86 VFR700F Retool or therapy or both

tsmitty

• Member Contributer

I originally purchased the bike new in 86, road racing in early 90's and sport touring throughout, sold in 2000 never to be seen again.... 2018 comes along and my son calls me up from Wisconsin. "Dad, is this the Viffer!? Its for sale and I'm buying it!"

Thats the short story.

Now I'm 63, retired, bodies beat up, trying to repair this old girl while she tries to repair me...

Today I figured out how to replace the plug wires and keep the stock boots/caps!

• Like 5

• Member Contributer

Don't think I have ever seen welded on radiator protectors like that before.

VFR_Rad1.thumb.jpg.941dbd4c83a043aa3da89fb92bae88c7.jpg

Pretty sure you can see a radiator repair from before these were welded on?

VFR_Rad2.thumb.jpg.34f9fdb2eb04151561d40ffe748bcbb3.jpg

Anyway, that's pretty cool.  And with a replaceable skid pad?

And looks like the crankcase cover has a plate welded up to it too.  Did that on both sides of my CBR600F2 race bike.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Don't think I have ever seen welded on radiator protectors like that before.

Respect Captain 80s! This is what makes an expert!

• Member Contributer

Yes, I put the protectors on back in the early track days. The side cover came some years later after a full plastic restoration (when you could buy the plastic), I T-boned a deer at about 70mph. I made the cover cap from billet and have a friend Tig it on.

When my son first bought the bike in 2018 or so, he hurried and got the thing running and took it out all day joy riding ( i strongly advised not!) well he let it sit for 2 years.

When it finely got to my garage and I started checking my old girl out here's what i found so far;

1) Stator/Rec. toast! plug melted and terminals shorted together, it boiled the flippin battery dry, spots of battery acid all over... I told the boy it wasn't ready to ride! lol 

2) Clutch slipping (not surprised, probably the one I put in back in the 90's

3) Whats left of the Kerker White Tip collector was looking like Swiss cheese in the 90's before I sold it.  Afraid to take it off.

4) Radiator shows signs of someone putting a stop leak in 

5) I put new plug wires on it this week 

6) Rear brake disc worn below limits!!! Who the heck wears the rear brake out?!?! I don't think I ever wore a set of rear pads out!

So whoever had the bike after I got rid of it let it go mechanically. The plastic isn't that bad other than the tail sections busted up pretty good, I'll get to that after I go through the electrical, front/ rear suspension (Progresive/ Fox).

When my son and I first got the bike running the engine sounded very nice, a little rich.

2nd-2-2.jpg

2nd-2-3.jpg

2nd-2-4.jpg

2nd-2-5.jpg

2nd-2.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, VFR750F3 said:

I have spare parts if you need anything.

Thanks!

I'm trying to prioritize as best i can. I'm saving for a "Ricks" stator and a "Roadster" FH020 rectifier. I just put a eBay main harness in it, not after analyzing every connection. 

So, while I'm waiting for the funds for the charging system I'll go through the suspension and mechanicals. 

• Member Contributer

I was reading an "archived" thread last night of a member having info on 3-d printed Cowl Inner Panels. Anybody?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, VFR750F3 said:

I have spare parts if you need anything.

If you have a decent radiator and/or rear brake disc that you're willing to let go of please "message" me.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, tsmitty said:

If you have a decent rear brake disc that you're willing to let go of please "message" me.

To increase your search area, the VF500F Interceptor discs are the same size and thickness, just without holes.  The 500 front rotors are a little lighter design than the 500 rear.

We put a front one on my buddy's 87 VFR, his was toast. 

"But it doesn't have holes."

"It's in perfect condition and I'm giving it to you for free."

"Oh.  Yeah, I like it."

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

To increase your search area, the VF500F Interceptor discs are the same size and thickness, just without holes.  The 500 front rotors are a little lighter design than the 500 rear.

We put a front one on my buddy's 87 VFR, his was toast. 

"But it doesn't have holes."

"It's in perfect condition and I'm giving it to you for free."

"Oh.  Yeah, I like it."

Awesome! Thank you so much! 

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, tsmitty said:

My front disc's are in great condition just the rear ones' cooked. 

Like you, that never makes sense to me.  But, rear calipers are often overlooked and nasty.  They drag and destroy discs.  And that rear caliper is the older design and very prone to seizing on the collar and not floating.

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, tsmitty said:

This will fit my rear wheel?

Yes sir.  Bolt on.

Let me check my "Parts Department".  I might have an odd ball that's not part of a set that you can have for actual shipping if you want.  But that one is a decent deal with free shipping.  I would be shipping from Washington State.

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Yes sir.  Bolt on.

Let me check my "parts Department".  I might have an odd ball that's not part of a set that you can have for actual shipping if you want.  But that one is a decent deal with free shipping.  I would be shipping from Washington State.

Thanks! I got it. The price was right for me and he got rid of a paperweight...

I was looking at the radiator that's on there looks pretty nice. a small  j/b weld repair next to the cap though. cms has a new one for about 1000.00 lol

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, tsmitty said:

Thanks! I got it. The price was right for me and he got rid of a paperweight...

I was looking at the radiator that's on there looks pretty nice. a small  j/b weld repair next to the cap though. cms has a new one for about 1000.00 lol

Perhaps give it some more time.  86-87 VFR radiators used to be very rare on ebay, but I've noticed more coming up in the last year or two that look decent and aren't crazy expensive.

I've also kinda wanted to try one these out, but with no real high hopes.  I don't know why this one is so cheap.  They usually always go for around $180.

new VFR Radiator

• Member Contributer

I took the front wheel bearings out this morning and will start cleaning the wheel up as much as I have patience for. lol

The forks comes next. Back in the track days I reworked the sliders and bushings and put Progressive springs on it. 

I'm expecting no air pressure or oil, or the same oil I put in it.

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Perhaps give it some more time.  86-87 VFR radiators used to be very rare on ebay, but I've noticed more coming up in the last year or two that look decent and aren't crazy expensive.

I've also kinda wanted to try one these out, but with no real high hopes.  I don't know why this one is so cheap.  They usually always go for around $180.

new VFR Radiator

I saw that and similar like it. Was thinking of getting one and sending it right to this guy to see if he would pressure test and rework.    https://icwradiators.com

• Member Contributer

If they are coming apart, you might consider installing some Race Tech Cartridge Emulators.  They work really good.  But they might not be compatible with your Progressive Springs.  The ID of those springs is too small to engage the Emulator correctly.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, tsmitty said:

I saw that and similar like it. Was thinking of getting one and sending it right to this guy to see if he would pressure test and rework.    https://icwradiators.com

That's what I would do.  Straight to a true old school radiator shop.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

If they are coming apart, you might consider installing some Race Tech Cartridge Emulators.  They work really good.  But they might not be compatible with your Progressive Springs.  The ID of those springs is too small to engage the Emulator correctly.

No, i just want to make sure stuff is still where it should be, new dusters and seals, oil and air.

I'll never ride the bike again other than around the block, i'm too beat up for that. I even sold my bike lift years ago lol 

I just want to give the old girl a little respect she deserves and and leave something that reflects me.

• Like 4