Led strip light photos?

JonnyBgood

• Member Contributer

Real men don't do this to their defenseless motorcycles...or cars...or kids...or wives

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
On 8/19/2023 at 11:14 PM, JonnyBgood said:

Has anyone installed the led strip lights on their bike? I'm interested but just would like to see some pics and maybe pointers on which to buy. 

Seriously, all these LED stripe light things look tacky and degrade the look of a quality machine like the 8gen or any VFR for that matter!

Where are ya gonna stick these things, and could they simply fall off at some stage? Anywhere on the fairings will probably need some form of quick electrical release for fairing removal, why go messing with the bikes electrics for no gain and the potential for introducing problems. Sorry, but Only in my irrelevant view, it will look like shit! But of course YMMV.

Enjoy your wonderful 8gen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, vfrgiving said:

So... To actually answer the question.  No, I don't think anyone here has plastered their 8th Gens with LED light strips.

Only over my dead body!

If it does not add to performance,  there is no place for it!

• Member Contributer

LED light strips could actually be useful.

Not as a cosmetic item, but as a light source for emergency troubleshooting/maintenance.

In that role, they'd put little to no drain on the battery.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, ggathagan said:

Not as a cosmetic item, but as a light source for emergency troubleshooting/maintenance.

610dUd6KlYL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.2b065cd2db1c3ae3fd023135f57710e8.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ggathagan said:

Toss some of these in a tank bag.

https://www.harborfreight.com/56-lumen-emergency-triangle-led-work-light-63722.html

• Member Contributer

There were no replies to this the first time I read it, and my mothers words ("if you can't say anything nice....") echoed in my head as I typed my response, which I did not submit. This is now one of the more entertaining threads I've read in a while, and I could have kicked it off. Thanks Mom. 

On 8/19/2023 at 6:14 AM, JonnyBgood said:

Has anyone installed the led strip lights on their bike? I'm interested but just would like to see some pics and maybe pointers on which to buy. 

Hi Jonny,

I've asked this same general question in the past and received similar responses to what you see here.

I purchased a set of quality LED lighting strips from https://www.motorcycleledlights.com/  and they are very nicely made and motorcycle vibration proof.

I have the 8th gen also and what I did not think about beforehand is that the bodywork on these bikes are so aerodynamically sealed up that it is seemingly impossible to mount any strip lights without them being seen.  That is, you want to see the effect of the lights, not the actual light strips.  Finding mounting locations is a bugger on this bike, unlike the typical open fared super-sport bikes I am used to with body panels left uncovered on the inside.

My main reason for buying the lights was to boost my visibility at night since 50% of my riding is in the dark.   I saw another rider with LED's about a half mile in front of me on the freeway one night and it looked like a helicopter was lighting him up from above.  The key is to light the bike and the ground underneath the bike.

I started to give it a try a few months ago, but realized I would have to give up use of my bike for about a week to get the job done.  You have to remove ALL bodywork and the tank to route the wires.  I don't have that kind of time now but will get to it eventually. 

In the end I just ignore the nay-sayers because it's the other drivers out there that I don't want to ignore.  I will definitely post pics when I get the job done : ) 

Cheers.,.,

• 1 month later...

Here you go.  It was a very difficult project, but I eventually found a few areas to affix my LED's. 

The colors look very vivid in person and can fade in/out or even from color to color.

Red looks the best to me on the red bike, but on a white VFR all the colors would look incredible.

20231006_195909.jpg

20231006_195350.jpg

20231006_195705.jpg

20231006_195929.jpg

20231006_200003.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SubyRS said:

Here you go.  It was a very difficult project, but I eventually found a few areas to affix my LED's. 

The colors look very vivid in person and can fade in/out or even from color to color.

Red looks the best to me on the red bike, but on a white VFR all the colors would look incredible.

A

20231006_195350.jpg

20231006_195705.jpg

20231006_195929.jpg

20231006_200003.jpg

Any chance of seeing this out of the road and in the dark. As in no street lights 

what does it look like from a riding position?

I don't have any on bike photo or video capability and no film crew to follow me on my bike. All I can say is the pictures capture exactly what it looks like in the dark and from the riders seat all I see is a little red glow around the inner front fairing. Most all the lights are below or behind me so unless I look directly down at the road underneath me it all just looks normal. I made a short video on YouTube which includes the riders view. 

https://youtu.be/e3U1b5tWBDE?si=MPlxUh-pXoeEUSdj