oem right front brake pads

spud786

Learning moment.... perhaps look at the part numbers, from the whatever brand you ordered, to see if they show fronts and rear are the same part number ?

Or check with the old pads on the bike now, to see if they fit front to back? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VeeEffArah said:

Learning moment.... perhaps look at the part numbers, from the whatever brand you ordered, to see if they show fronts and rear are the same part number ?

Or check with the old pads on the bike now, to see if they fit front to back? 

This is the way.  Looking up your bike's parts on a Honda parts site, or checking EBC's catalog only takes a few moments and you'll get your answer.

• Member Contributer

Sometimes the rear pads can be the same configuration, but a different compound or thickness, resulting in a different part # too.

• Member Contributer

On my 5th gen, the pad plates were identical (so they could physically mount), but the pads were not. Different thickness and shape. I imagine that the front generates a LOT more heat under braking. 

20231004_222009.thumb.jpg.82d5c650fe30466edd08f20a2f08092a.jpg

20231004_222049.thumb.jpg.fdf445e249a28e5e9f5e655509b8eb87.jpg

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, bmart said:

I imagine that the front generates a LOT more heat under braking.

Just wait for the SMC to seize, plenty of heat in the rear then.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Here's the drawings and dimensions for the Front and Rear Ferodo pads I replaced on my 2009 6gen years ago. Fronts sure don't look compatible to the Rears!

Fronts = FDB2196ST

Rears = FDB2098P

Screenshot_20231116_142619_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231116_142745_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

I ordered the oem pads, found an ebay deal, and then discovered they were right fronts(non returnable).  But EBC shows same part number for their pad line(front and rear), which means the oem front pads will Physically fit on the rear, pad compound likely differnt , but I should be able to use them .

Thanks for the help

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Grum said:

Curious, why do you talk of "right front" are you saying the left fronts are different?

Fwiw, according to Partzilla, Honda list three different brake pads for 6th gen VFR800s:

left front:     06456-MCW-H02

right front:   06455-MCW-H02

rear:             06435-MAT-016

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

The other thing worth considering is that there is a 40mm difference between the front and rear disc diameters. Front and rear pads would surely have slightly different arc angles you'd think!

On 11/16/2023 at 2:50 PM, Lorne said:

Fwiw, according to Partzilla, Honda list three different brake pads for 6th gen VFR800s:

on abs model  L  front is a different composite, non abs both front the same.

Im thinking left front softer composite, it also wears faster than right front on abs model

Final verdict,  no dice,  the frame of the right fronts are longer by 1/4 to 1/2 inch.    I guess I'll be sitting on thees right front pads for a while, I did them not long ago, and order another set of rears,

On 11/16/2023 at 2:50 PM, Lorne said:

its a 2006 ABS model,  that would be great if the right pads will fit the left front,  I would need left pads before the right fronts.

I have  oem rear set on order, so we'll try this again.  In my haste of bouncing around finding an oem deal, I smudged over whether they were actually for the rear , those right fronts were $47,  its costing me $59 for these rears i just ordered, but I need them to get it done.

I dont ride this bike enough, for the right front pads not to sit for years, but if I can use them on the Left Front, that lessens the pain of throwing out $50 , and not being needed.