From 5th to 8th now back to 5th?? Quick shifter & couple questions...

mountainslide

Hi All,

Had a 5th gen years back and eventually an 8th gen, needless to say, hooked. My 8th gen and I were obliterated by a guy who blew a red at 70 just shy of two years ago. I've limited use of my left arm as a result so quick shifter a must. I wouldn't be considering a 5th gen except that this one seems to be presenting itself to me.

Anyone with experience with quick-shifter on 5th gen that can provide feedback?

Appreciate some input on value. These are rare at best with mileage this low, 5,500 mi. Yes, that is correct. some damage to right side plastic from being set down low speed. Corbin seat, hard bags, ... I knew the owner (although I didn't know he had this) who passed recently and want to be sure to be fair to his widow. 

Any Morgan experts ;^)

Last pic me on my old VFR

Thanks in advance! 

Brent

IMG_5690.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

P7270025.JPG

• Member Contributer

Welcome back, sorry to hear about your accident but good you hear you're still here and riding!

I'm totally biased and think the 5th Gen is best bike ever and red is the best color.

Regarding quickshifter info, I have little to offer. Years ago I looked at a PC5 with quick shifter but decided not something I needed.  The latest PC6 also has a quickshift option.

Regarding 5th Gen value, they're all over the place.  I casually follow nationwide prices and availability via CycleTrader and Craigslist searches. So what's a fair offer?  That bike with the damage on SF Craigslist would sell in 1-2 days for $2k, in 1-5 days for $3K and week(s) at ≥ $4K. Here's an example of dealer pricing.  Though the bike you are looking at has very low miles, it will need some "differed maintenance". How much maintenance could be "change the fluids and ride it" or a refurb like this or this.  At minimum hydraulic fluids should be replaced and the brake system especially the Secondary Master Cylinder (SMC) should be closely examined.  In my experience old hydraulic fluid will turn into jelly.  You'll also have to look at rectifier replacement along with checking and Ox-Garding all the connectors including Main Fuse B.  The Cobin seat and Beetle Bags are value added and can be sold if you don't like them. No doubt someone on this list would pay $$ for them.

Regarding Morgan, decades ago when I ran with the Vespa Club of SF, I met Bill Fink via a fellow Vespa Club member who was his Morgan mechanic.  Occasionally I visited the Morgan shop on Pier 35 on the Embarcadero as I lived and worked nearby.  In those days I knew a little about those cool looking cars.  A few years ago I read Bill passed.  I don't know what happened to his shop.  There is a Morgan shop in Santa Monica that may help, though I know nothing about the shop. For market value look at Bring a Trailer in SF and Fantasy Junction in Emeryville.  For maintenance look to the crew at Norman Racing Group in Berkeley.  If they can't fix it , very likely they can point you in the right direction. 

Hope that 5th Gen with a quick shifter works out and the needed info for the Morgan is found.

That last pic looks like Devils Slide. 

2 hours ago, Tirso said:

Welcome back, sorry to hear about your accident but good you hear you're still here and riding!

I'm totally biased and think the 5th Gen is best bike ever and red is the best color.

Regarding quickshifter info, I have little to offer. Years ago I looked at a PC5 with quick shifter but decided not something I needed.  The latest PC6 also has a quickshift option.

Regarding 5th Gen value, they're all over the place.  I casually follow nationwide prices and availability via CycleTrader and Craigslist searches. So what's a fair offer?  That bike with the damage on SF Craigslist would sell in 1-2 days for $2k, in 1-5 days for $3K and week(s) at ≥ $4K. Here's an example of dealer pricing.  Though the bike you are looking at has very low miles, it will need some "differed maintenance". How much maintenance could be "change the fluids and ride it" or a refurb like this or this.  At minimum hydraulic fluids should be replaced and the brake system especially the Secondary Master Cylinder (SMC) should be closely examined.  In my experience old hydraulic fluid will turn into jelly.  You'll also have to look at rectifier replacement along with checking and Ox-Garding all the connectors including Main Fuse B.  The Cobin seat and Beetle Bags are value added and can be sold if you don't like them. No doubt someone on this list would pay $$ for them.

Regarding Morgan, decades ago when I ran with the Vespa Club of SF, I met Bill Fink via a fellow Vespa Club member who was his Morgan mechanic.  Occasionally I visited the Morgan shop on Pier 35 on the Embarcadero as I lived and worked nearby.  In those days I knew a little about those cool looking cars.  A few years ago I read Bill passed.  I don't know what happened to his shop.  There is a Morgan shop in Santa Monica that may help, though I know nothing about the shop. For market value look at Bring a Trailer in SF and Fantasy Junction in Emeryville.  For maintenance look to the crew at Norman Racing Group in Berkeley.  If they can't fix it , very likely they can point you in the right direction. 

Hope that 5th Gen with a quick shifter works out and the needed info for the Morgan is found.

That last pic looks like Devils Slide. 

You Sir, are a wealth of knowledge! Thank you very much!

Not riding yet, but this bike is falling in my lap in a way. Seems as though doing another "he'll never be able to do that again" so soon would be good for the headspace and rehab too. Last pic and this one are "New Priest Grade" on 120 headed to Yosemite, laps up new and down old priest grade are fantastic riding. A short hour and a half from you ;^) Grateful to say very close to where I am rehabbing and the bike is as well.

Seems between, location, VFRs, cycling and Vespas we have a lot in common down in the bay area.

Thanks again,

Brent

IMG_7113.jpg

• Member Contributer

It also has a set of Heli handle bars

None of my business but if that bike was any where's near me I would have sweaty palms trying to buy it, as long as the damage was not great and fixable.

Value, it will as others have said, need a good going over, see if gas tank is rusty , probably new tires etc etc

Think about what the bike would be worth totally ready for the street and start doing the restoration math and see where you end up

20 hours ago, Hingley said:

It also has a set of Heli handle bars

None of my business but if that bike was any where's near me I would have sweaty palms trying to buy it, as long as the damage was not great and fixable.

Value, it will as others have said, need a good going over, see if gas tank is rusty , probably new tires etc etc

Think about what the bike would be worth totally ready for the street and start doing the restoration math and see where you end up

Thank you!

Windscreen too... walking over to take a good look at it later today. The bike was largely used for a 150mile commute down to the bay area from here so the few miles are highway. Will see what she has as far as records and look for the original parts. 

• Member Contributer
On 9/28/2022 at 3:19 PM, mountainslide said:

IMG_7113.jpg

Hiya Brent... a later apex will position you and your prize towards the middle of the lane...

MrRC45NevadaRoad11.JPG

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, BusyLittleShop said:

a later apex

I stopped telling street riders this as they never follow my advice. I do use it for track guys who are just there to have fun, when I coach. They tend to then use it on the street. Weird...😇

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, bmart said:

I stopped telling street riders this as they never follow my advice. I do use it for track guys who are just there to have fun, when I coach. They tend to then use it on the street. Weird...😇

I just came back from a  pre-1980mc rally, doing 1,000 miles through the Picos mountain range in Spain. on a 1953 6hp Gilera...

Uphill, manier bike would overtake me, with especially the English participants obviously blessed with Xray vision that allowed them to see through rock blocking the upcoming apex view...

Which failed at times, forcing them to block pass me/my pals :wacko:

Downhill I'd catch up with them quickly and becoming agashed by their early apex entries.... this would screw their lining up for the next ones, allowing me to divebomb when they'd invariably run wide/loose speed.   Yeah, track days do teach one to read and use the road...

PS: Ma......to VESPA's stink or what??? :laugh:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Yeah, track days do teach one to read and use the road...

Woot!

Archived