Chain replacement - Sprockets too?

I'm going to be replacing my chain with a new x ring DID. I replaced my chain with new sprockets on my last 25th VFR but I'm thinking I may skip

the sprockets this time around because my rear sprocket looks so good.

Changing my sprockets on the next chain replacement.

Bike has 28,250 kms.

My buddy changed his chain on his zx14 and the dealer said sprockets look good and just changed chain.

And yes I know, they say change the chain and sprockets at same time.

What's your take ? Any opinions?

Thxs and ride safe

• Member Contributer

Both. Why risk undue wear on yr brand new and expensive chain? 

YMMV

• Member Contributer

If you are considering not doing everything, at least change the C/S sprocket.  I will swap out mine about halfway thru the chain life.   They take a lot of the abuse and it's usually the only thing that shows any wear.   It greatly extends the life of the chain for me, and subsequently the rear sprocket too. 

And they are cheap, especially compared to the other two components.   It's worth the 20 or so bucks to me.  I've got a few bikes and it really helps get the most out of expensive chains and rear sprockets. 

Not quite your question or situation, but kinda applies.

But, yeah, the best option is everything.  Obviously.

• Member Contributer

I always do both. While sprockets may “look” good, they can be worn to the point where they will miss match a new chain. Keep in mind that at each roller the wear is very small. 10mm of chain stretch equals 1/10th of a mm at each pin. I doubt you’re able to see that on the sprocket, but it’s likely there.

• 1 month later...

I got over 43k on the last DID ZVM chain. Regular cleaning (WD40)and lubing with Dupont Teflon wax is my personal regime.

No brainer, always do the front and rear sprockets with the chain.

On a similar but somewhat hilarious note...back in 2021 BMW teamed up with Regina and offered a no maintenance chain.

Ha ! Apparently a real distance rider slapped one of these wonder chains on to see how long it would go with no maintenance.

Only 12k mi before it was shot.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/bmws-maintenance-free-m-endurance-chain-put-to-the-test

• Member Contributer

Lower cost by skipping the replacement of worn sprockets are for owners who close their wallets with
a Chinese Torque wrench...

We don't have to guess about wear because Honda provided a handy
guide to monitor chain wear... stay with in the green and you'll be looking
for a new chain and sprockets at the 8 to 12K mile mark...

gallery_3131_51_39609.jpg

• Member Contributer

People may laugh, but I change sprockets and chain before 30,000km. There is usually a split o’ring before then. Used DID Zvmx in the past but now VX3.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Lower cost by skipping the replacement of worn sprockets are for owners who close their wallets with a Chinese Torque wrench...

I don't think anybody considered this a thread about not replacing "worn" sprockets.   It was a discussion about considering the condition of a part of a system.   

And everyone agreed with that information, just do em all.

Archived