86 VFR700F Retool or therapy or both

tsmitty

Thanks for sharing your ohmmeter observations. A "static" or DC contact opening would be 3 wires to the sensor here is only 2 so the pulse generator probably is just a coil (if operated by AC, generating a "signal change" in the full length of the protrusion) or a coil (giving a pulse on the leading edge and another pulse on the trailing edge). The trailing edge seems to align with the 15 deg "F" mark and the length can equally well be found by mechanical measures. I don't know how the timing advancement works.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, rc24dk said:

so the pulse generator probably is just a coil

They are also commonly referred to as Pulser "Coils"

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, rc24dk said:

I don't know how the timing advancement works.

I don't either, and not wanting to experiment.

Leading edges are on location...and too hot to work any more in the garage today,

• Member Contributer

So the starter clutch is complete, assembled and installed. New EBC clutch, springs and a throw-out bearing. Ebay stator, looks stock and "The Drill" says ok so far. Engine covers in place and the rectifier half mounted; I wanted to shorten the stator wires increase cooling and stick it up next to the frame. I didn't have room in the back of the unit for a nut so I plugged the hole and tapped it for 6mx1.0. This location worked perfect! I may trim the top cooling fin a little for clearance, make up a bracket for the other mount hole from the left lower body panel stay and I'm golden!

untitled shoot-0901.jpg

untitled shoot-0902.jpg

untitled shoot-0903.jpg

untitled shoot-0904.jpg

untitled shoot-0905.jpg

untitled shoot-0906.jpg

untitled shoot-0907.jpg

untitled shoot-0910.jpg

untitled shoot-0911.jpg

untitled shoot-0912.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Small bracket for the other mount would be a good idea

Its coming Captain...heck, its almost time to pull the carbs and give them a douche... They got new rubber three years ago and are getting alum. fuel tubes this time.

IMO while a neat solution that is not the best place to put it. The frame gets *HOT* and there is significant hot air from the rad blowing straight over those fins and out the side vents.  You want it to be as cool as possible and that is going to heat it not cool it. 

Now the problem is I don't have a better solution, I've got (what looks like anyway) the same one to try and fit to mine and there are no great places for it, doesn't fit in the original location. I'm thinking can go in the space under the seat over the toolkit "pocket" location but given it gets hot enough to feel warmth *THROUGH* the seat I'm not entirely sure that's great either...but then again where is actually cool on these bikes? 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Hotter than behind the rear cylinder bank/exhaust headers, bolted to the inside of the subframe, under the seat, behind a side cover?  And then maybe down in a pocket?

Of course as cool as possible is best, but unless you want it hanging from a rear grab rail or mounted to your lower triple clamp, I don't think there is a ideal solution on a VFR.  I don't want either of those things.   These bikes produce heat and things have to deal with it.  I really don't want my carbs and air box right behind the hot air coming thru my radiator either, but it has to be "packaged" somewhere.

I've thought of mounting one on the back side of the rear fender, but I don't really want a wire run that long.  And if it's a bike that's used in any weather, it better have some really good plugs / connections to deal with a constant spray of nasty water.   And a lot of my bikes that don't go in rain don't have full rear fenders anymore.

• Member Contributer

Hey, thanks for the input, here was my train of thought for that location. The old girl is no beauty queen and never will be...haha 

The rectifier will get more air right there than it could ever hope for, the connectors are pretty water tight and will be greased before final connect, the water drain for the two plugs is excellent there and the incredibly small gauge stators wire have been shortened considerably...and the number 1 reason...it looks bad ass and needs to be painted red...haha

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Hotter than behind the rear cylinder bank/exhaust headers, bolted to the inside of the subframe, under the seat, behind a side cover?  And then maybe down in a pocket?

Honestly? Yes. FWIW mine is still (at least *I've* not changed it in 20 years and 46k) on the original reg/rec at 72k. 

Of course as cool as possible is best, but unless you want it hanging from a rear grab rail or mounted to your lower triple clamp, I don't think there is a ideal solution on a VFR.  I don't want either of those things.   These bikes produce heat and things have to deal with it.  I really don't want my carbs and air box right behind the hot air coming thru my radiator either, but it has to be "packaged" somewhere.

I agree with both there. Don't forget just in front of the lower yoke is the oil cooler too so while I'm not sure how much heat comes off it things won't be cool there either. 
This is not mine and personally I don't like it but equally I think he's gone too far the other way! No photo description available.

No photo description available.

I've thought of mounting one on the back side of the rear fender, but I don't really want a wire run that long.  And if it's a bike that's used in any weather, it better have some really good plugs / connections to deal with a constant spray of nasty water.   And a lot of my bikes that don't go in rain don't have full rear fenders anymore.

FWIW I mounted my track bike reg/rec to an aluminium plate that sits inside the tail as far as any heat sources as possible. Which is pretty much where the ECU used to live (and that I moved to hang off the front subframe). Not really practical on the VFR though. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I also have a bunch of VF/VFRs with their original units in the stock locations.  Of course, now that I've typed that, they will all start failing.

Maybe below the rad guard might be a little better, using the coil and lower rad mounts, more out of the rad exit flow.  I still think he'll be just fine with it there.   As you said, yours has been baking behind the engine for years.

All good discussion.  It's all trade-offs, isn't it?

• Member Contributer

I need to add some more monitors.  I have a couple bikes with one, but I like to have them at least partially hidden or on a toggle so I'm not staring at them.

• Member Contributer

I was wondering... if someone had a bad set of 86 gauges with a good Temp gauge...separate that Temp gauge and trim, re-lable it to read "Volts" . A volt meter matching the gorgeous 86 F gauges... Just thinking out loud...dont judge... 

• Member Contributer

Honda marine make a nice 12v voltmeter. I had one mounted on my ST1100 that looked like a factory fitment.IMG_3027.thumb.JPG.6a216dab4a08c16b365e944e2238707e.JPG

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tsmitty said:

I was wondering... if someone had a bad set of 86 gauges with a good Temp gauge...separate that Temp gauge and trim, re-lable it to read "Volts" . A volt meter matching the gorgeous 86 F gauges... Just thinking out loud...dont judge... 

I'm not sure where you'd put it though. The temp gauge is pretty big on the "round" clock version. Ideally you'd want something akin to the later RC36 bikes, although I'm equally not a fan of the "massive dash" look and my preference from a looks perspective is "round" clock RC24 > "square" clock RC24 == RC36/1 > RC36/2. 

1997 Honda VFR750F | Seattle Used Bikes

If you had the "square" clocks you could fit in the later right side clocks with a new overlay to replace the fuel gauge with a volt meter...but then if you're fitting that bit you might as well swap out the fuel sensor for the later one and have a working fuel gauge!  

• Member Contributer

Fast, that is a nice dash, what bike is that from?

Terry, that gauge doesn't look too bad at all, I don't have inner side panels for my bike so the mounting possibilities are endless. 

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, tsmitty said:

Fast, that is a nice dash, what bike is that from?

Haha.  It is apparently his least favorite...   94 - 97 VFR,  RC36-2

6 minutes ago, tsmitty said:

Terry, that gauge doesn't look too bad at all, I don't have inner side panels for my bike so the mounting possibilities are endless. 

Just search Honda Marine Volt Meter.  The CBX, SuperSport and Gold Wing Hondas had accessory ones just like it too in the 80's

15 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Haha.  It is apparently his least favorite...   94 - 97 VFR,  RC36-2

It's not a bad dash! Just my least favourite of the VFR750 dashes.

My fav is the round dash '86 but equally it's has the least features and is the least practical. 

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Fastdruid said:

My fav is the round dash '86 but equally it's has the least features and is the least practical.

Yep...  when the VFR was a championship winning Superbike.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Yep...  when the VFR was a championship winning Superbike.

I actually should say, "when the VFR looked like a championship winning Superbike."  That was actually a 6X.  But HRC kitted production VFRs still were potent bikes that won lots of races.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Fastdruid said:

But it looks so fucking cool!! Especially the little sun bonnet over the tacho.! How sexy is that!

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, tsmitty said:

But it looks so fucking cool!! Especially the little sun bonnet over the tacho.! How sexy is that!

Sun bonnet!  Haha!!   Gage parasol.

It's why I love my 1000R gages too.

20190827_064914.thumb.jpg.aafe9b9c7ad6bc0c0a1934ceba22a5f2.jpg

37 minutes ago, tsmitty said:

*EXACTLY*! 

No fuel gauge, no clock, no little sidestand warning light...but look at it! 😍

Sure mine is more practical but at what cost?! 🤣

image.thumb.jpeg.b8d40b403ba675c5507694fa7fc853a7.jpeg

• Like 1