Startup Miss/Knock/Ping/Piston slap?

I'm not quite sure about this one. No Fi light and bike has 35k on it. 

My '03 is acting up and I'm not quite sure how to diag it. On a cold startup the bike will sometimes miss or knock a bit. It's not a dead miss or a consistent pattern like one cylinder is the issue but it makes noises I'm positve aren't normal and it has me on my toes. 

The bike is desmoged, and has a slip on but nothing beyond that. Maintenence is all up to date, new expensive plugs at 30k, gas is fresh, filters and oil is clean. 

I'm ultra paranoid because the big girl has a habit of throwing me expensive curveballs right at the end of the season. Two years ago the R/R blew and took the stator with it, last year the thermostat seals had enough, started peeing and I had to sit through backorders for a couple months to get new hoses and o-rings (did the CCT in the V at the same time). Now it's making a funny noise and it's right about that time again but this time I'm not in a place where I can field a more expensive repair. I do it all myself but, VFR parts are spendier than the Dualsport parts I'm used to buying even for the smaller stuff.

I love the thing but I'm conisdering selling at this point. I'd definitely regret it but it might be that time. I'm meandering away from the original point though...

Is anyone familiar with some startup knock and what the root issue may be? Or at least where I should start looking?

• Member Contributer

You say you did the CCT in the V, that's the forward cylinders, how about the rear cylinders CCT are you hearing this noise up near the head area of the rear cylinders? That would point to the rear CCT at fault, also the rear CCT is easy to replace.

Perhaps a video posted might help to diagnose your issue.

7 hours ago, Grum said:

You say you did the CCT in the V, that's the forward cylinders, how about the rear cylinders CCT are you hearing this noise up near the head area of the rear cylinders? That would point to the rear CCT at fault, also the rear CCT is easy to replace.

Perhaps a video posted might help to diagnose your issue.

It's difficult to tell where the noise is. It doesnt seem to be much louder on one side or the other.

I added a extra spin of preload to the rear CCT when I replaced the front one. Reasoning being that at the time, the front bank had some of the chain noise associated with the cct getting sloppy. The rear bank did not have that noise and is easily accessed so I let it be (aside from a little extra spring preload) until it starts making noise as well. 

A sound file is worth a thousand words I suppose. I'll take a video of it tomorrow night when I get home. 

• Member Contributer

One other thing since you did the stator.  If its not torqued down right, the magnetic forces at idle will make it rattle and it sure sounds like all of those things.  Fine on throttle and when warm, rattly when cold.  

• Member Contributer
On 7/10/2023 at 10:52 PM, twistednoble said:

the bike will sometimes miss or knock a bit.

Worn clutch basket, perchance?

• Member Contributer

Nice looking 2003 you have. Very noticeable at the 28sec mark as you walk behind the bike. It does sound a bit to me like a CCT issue causing chain clatter possibly rear cylinders. You also mention it's not a problem on the left side of the bike, chain clatter is more evident on the right side of the bike. Upping the spring preload is not a very successful practice, if it's a CCT issue  just fit a new OEM one.

Grab yourself a large long screwdriver stick you ear onto the handle the other end on the head covers, do you hear the noise?

Is the noise up high at the head covers and on the right side? meaning most likely a CCT issue or are you hearing it low down and which side, Clutch or Alternator area?

Also your idle speed sounds fast, cant see the Tacho, but just sounds fast. Set warm engine idle to 1200rpm.

• Member Contributer

The sound being more prevalent on the right side would be consistent with the location of the CCT's.  The pic is of a 6th gen motor out of the bike.  The green arrows show the location of each.  The front is a bit more difficult to access due to the throttle body, thermostat, etc.  If you remove the center bolt, be careful of the crush washer under the bolt.  If you drop it in to the V, you won't retrieve it with a magnet, it's aluminum.  DAMHIK . . .  Be wary of videos on line of people showing how to "rebuild" a CCT - generally by over tightening (and stretching) an already tired spring.  Seems there has been good success with replacing the CCTs with new ones and they seem fairly reasonable to purchase.  Best of luck with it. 

CCTsII.jpg.dc78058e76cadfeb9757cbc798f77da4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got busy and didn't get a chance to update.

I finally got to adjusting the idle and it's slowed the knock quite a bit. I don't think it is the cam chain this time; I'm actually curious what @Lorne can enlighten me with about worn clutch baskets. 

When I grab the clutch it will stop making that intermittent noise completely so long as I continue to hold it, then when I let go of the clutch it will wait for a second and then start doing it again. I don't think it's a cam chain issue since the noise will go away once the bike is warmed up. When I had cam chain noise it would continue to make the noise regardless of engine temp.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, twistednoble said:

I'm actually curious what @Lorne can enlighten me with about worn clutch baskets. 

What you may have is normal clutch knock at idle... you see over time
slop develops allowing the gear teeth to knock about and thus the
noise... grab the clutch lever and the inner basket helps align the
outer basket and the noise deadens... the only cure is to eliminate
the slop with new clutch parts...

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, twistednoble said:

I'm actually curious what @Lorne can enlighten me with about worn clutch baskets. 

Larry explained my thinking better than I can. Always listen to BLS 😉

I mention it only as a possibility, largely because my ~93,000 km '09 VTec is pretty damned rattly of late. Though I haven't determined if that is more likely than the chain tensioners.

Archived