fine before I upgraded the engine, then it would take choke off too early at too low a temp & bike would die at idle. Now I can keep choke on until temp reaches 60C & then it's off & all OK. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, bmart said:

Is the conversion in the forum someplace? My wax is waxing just fine, but there are a lot of failures reported. I'd like to have a backup plan!

I suspect the majority of failures are blockages in the water hoses leading to/from the WU that prevent it from chasing the idle down promptly as the water heats up.

12 minutes ago, Terry said:

I suspect the majority of failures are blockages in the water hoses leading to/from the WU that prevent it from chasing the idle down promptly as the water heats up.

Does flushing the cooling system out, resolve this usually? Or more serious work required?

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, Terry said:

The reports I have read seem to be from owners that are pretty good regarding maintenance.  I think "some" is probably more accurate.

I think it was stop gab engineering in a mid life model update along with the cat, sensors and PGM updates.

• Like 2

In my time with a 2000, I didn't have any issues with the wax unit.  It's also worth mentioning that all 6th and 8th gens have a wax unit too.  It's a different part than the 2000/2001, but they still have them.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

At 22 years old, my wax unit "sort of" works and it is most likely a coolant blockage thing.  But I live in San Diego 😄

I have a pile of new hoses and a new wax unit in a box next to my bike.  Eventually will get around to it.

• Member Contributer
On 1/26/2024 at 12:22 AM, toreckman said:

Does flushing the cooling system out, resolve this usually? Or more serious work required?

You may need to find where the small coolant hoses branch off and blow through there. 

Wax units are very common on FI bikes prior to RBW throttles and will be found on loads of bikes. My 2005 ST1300 has one and that model was produced from o2 to 2012. The subsequent VFR1200 moved to RBW and relies on the ECM and the throttle stepper motors.