Kenda KM1 - $153 Tire Set

vfrgiving

• Member Contributer

There's a pretty big difference from leading and trailing edge, yes, but moreso that it isn't round left to right. That makes high and low spots that a rider can feel with the change in effort. And, the high spots, of course, provide less grip. Admittedly, many don't notice these things, which is why I was asking. (Genuinely curious, not poking the bear. 🙂 )

• Member Contributer

Of few of mine from the past. For whatever reason, pics of this seem to be hard for cameras to capture. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bc3825fe8c772afabeda8a8573e81231.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1cbe4ae594c77bb8a8b5b9c16b729cbf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.73987299231afb545011594bb259f607.jpeg

1 hour ago, bmart said:

There's a pretty big difference from leading and trailing edge, yes, but moreso that it isn't round left to right.

You're talking more about the fact it's squaring off?  I haven't noticed any significant difference over past tires I've ran.  They all get flat in the middle.   I don't get to commute to work on US 129.  As the flat becomes more pronounced with wear I can eventually tell tip in isn't as smooth as a fresh tire, but that doesn't keep me from taking it down to the wear bars.  Or maybe a little farther... 😁

As for that little curled lip on the trailing edge of the siping, I think that has to due with the nature of the tread pattern and forces from acceleration.  Those side treads are more perpendicular and are taking forces broadside on the trailing edge.  I've burned through numerous sets of Bridgestones that had a very similar tread pattern and I'm on the last one on the 2nd VFR.  That also exhibits the trailing edge curl.

IMG_20230522_201049_(1080_x_486_pixel).thumb.jpg.0682bad26b957c0f0dcf31cfe798ff38.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

They do all get flat in the middle, unless you only ride in the twisties. It’s a gradual change, so we all get used to the handling. A new set of tyres highlights the change. I take my tyres to the wear strips too.

• Member Contributer

Right. Mine get scalloped when I suck at braking properly and get worn flat at partial lean, so I get a high spot on each side of the flat spots, which really sucks when you need grip there!

I think my biggest gripe with tire wear usually hits the front the hardest, and that's from the slope of the road crown.  The left side of the front tire is always out of tread first.  I imagine for UK and Europe folks it's the opposite, the right side wears quicker.

• Member Contributer

It's been debated a few times, but not likely the crown is a big factor..... you turn left more than right, and chances are you favour the left side and may be more aggressive on left curves than right..... I have worn the right side off first during aggressive riding on the Cherahola.

• Member Contributer

Additionally, most people "perform" differently on one side from the other. What I've seen is that people carry more lean to the left. My thought (unemcumbered by any facts!) is that most folks are right side dominant and their brains are protecting that side. I'm inferior at both sides. 🙂

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VeeEffArah said:

It's because of the extra forces and weight on the left side when you ride with your left hand on your hip.... taken from the "gixder forums".... 🤪

I find it difficult to ride with right hand on hip to balance that out!

Mine actually wears out left or right faster depending upon CW or CCW direction track is run. Some tracks only go in one direction, like Laguna Seca, so I wear out left side quicker.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, vfrgiving said:

You're talking more about the fact it's squaring off?  I haven't noticed any significant difference over past tires I've ran.  They all get flat in the middle.   I don't get to commute to work on US 129.  As the flat becomes more pronounced with wear I can eventually tell tip in isn't as smooth as a fresh tire, but that doesn't keep me from taking it down to the wear bars.  Or maybe a little farther... 😁

As for that little curled lip on the trailing edge of the siping, I think that has to due with the nature of the tread pattern and forces from acceleration.  Those side treads are more perpendicular and are taking forces broadside on the trailing edge.  I've burned through numerous sets of Bridgestones that had a very similar tread pattern and I'm on the last one on the 2nd VFR.  That also exhibits the trailing edge curl.

IMG_20230522_201049_(1080_x_486_pixel).thumb.jpg.0682bad26b957c0f0dcf31cfe798ff38.jpg

Feathering on edge of sipes more visible in previous photo:

IMG_20230522_112703_(1080_x_1529_pixel).jpg

I had that issue on mine too. Day 2 @ AMP on Q3+

uc?export=download&id=1KfJxEH8cjBUxBDuDC

Consulted with Dave Moss and he suggested I go 2/1psi less to 31F/28R. And increase rear rebound-damping. I added 1/4-turn per session and ended up 1 full turn more @ 2.75 turns compared to original 1.75. Much more even wear by 3rd day. Not much left, but definitely better. Also improved my times by 1.2s/lap, which is HUGE!

uc?export=download&id=1Z-MtT3CC113a4VGTY

Got set of KM1 in, looking forward to tyres that lasts more than 3-days!!! Especially at Attesa Podium Club track, which is much higher speeds. 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

One last tread life update on these.  Just starting to skim the center wear bars on the rear.  14,000 miles.  The front might go to 20,000 or more.   It's a little nuts the longest lasting tire I've ever ran on a VFR is the cheapest.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

A little shoutout to the Kenda KM1 and the thick amount of tread rubber they have.  I completed another cross country ride back in October.  Again I ran a new set of Kenda KM1.  On the return ride, I encountered highway conditions in the desert that required some creative riding solutions 😏 as I didn't feel like dealing with heat stroke.  That is presumably where I picked up a full size roofing nail.... that I didn't find until 900 miles later the following day in Texas.  I stopped for gas and sat down for a chain adjustment and application of gear oil.  Spinning the rear tire I found a nail head poking out dead center.  I grabbed some pliers and extracted it.  I was all set to break out the rope plugs, but a quick test found no air leakage.  It had entered the tire laterally and been buried in the tread meat. Thanks Kenda!  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

👍

I made the switch to gear oil a few trips ago.  I got tired of packing aerosal chain lube and separate degreaser.  That's money better put towards gas..  Now I carry a small squeeze bottle I filled with 90wt and a toothbrush in a case to apply.  The gear oil doubles as a decent cleaner too, as a good application and then wipe off excess with a rag carries dirt with it.

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, vfrgiving said:

I made the switch to gear oil a few trips ago.  I got tired of packing aerosal chain lube and separate degreaser.  That's money better put towards gas..  Now I carry a small squeeze bottle I filled with 90wt and a toothbrush in a case to apply.  The gear oil doubles as a decent cleaner too, as a good application and then wipe off excess with a rag carries dirt with it.

I typed a longer response (in agreement) but deleted it because we are technically talking about oil now.  And we know how this goes.  I'm just gonna give another:

👍

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

I typed a longer response (in agreement) but deleted it because we are technically talking about oil now.  And we know how this goes.  I'm just gonna give another:

👍

Exactly why I wasn't specific on the brand. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1