WHAT DOES THIS DO ? ? ?

What is the reason for #3 on below exploded view below?

Nothing touches it.  It is oil tight.  My only guess is that it's some sort of a fancy Honda sound deadening chamber.

Is there any reason not to remove it, if one wanted , if so, what is the reason ? ? ?Screenshot2023-11-08at7_58_26PM.thumb.png.07e2d0146f69a08f1eeaa0b570306ffd.png

Thanks all.

Wonder what the engine sounds like with it removed ? ?   Gotta try it.

Had this thing since new (76,000 miles) with no issues.  I decided to check out the clutch specs when I saw the unused disc attached to the side cover.

Thanks again,

Josh

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

You're welcome... but it is designed to dampen clutch knock not engine sound...

Then why do my 86s have them on the Left side too?  Generator knock?  Honestly, I don't think they can discriminate which sound they might be dampening.

11 hours ago, scup33 said:

Thanks all.

Wonder what the engine sounds like with it removed ? ?   Gotta try it.

Had this thing since new (76,000 miles) with no issues.  I decided to check out the clutch specs when I saw the unused disc attached to the side cover.

Thanks again,

Josh

When I swapped frames on the RC26 I prepped another engine and harness to have a head start before swapping components.  Original engine I left them out, new one had them intact.  I really couldn't tell a difference.

• Member Contributer

My guess is those are harmonic dampers to reduce the cases from resonating. Gotta love the smoothness that Honda worked so hard to deliver.

• Member Contributer

This is gonna turn into an oil or tire thread I can feel it...   but...

You have an overall (db) limit to stay under for the bike to pass EPA (or equivalent) requirements.  ANYTHING you can do to save some noise can be spent elsewhere and the loud gear drives are eating up a bunch.  You can then "spend" some (db) on things like intake and exhaust to help make the power you want.  It's also part of the reason they put in heavy spring loaded split gears on the cams.

No spring loaded gears here:

NW6A-Engine.jpg.cccae9641e7835a60580a4bf63d18737.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Those things went missing on several bikes I own. Just weight that's not needed and no discernible noise increase, unless you were using a sensitive instrument to measure with.

4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

This is gonna turn into an oil or tire thread I can feel it...   but...

You have an overall (db) limit to stay under for the bike to pass EPA (or equivalent) requirements.  ANYTHING you can do to save some noise can be spent elsewhere and the loud gear drives are eating up a bunch.  You can then "spend" some (db) on things like intake and exhaust to help make the power you want.  It's also part of the reason they put in heavy spring loaded split gears on the cams.

No spring loaded gears here:

NW6A-Engine.jpg.cccae9641e7835a60580a4bf63d18737.jpg

If I ever get into the engine on mine those gears won't be spring loaded afterwards.

• Member Contributer

Megaforce was a terrible movie, but it did have flying motorcycles in it. And the 707 song. That's something.