• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

aahhh  political correctness......

I call motorcycles pussy magnets, but that is just me  :goofy:

Hmmm...for some reason I'm reminded of Kill Bill, Part 1...can't quite remember why...

...on the other hand, that does kinda reify my whole male animus theory...

;)

• Member Contributer
On 9/19/2016 at 7:00 AM, Skids said:

I currently ride a 6th & 7th Gen and previously had the 5th & 6th Gens together.

The only thing I would say is; you are the only one who knows whether you can control your right wrist and therefore your speed and what trouble you may get yourself into. You've had big bikes before, so make the decision yourself. 

After the 1200, the 800 feels very slow (because it is). 

Throttle is on the right.  Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.  I can't take credit for either of these two statements, but they both apply. 

On 9/19/2016 at 11:46 AM, Rogue_Biker said:

Before this turns into another heated  800 vs 1200 discussion, let me get my 2 cents in.

It's been 20 years since you last rode?  You have experience with treating motorcycle related accidents.  One of the things you mentioned that contribute to that were excessive speed and riding beyond the given skill level.  These all apply whether you get an 800 or a 1200.

The 800 is capable of reaching 60 mph in a scant 3.5 seconds, and the quarter mile in 11.5 seconds.  The 1200 will do the same feat in about 2.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile under 10.  There are only a handful of SUPERCARS that can do that feat.  So that is the kind of performance you are going to deal with, and all controlled by your wrist and your brain.  The more power you have available, the faster that bike will accelerate and your capacity to make decisions very quickly must then match that capability.  The reason why veteran riders recommend newbies (and you are definitely a newbie) to get a less powerful bike is for the same exact reasons I mentioned.  Both the 800 and the 1200 will cover distance very quickly, but it is MUCH EASIER for the 1200 to do that.  Can you handle a decreasing radius turn with a posted speed limit of 15 mph coming at you fast while you're moving at 45 mph?  How quickly can you make the right call when faced with a situation that is evolving quickly in front of you?  Only you can answer that.  Yes it is true that your wrist is under your control.  But you are only human maybe after 3 months you will feel overly confident and you will twist the throttle more and then you will face a rapidly evolving chain of events.  In my opinion, a less powerful bike will give you SOME pause...enough to not pull out to pass that moment, not carry too much speed to the next corner....maybe that will be the deciding factor for you to not crash?  You won't know that until you are in THAT moment.

As far as performance is concerned, let me make one thing perfectly clear:  BOTH the 800 and 1200 are fast.  The 1200 is just faster in a straight line AND it is easier to make it go fast.  The word "slow" does not apply to either bike.  Even a CBR300RR accelerates to 60 mph in 5 seconds.  That's NOT slow.  A Fiat 500 is slow (0-60 in 10 seconds).

Along the same lines as above, find the right tool for the job.  If your roads are generally straight, you may need a "fast" bike to enjoy riding, but I lack experience in this type of "riding" to even comment. 

If you seek curves, pay more attention to rake/trail, suspension, and tires.  You will not be happy on a 10 year old bike on 6 year old tires that needs a suspension service / rebuild or that is not sprung for your weight or adjusted appropriately (sag, etc).  I would caution coming to some conclusions based on such anecdotal experiences since that may not be the norm for a properly setup machine.  I prefer my CB500X for the majority of riding due to light weight, comfort, and wind protection with aftermarket farkles (full fairing not needed).  It also instills a sense of personal responsibility that I don't find in the VFR.  I consider it my touring motard.

11 hours ago, Dutchy said:

I have yet to find one woman attracted to my motorcycle.  Most try to take me away from it.  Maybe I hang out with the wrong women.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MsRN98 said:

Between that and all his questions--including about my sex--I expected a dog and pony show. The no-show was annoying, but it was the better show, IMO. Not that I don't like dogs or ponies...

Definitely a red flag. When I went with fellow forum member "ThePretender" to go look at a 2002 VFR800, the seller had insisted that the bike had ABS, even though I pointed out the missing rings, sensors, wires and remote preload shock. I even showed him what the shock looked like, as I have one in my 6 Gen. He was dismissive and basically said "I know this bike has ABS" :pinocchio:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2016 at 10:03 PM, MsRN98 said:

Wow! 

5722d6f4b316c53355ccf76cc4394790.jpg

'03 with 13.5K miles, Power Commander V, PC Auto tuner, Sargent seat, heated grips--$3800
My guess is that the '03 is the best value, followed by the '06 
Any thoughts?

Actually the 03 listed above is an ABS model bike with low miles and some nice options which would make it number 1 in my book of listed offerings. 

Go check it out!

BR

Given that we're down to one vehicle at present, getting out to see these bikes has been challenging. I found two more that quire intrigue me: an '07 Anniversary Edition with hard luggage and 10K miles, dropped in driveway and repainted (quite well, it seems)--asking $4500; and a '00 with 20.5K miles in nice shape for $2K firm. If the '00 is for real, I think it's a steal. I've also not ruled out the '03 with ABS, though I like the colors on the '00 and '07 better.

f9308f1d3c6d61b758fc51de394d08cd.jpg1974312c260c0c8a966e70afabdd6d07.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, CasualSwede said:

Are the 5th gen decals easily removed, or is that side fairing a repaint as well? 

I wouldn't say easily removed.

Fairing looks OEM based on the mounting holes/etc. 5th gen aftermarket Chinese plastics are fairly horrid and easy to spot if you know what you're looking for. 

I wouldn't say easily removed.

Fairing looks OEM based on the mounting holes/etc. 5th gen aftermarket Chinese plastics are fairly horrid and easy to spot if you know what you're looking for. 

According to the current owner, its the original paint (I asked).

Right front fork slider looks to have a little corrosion, but that's all the bad that I can see. My biggest problem is that the bike is 5-6 hours away; I can ride another '00 (43K miles) here, but I can't easily test ride the one with 20.5K. Owner seems honest and straightforward. Any reason I shouldn't consider the bike good if a Honda shop does a thorough pre-purchase inspection (my dime)?

Anyone in the Fort Wayne area and want to check out a '00 on my behalf? I'm having a local shop do a full pre-purchase inspection, including going over the wiring and charging system on Tuesday.

If the shop says it's fine and you can have the owner take a load of pictures at any angle you dictate, you should be fine!

You have a good point...though I was expecting people to criticize my choice to buy a bike I haven't actually touched or ridden.

I was also reading about suspension mods and saw that Mr. Daugherty--whom many here swear by--is based in Fort Wayne. Too bad I don't yet have an opinion on the stock suspension!

Finally--haven't had the free time to drive an hour and a quarter to test ride an 800; too many projects at home right now, and my daughter is on local gymnastics and dance teams, so we're always busy. I did ride a K1200RS the other day-a bit top heavy, high miles, slightly grabby brakes and shifting from 2nd to 3rd only worked about half the time. But the motor was downright amazing, and the heated grips and cruise control were really nice, too. That said, for the weight (around 600#), the VFR 1200 is IMO a much better ride in almost all respects. Though I can understand why the K bike has its adherents--it's quite fun in its own right, and very fast!

21 hours ago, MsRN98 said:

I was expecting people to criticize my choice to buy a bike I haven't actually touched or ridden.

That actually happens quite often! 

As for the suspension upgrade from Jamie D, it is totally worth every penny. It is absolutely amazing what that guy does at his price point. I really wish I could ride a 5th gen again with a proper suspension now that I am 130lbs lighter than when I owned mine. With a JD suspension and a good set of tires, the world is your oyster!

Okay...so I got the inspection results on the 2000 VFR. Reg/rec, battery and all other electronics check out fine. Plastics are OE and the bike shows no signs of crashing. Sprocket/chain are in good shape. Oil level is good and oil is clean. Brake pads F/R appear to be new; tires are like new though dated 2009 and 2011, so should be replaced. Fork seals are good, but uppers and lowers show pitting/rust; the mechanics impression is that the bike is in great shape overall, but may have sat for a while. Probably the fork will eventually need replacing, though the bike is safe to ride. Also had great things to say about Jamie Daugherty, with whom he works regularly. At my request, he said he'd ask Mr. Daugherty to take a look at the forks and give me a call with recommendations.

The upshot: I still like this bike. I think it deserves to be ridden and appreciated, both of which I can do. 20,400 miles on the clock. Seller is asking $2000 firm. Thoughts?

Archived